Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 04:24   #46

Re: Mini-washer Daewoo

We use the Candy 1042D 4kg machine. It weighs in at 47kg, which, in the world of washing machines is quite good, and it has a good history of use in marine environments. It is smooth, gives a great wash and spin, but it is thirsty.

On the question of ballast/being level. You probably wouldn't use this unless on shorepower. In which case you will be level in any event.

An on-board washing machine is a life-changer for comfortable cruising.
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:28   #47
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
On the question of ballast/being level. You probably wouldn't use this unless on shorepower. In which case you will be level in any event.
Except for those liveaboards that do not use shore power.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:41   #48

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

One way the industry will be saving weight (for shipping) in the future is to remove the heavy concrete ballast and instead have a water filled container as ballast. Obviously you fill this once the machine is installed.

Perhaps this could work on boats. Create a container the same shape as the block, fill with water when needed, drain when you don't want the weight.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 19:48   #49

Just in case anyone was interested in the Daewoo 3.5kg washer/dryer combo, just noticed it's available on Amazon for $1,300: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07D4FP35G

220VAC only.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:16   #50
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Oops, delete
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 05:40   #51

Boat: Lagoon 39

The Daewoo being wall mounted how would you ensure the spin cycles don’t damage the structure it’s attached too in the long run? Do you reinforce the wall or use back plates? What’s the best method to instal the Daewoo Mini safely and properly?
BenCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 06:11   #52

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCo View Post
The Daewoo being wall mounted how would you ensure the spin cycles don’t damage the structure it’s attached too in the long run? Do you reinforce the wall or use back plates? What’s the best method to instal the Daewoo Mini safely and properly?

It needs to be through bolted to a bulkhead or other vertical surface with large backing washers or plates. The unit itself is very light and stiff. If the load is not even then some vibration can resonate through the boat but this could occur with any spin cycle on any sort of washing machine.

These are excellent machines ideal for use afloat.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 08:18   #53

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Mine is mounted to blocks of wood epoxied onto the hull, then screwed through into a large piece of ply. It's also sitting on a shelf. You know when it's spinning but it's not excessively vibrating. It's not going to cause any more damage that a small wave hitting the hull.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 13:45   #54

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Mine is bolted through a heavy ply bulkhead which is a structural part of a 1970's fibreglass production yacht. I sometimes feel the vibration throughout the boat on a spin cycle. I am not worried at all but I could be concerned if my boat was a more modern yacht of lightweight construction. The bulkheads may or may not be strong enough or fitted to the hull well enough to take the stresses of anything fixed to it that was not originally engineered by the yacht designer to take such a load.

I know caravan builders are providing optional strengthening for mounting things such as washing machines inside and bicycle racks, etc, outside of the front and rear caravan walls.

If your vessel is relatively new, I would consult the builder and or designer first. Once fitted, monitor the bulkhead and joins for stress cracking etc.

It is well worth pursuing as the mini daewoo is a great addition to our lifestyle.
Old 22-10-2020, 06:07   #55

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

When we made the washing machine decision we opted to maximise the load capacity, above all other considerations, partly because we had six kids and up to five adults, but also because we wanted to minimise power consumption, water consumption and washing time for a given load. The Daewoo capacity, with a load of 3kg/6lbs, seems tiny, which in our case would have meant that we were washing all day. We opted for a slimline top loading automatic washing machine with 7kg/15lbs capacity and sacrificed one of our four shower rooms to become a dedicated laundry room. This has been a hugely successful decision. A big advantage was that it fitted through the slim head doors, without requiring any joinery and it didn't need any installation. Variants of this machine are available from Hotpoint, Whirlpool and Electrolux for about 500 Euro/590 USD. At 64kg it is almost 4 times the weight of the Daewoo, but its energy rating is better (A++ compared with A+) and the extra size and weight give benefits like higher spin speed (1200RPM vs 700RPM), lower water consumption (1314 l/kg/pa vs 2420 l/kg/pa - 9200L p.a. for 7kg load vs 7260L p.a. for 3kg load) and, probably, lower (weight-dampened) vibration. The Daewoo is a little quieter at 65dB at 700RPM, compared with 76dB at 1200RPM, but I wouldn't imagine there would be much difference at the same spin speeds and, of course, the higher spin speeds significantly reduce drying time (if required).
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 21:40   #56

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chablis 1 View Post
Hi all,
I’m considering installing a washing machine and for obvious reasons weight is a concern.
Has anyone ever used the mini-washer Daewoo CV 701PC or the newer model CV 801PC?
Wat’s the consumption and the performance? Any breakdowns?
Is there any other manufacturer doing similar wall mounted machines?

Best regards,
Thomas
We have owned two of these, and that's both a recommendation and a caveat. The first one lasted 3 years in a marina while I was still working and therefore using more clothes. Then the main bearing failed. I'm not sure if we were just unlucky or whether it's a design weakness. I think the seal went first and then the bearing started rusting. I could not find a way to replace the bearing even though I was in Singapore where it's possible to source almost anything.

On the other hand, we had found it so useful and an ideal size for a 40ft cat, so I ordered a replacement. This one has so far lasted another 3 years and shows no sign of complaining BUT we are now cruising in the tropics and the load is much reduced.

As a potentially useful post-script, the 2nd one was delivered to Malaysia where I had been generally successful claiming duty free "yacht in transit" status. But the customs people insisted that the Daewoo was not 'yacht equipment' and I would therefore need to pay duty. I recall desperately telling them that nobody in their right mind would buy one UNLESS they lived on a yacht, but to no avail. The rate of duty was quite shocking so be warned!
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote