Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 14:34   #31

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re: Melbourne International Boat Show - Very disappointing from a multihull viewpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
The attitude is rampant in Vic because these people have no idea.
Quote:
I have heard it all from so called experts about why cats are no good in Vic.
Wrong weather?
Will tip over in the bay, even though its not deep enough?
Cats make you seasick?
Cats can not come social racing because we dont know how to work out your handicap,so no wed night sailing for you.
Dont be put off though as more and more cats are arriving in Vic and once people come aboard they love them,until then they have no clue.

I must agree, a few years ago when researching cats, I recall being advised that cruising cat are only any value in Queensland, and would never be any good on Port Phillip bay because of the short chop. I am happy to report I have found no proplems at all.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 14:54   #32

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Melbourne International Boat Show - Very disappointing from a multihull viewpoint

I have been on a couple of Big Cats on Westernport Bay and found them to be the Bee's knees,

These same big Cats also race up and down the Tasman, Between Melbourne and The Whitsundays in Qld,

Which thoroughly convinced me that a big Cat was the way for me to go,

I have fished and skied on Port Phillip Bay on small fishing and ski boats, A big Cat would have been excellent,

Not skiing behind a sailing cat, But you get what I mean, Hahahahaha

They have plenty of shark cats here, They are an excepted boat, Motor Cat,

But if you whack a set of sails on a Cat, For some reason it then becomes a dangerous vessel,

Its just ignorance, Or not Prepared to take their heads out of their clacker and look at the advantages a Big Cat can give them,

Cheers,
Brian.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 15:08   #33

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Many of those same Vic's will end up in Qld for the climate. My mother did 65 years ago.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:19   #34

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
The GM should know which was the fastest boat at Geelong, he may have had a close up view at it!
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:24   #35

One day when i was doing some work on the cat at the dock in Vic a old bugger kept going at me about why cats are no good with every reason he could muster.
Then he tells me he is a purist, i ask him what boat he has and surprise he does not even have a boat.
From there i tell him to go away then the wife says what does he mean by purist?
My take = not in budget! Two hulls are dearer than one.
Old 05-02-2012, 22:04   #36

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
My take = not in budget! Two hulls are dearer than one.
Ok ill bite cat are no good for the bay at all, as I dont have the budget due to 3 girls at school.

But if you would like to prove me wrong Id love to do a passage to QLD I would be willing to be proved wrong

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 22:10   #37
Marine Service Provider

Actually I was driving along recently on Beach Road Melbourne and we stopped in a carpark near Sandringham to watch a cat cruise past. It was a Gemini and it was bobbing up and down to the point where my wife said that she would never buy a boat like "that one." I had no answer as it seemed to be bobbing away more than it should have. I suspect it wasn't developing enough power from the headsail which may have been causing it. It was windy but I wouldn't have said it was overly rough. I had to add 5 ft to my minimum purchase length after that episode.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 22:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Actually I was driving along recently on Beach Road Melbourne and we stopped in a carpark near Sandringham to watch a cat cruise past. It was a Gemini and it was bobbing up and down to the point where my wife said that she would never buy a boat like "that one." I had no answer as it seemed to be bobbing away more than it should have. I suspect it wasn't developing enough power from the headsail which may have been causing it. It was windy but I wouldn't have said it was overly rough. I had to add 5 ft to my minimum purchase length after that episode.
Are you sure it was a Gemini and not a Seawind, as there is only about 3 in Australia, One in Adelaide and the other is in Sydney I think, Mines in Port Stephens on the Hard,

They do look very similar, There is another cat that looks like a Gemini as well.
Not sure what that one is tho,
Old 05-02-2012, 23:06   #39

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

He is just stirring you Mr B.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 23:16   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
He is just stirring you Mr B.
Shame, I was hoping there was another one around,
Old 06-02-2012, 00:10   #41
Marine Service Provider

I'm sorry I should have prefaced that telling Mr B not to read that as I'm hoping for a ride when you get yours back! Certainly don't think it was the fault of the design, it was rough and there were literally no other boats out.

Certainly was a Gemini, quite a distinguished type really. I've never seen it again in Melbourne so I do suspect it was visiting, looked as good as brand new at the time. I've pretty much located all cats in Melbourne with the exception of PeterP's stomping ground and Geelong.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc
Ok ill bite cat are no good for the bay at all, as I dont have the budget due to 3 girls at school.

But if you would like to prove me wrong Id love to do a passage to QLD I would be willing to be proved wrong
The boat is sitting in Qld at the moment, welcome to come try it out anytime, there is usually 2 spare bedrooms to choose from, do you prefer queen size beds or just a double?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:59   #43

This is my Baby,

On both sides under the cockpit. It has Gemini 105 MC written on it.

So you cant mistake it for some thing else, They all have the Gemini label on them.

Now, this is what you call a Catamaran, Eat your hearts out peoples, Hahaahahhahaha

Some thing for you all to drool over.

Cheers,
Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tere Hau Nui_2.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	37038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heathers piccys Fiji Sailchute Boat Us 308.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	37039  

Old 06-02-2012, 04:25   #44
Marine Service Provider

They do look good that's for sure. There was one in a window (advertisement) for sale a while back in Melbourne but I'm buggered if I can remember where. It was brand new or a year old from memory. It may have been Sandringham or Absolutely definitely have seen one zooming about near Sandringham.

Tags
boat show, multihull