Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2019, 15:01   #61
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55
Re: Million dollar catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Why is she wearing anything?
One of the advantages of a remote anchorage is you can do what you want to do, including nude snorkeling.
I, for one, put on shorts to snorkel, as I don't want my dingly dangly male parts to be confused for a tasty pescadorian tidbit.
BTW - when gold was $273/ounce, I bought some coins and later gave them away as graduation gifts to nieces or the children of family friends.
My serious money I invested in real estate or myself - I started a business. A lifetime and divorce afterwards, I could retire early and do kinda **?!all I wanted - within my life parameters.
Cruising life is good.
The Lady sharing my boat right now is usually dressed (kind of) most of the time because there are other boats in the area.

As for gold and real estate, I tend to agree. I was willing to speculate in gold and currencies before the 2008/09 real estate crash. In 2006 I sold all of my real estate holdings. Now I am 100% liquid investments outside of the U.S. except for my SSI and retirement income.

Oh! No wife or children either.
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:17   #62

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
It is not what "they" are allowed to take or have off, it is what they allow themselves to take.

I read about a man earning 6 Billion a year (yes Billion) as a hedge fund manager, he simply liked the game of moving and making money.

If only he used his powers for good instead of greed,
left some of the worlds finite wealth for others to share instead of taking far more than he could possibly need.

When on his death bed I wonder whether he'll get enjoyment from memories of bits of coloured paper and a life behind a desk or will he wish he had memories of enjoying life and travel instead?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:27   #63

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The best thing of boat ownership is that we are spreading a lot of money around. Well, maybe that's the second best thing.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:34   #64

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
The Lady sharing my boat right now is usually dressed (kind of) most of the time because there are other boats in the area.

As for gold and real estate, I tend to agree. I was willing to speculate in gold and currencies before the 2008/09 real estate crash. In 2006 I sold all of my real estate holdings. Now I am 100% liquid investments outside of the U.S. except for my SSI and retirement income.

Oh! No wife or children either.
Hmmm... I'm curious. I have often thought of doing exactly what you are doing.

Currently building/buying businesses, boats, and all sorts of stuff going on.

I don't have a wife. I have an almost wife. I have no children. What is your plan when you are old and feeble? With no children, do you feel you will be adequately cared for as you are approaching death? I know that's a dark question, but I have faced the same question and have considered your exact lifestyle.

I have not found many people living it, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the end of life stuff given you don't have a nuclear close family.

Hell, you seem to have made all of your other decisions correctly, so you seem like a good person to ask. Lol
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:49   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If only he used his powers for good instead of greed,
left some of the worlds finite wealth for others to share instead of taking far more than he could possibly need.

When on his death bed I wonder whether he'll get enjoyment from memories of bits of coloured paper and a life behind a desk or will he wish he had memories of enjoying life and travel instead?
Not to defend these kind of people as I have met several over they years. I have found that they are generally very nice but they are obsessed with working and while money is not their goal the game of making money is like a drug to them.

The few I have met to whom money is their god are truly sick people, they seek power and control through the acquisition and use of money to get people and countries to do what they want.

I had the opportunity to meet Henry Kissinger and former V.P. Dick Cheney, I came away from the time I spent with both men thinking that I have just met pure evil.
Old 29-04-2019, 16:01   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Hmmm... I'm curious. I have often thought of doing exactly what you are doing.

Currently building/buying businesses, boats, and all sorts of stuff going on.

I don't have a wife. I have an almost wife. I have no children. What is your plan when you are old and feeble? With no children, do you feel you will be adequately cared for as you are approaching death? I know that's a dark question, but I have faced the same question and have considered your exact lifestyle.

I have not found many people living it, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the end of life stuff given you don't have a nuclear close family.

Hell, you seem to have made all of your other decisions correctly, so you seem like a good person to ask. Lol
Old and feeble? Well if and when I reach a point where I am no longer able to live on my boat and enjoy my lifestyle I will sell the boat and move to a very private managed retreat in the Swiss Alpes where I can live out my remaining days in comfort.

Honestly I have given very little thought about my demise because once I am gone what will it matter.
Old 29-04-2019, 16:14   #67
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Old and feeble? Well if and when I reach a point where I am no longer able to live on my boat and enjoy my lifestyle I will sell the boat and move to a very private managed retreat in the Swiss Alpes where I can live out my remaining days in comfort.

Honestly I have given very little thought about my demise because once I am gone what will it matter.
Maybe you should be featured on an episode of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". You certainly don't have a problem sharing your amazing story with those you don't know at all. Most of the wealthy people I know don't feel the need to tell others how much they have and how simple it was to make and that everyone else who isn't wealthy just wasn't ruthless enough.
Old 29-04-2019, 17:22   #68

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:

I feel the same, but I have a little bit of concern about that last 10 years of life when the body starts to go and you kind of can't walk and stuff. It could be pretty harsh. So they have private facilities that are reasonably good? Like you will actually get good care?

Without any kind of patient advocate, it seems like it could get really dicey. Especially if the mind starts to slip a little too.

I am always hearing about how bad the facilities are in the states. I was thinking of going to Europe to do it as well. Or even a country where the dollar goes a lot farther. I'm thinking the standards of care when you are an ethnic minority and male may not be quite up there.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 17:50   #69

[QUOTE=maxingout;2875842]When we were in the boatyard in Florida , we were surrounded by million dollar catamarans.

Wow!

Who can afford to purchase a million dollar cat? And who can afford the insurance on them?
/QUOTE]

What does one GET for the extra thousands upon thousands? Seeing some VERY nice cats for 2 or 300K.

