Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 05:03   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran
Re: Most Reliable Multihull Boat

Hi Tim,
Thanks very much for your very detailed, informative description of your L45 performance. This is beter than I expected. I have been happy with the performance of our Belize 43 but, would like the extra space of the larger Leopards. I was expecting to give up performance but, from what you are saying, it will not be much. We have been running some crewed charters in the south Bahamas and would like to have a bit larger cat with 4 heads. But, I cruise with my wife for most of the year and like to have some good sailing averages.
The larger engines would be a plus as well. There are lots of times we need to motor sail to make schedules.
One more question, how about the bridge deck clearance?
Have you had any issues with this?
Thanks again,
Dave
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:06   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Does taking a remote control for the autopilot and bow/ stern thrusters onto the forward saloon turn it into a cockpit? Lol.
Only if you can still reach the sheets from there, remember sheets - they are on sailing boats, and any cat that needs thrusters has an issue.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:49   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecalvert View Post
Hi Tim,
Thanks very much for your very detailed, informative description of your L45 performance. This is beter than I expected. I have been happy with the performance of our Belize 43 but, would like the extra space of the larger Leopards. I was expecting to give up performance but, from what you are saying, it will not be much. We have been running some crewed charters in the south Bahamas and would like to have a bit larger cat with 4 heads. But, I cruise with my wife for most of the year and like to have some good sailing averages.
The larger engines would be a plus as well. There are lots of times we need to motor sail to make schedules.
One more question, how about the bridge deck clearance?
Have you had any issues with this?
Thanks again,
Dave
Hi Dave,
I would be astonished if moving from your Belize to a Leopard carried any performance penalty, at all. Bridge deck clearance, on the other hand, will not be as good. The Leopards pay for their smaller windage, in part, by having less clearance. It is a compromise, and remember that much is gained from decreased windage.

When I first got Jet Stream, every slam was an unwelcome surprise. But 1) I quickly got used to it, 2) I found it not much different from most other cats, and 3) I realized that, just as on monohulls, most of the pounding came from motoring more or less straight into the wind and chop, which is what most folks do. Long ago, on my mono, I learned to take the waves at more of a "sailing angle" and, lo and behold, the pounding stopped. It is very similar with Jet Stream. On sailing angles, and motoring somewhat off the wind, the pounding isn't bad. Problem is that most folks dispense with sailing upwind and just blast away with their engines. Since cats, in general, are not quite as close winded as mono's, this is an even more prevalent practice on cats. And yes, under those conditions, any cat will be at its worst, pounding wise. My bottom line is that I wish that cats (or monohulls for that matter) did not pound. The Leopard probably pounds a bit more than a higher bridgedeck cat might. But, I have made my peace with it, and take every opportunity to minimize it by finding the most comfortable angle. It's not an issue, for me, and I enjoy the benefits of the compromise. Others may disagree!

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 13:31   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post

So a privilige 39 has an "Exterior Aft Saloon" with a tiny cockpit far aft and port of it? For that matter a Fischer Cat must have no salon or settee as it has an interior and exterior cockpit?
I think your incorrect. If you look up cockpit it mentions a place the pilot and crew or even passengers may sit. Or a place where battle is done lol (could be anywhere on a boat) It mentions nothing of controls, Or Helm station. Does taking a remote control for the autopilot and bow/ stern thrusters onto the forward saloon turn it into a cockpit? Lol.
Boy ho boy , bow and stern thrusters , I though that this forum was for sailing multihull s , do we have a " stink boat " owner in our midst !? And the sheets that factor is referring to are not found on a bunk either .
Cheers and happy sailing ( if you sail of course )
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 13:46   #80

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Have seen a couple of Prout 39 escale that had thrusters probably because of a single engine . But still the terminology is what it is whether sail or power lol. I would still call the area infront of the salon a forward cockpit myself,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 06:01   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran
Thanks Tim,
I had guessed this. Boats are all about compromises.
Once we sell our Belize 43, we will be looking at the available Leopards.
Your comments have been very helpful,
Cheers,
Dave
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 18:46   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanos2b View Post
Lagoon are quite bad, they all have structural problems, the interior is very bad quality, plus, they are not good at sea (like most catamarans). I worked for charter companies, they're not looking for good boat, they are looking to make profit. I repaired differents boats, Lagoon, Catana, Foutaine Pajot, Dean are brand that you definitely should avoid. Catanas and fountaine Pajots from early 90' are reliable. Old prout cats are reliable also.
I owned prout, it was a reliable boat but still, you can't sail closer than 55° of the wind. Now I'm in a monohull, best choice to go anywhere without motoring
What problems did you experience with Catanas ~ from what I have read they have come out tops. I am about to make the leap from mono to multi so want to make sure I'm doing the right thing
Camelot47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 22:43   #83

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot47 View Post
What problems did you experience with Catanas ~ from what I have read they have come out tops. I am about to make the leap from mono to multi so want to make sure I'm doing the right thing
Ill answer on the 431 as we looked into these - the bridgedeck may need reinforcing due to fatigue (early 2000s versions) not a big deal but make sure your surveyor knows these boats.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 02:33   #84

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Ill answer on the 431 as we looked into these - the bridgedeck may need reinforcing due to fatigue (early 2000s versions) not a big deal but make sure your surveyor knows these boats.
Barra,
Is this the type of repair you are referring to:-
Pacific Bliss - Bulkhead repair 16:13.5N 61:32.0W [C431]
or another issue with Catanas?
Cheers,
Mac
Wraith_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull, paracelle