Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 17:44   #16

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' NERISSA
Re: Mooring Fields and Catamarans

I was on a mooring every night for 10 nights in BVI the 42' cat we were on behaved identical to the mono hulls around us, don't listen to the BS.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 17:56   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Catamarans don't have keels? Drop the dagger-boards to be well-behaved in a field of monohulls. ... My 35-foot motorboat has about the same keel depth as my Dad's former 29.5-foot sloop, so can't imagine they would have behaved significantly different.
Old 23-03-2016, 18:21   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I was on a mooring every night for 10 nights in BVI the 42' cat we were on behaved identical to the mono hulls around us, don't listen to the BS.

We have been in many situations in mooring fields with current on our catamaran. They absolutely behave differently. With wind opposing tide the monos would sit peacefully into the current, our cat was sailing 360 degree circles around the mooring.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 20:22   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We have been in many situations in mooring fields with current on our catamaran. They absolutely behave differently. With wind opposing tide the monos would sit peacefully into the current, our cat was sailing 360 degree circles around the mooring.

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. I have been stern to stern with Power of Two when I was on A7, and also been pointing in the same direction. When I was next to Charles mostly we were pointed in the same direction, but not always.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 20:39   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. I have been stern to stern with Power of Two when I was on A7, and also been pointing in the same direction. When I was next to Charles mostly we were pointed in the same direction, but not always.

Yes, but there is no meaningful current in that location.

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 21:39   #21

Boat: secondarily boatless

Hi 805Greg,

people like you are the reason why I write less and less while I sail more and more. Ten nights - WOW! We've been out here for two and a half years, with very little time in marinas, and we know better.

Oliver

Quote:
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 01:05   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Quote:
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps your experience was unusual.

I was just giving my thoughts & reflections after approx five years of ownership of two catamarans.

And if my experience was 'BS' and not representative in your view, you have the option to ignore it.

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 14:49   #23

Boat: 1994 Fountaine Pajot Venezia

We are very lucky in West Palm Beach, we are putting in our own moorings and it is legal at this point. I own 4, I use one and rent 3.
I have a 42 ft Fountaine Pajot. There is no really big issue with a cat, it does stress a little more due to windage.
My biggest issue happens when there is opposing current and wind. The current will move the boat to one end and it will turn around and catch wind in the back and sail to the other end. This happens weather on a mooring or anchor. I have seen some monohulls do the same. They usually have a smaller keel and a large bimini. Good Luck!!!
carpe vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 16:57   #24

I moored my two trimarans in mean low tide of 12 inches and never had a problem. At times the multihull will dance around but it is much lighter than the monohull and the stress on lines is far less than on a monohull.
A big blow came in one night and stayed for about 30 hours. It was a constant 50 mph for that timeframe. It was not an issue of weight or windage. Lines were the responsibility of the boat owner and those many that failed were because of poor seamanship. Every year I replaced my mooring lines and those in the field that did never had a problem, except from the up-wind boat that broke free.
The bridle was braided nylon and I used braided nylon to the mooring ball. My first trimaran was a Crowther Buccaneer 24 that might have weighed 600 pounds fully loaded. This little light boat was the dancer. It was the Corsair 36, the heavier boat, which never moved after it faced the wind. I always assumed it was because some wind was going under the nets, between both amas and main hull and it kept it balanced and in place. But also it is very important to have the bridle made that fits your boat. If the lengths are off by two inches the boat will sit funny and that will stress the short side.
I stayed overnight a few different times just to get it right. With the stars out I think we feel a better connection to the wind and currents and that made all of the difference.

Each vessel has it pluses and minuses. Each vessel is connected to the sea and the wind. If you connect with those three your sailing life will be magical. Just say “taint so” to those who are unconnected. Then help them get connected.
easycruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 17:03   #25

The reality is, in some conditions all boats can behave differently.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, mooring