Heated towel racks? Magic finger beds? Mirrored headliners?
Inquiring minds wanna know.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 18:18   #70

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

There is a HUGE range in the cost of boats that different people like and have
We are a bit below the middle of the range with a home finished 47 footer
We could afford fancier but prefer to go sailing and having fun to boat buying
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 18:23   #71
cruiser

Quote:
I feel the same, but I have a little bit of concern about that last 10 years of life when the body starts to go and you kind of can't walk and stuff. It could be pretty harsh. So they have private facilities that are reasonably good? Like you will actually get good care?

Without any kind of patient advocate, it seems like it could get really dicey. Especially if the mind starts to slip a little too.

I am always hearing about how bad the facilities are in the states. I was thinking of going to Europe to do it as well. Or even a country where the dollar goes a lot farther. I'm thinking the standards of care when you are an ethnic minority and male may not be quite up there.
There are some really nice (and expensive) facilities in Switzerland, I have knowledge of 1 in Bavaria and I am sure there are others. Generally you get what you pay for.

Back in the late 60's my Grandfather made his fortune in convalescent homes, typically 99 bed facilities. I used to earn money by doing painting and other maintenance, my Grandfather did his best to keep the various facilities clean and up-scale but most of the elderly were dumped there by their families and left to die.
Old 30-04-2019, 00:21   #72
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post

Kenomac is right in this regard. Most of these people whilst not actively searching for crowds, don't want to be in the middle of nowhere either (and neither do their wives and children).

......But many people would be surprised to learn just how many hours these wealthy people actually do work - it's a lot, and in general they can never truly 'switch off'.
With a career as Owners Rep and Captain of +$50m yachts. I can tell you...It is a bit more multi dimensional than that.

Most wealthy Owners of Superyachts and families crave the remote destinations and adventure cruises, but it is often the logistics of harmonized surveys, sophisticated maintenance needs and lack of support in those remote areas that scare off the Captains, who are more comfortable in the Med or East Coast US.

To them, a cruise to Alaska is an adventure...one to Micronesia, Fiji, PNG or Indonesia with only commercial yards or lightweight support in Australia
.....prevents them from staying much longer in those Areas.

My interviews with many Owners and their Captains doing project consulting for a world class Superyacht Hub in Subic, confirmed their desire to be places other than the Med and Carribean. The Pacific is the big attraction, but also the hardest logistically.

I also found living with the super-wealthy on board was that their high work ethic was never driven by attaining more money but developing things to higher levels.

Their belief that they had the Wealth, Organization and Power to achieve higher goals easier than what the ordinary person could do, became a responsibility

Their CEOs handled the profit margins of the main Company, the Chairman looked ahead to creating new opportunities and creating a legacy

Often a byproduct was more money, but the impetus and inspiration often came from quiet times on their yacht, when they were not distracted and could think outside the box.

It was a fun perk to often have them bounce new ideas off of me.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 00:28   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That’s because you’re looking for them in the wrong place. The Med and Caribbean are loaded with wealthy people enjoying themselves on expensive yachts. They tend to frequent interesting places with great food, warm weather and culture, not... islands in the middle of nowhere where it’s a struggle to find fresh food.
Great food... maybe, culture... in Tasmania?, warm weather... surely you jest!

Seen in various anchorages in Tassie for a few weeks:

Amongst the superest of the super yachts, Aquijo, some 87 m LOA and a bit bigger than I think I want, and with an air draft of ~94 m.

So, not all of these types seek out the Med or the Caribe, but come to humble Tasmania, just as Ann and I do despite not being very .01% ourselves.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	191115  
Old 30-04-2019, 00:38   #74

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
With no children, do you feel you will be adequately cared for as you are approaching death? I know that's a dark question, but I have faced the same question and have considered your exact lifestyle.

I gotta take exception to this line of thinking.... the idea of creating some offspring to wipe by backside when I'm senile seems like the worst reason for making any. My mother lived in the US for much of her life, but when she grew too sick with dementia for my father to take care of her, they moved to Hungary where 24 hour nurses lived with them at their house for about 2 grand a month USD. Not everyone can afford that (certainly not Hungarians) but for those with a foreign income or small savings it is doable. She only just passed a few days ago, but the last few years were made bearable for both of them by this home help. Go further and you'll get cheaper... retire to north Thailand and you'll get someone to live with you for 500 bucks a month to wipe your backside as needed. Indeed, the 20+ years of financial commitment to even one child probably helps to negate a lot of that financial security you're looking for later. And lastly, don't assume your children will take care of you, no matter how much they love you. It is a devastating task, they'll have their own families and problems, and asking them to put their lives on hold for years is not something I'd want to do to one of mine.

The three of us have no children nor ever will.... we'll sail and travel until the first of us needs constant medical care, and then relocate somewhere warm and cheap to get it. If you have enough investment income to cruise, you have enough to hire someone later when you need it. No kids required.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 00:45   #75

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Oh. Re the catamaran for a million bucks.... I'm parked next to a brand new Amel 55 that costs about that...she makes our little 26 year old super maramu look shabby in comparison. Owned by a lovely russian family we've been having a blast with. Like someone else said, a million dollar boat to me is the same as my 200k boat to a lot of my old friends: impossible, and a waste of money. Those russians look at the 45 meter boat a bit farther up the dock and can only dream, and THAT guy is dreaming about a new plane.

Calculate the percentage of your net worth your boat represents. Now think of the guy who has 20 million. Or 200 million. Or 2 billion. We meet them all the time living on the boat in the Med. We anchored next to Vlad Putin's best friend in Italy on his 90+ meter yacht. But the dude is worth 10 or 20 billion. That boat for him is like me buying a new dinghy. It's all relative.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran