Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 17:24   #16

Re: Maverick 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorMac View Post
Wow, my wife & I really liked the layout of the 440 in Annapolis & had it on our short list. After viewing those videos, it is now no longer there, that is shocking...
That is one of the reason why I started this thread. I know the boat in the video is a 2011 Maverick 400. Was looking to see if there were any issues for 2009-2010 boats (which I think they won awards for). Also is this an issue with the 440's. I was also looking for any Maverick owners who could attest to how the 440 sails and if they had any issues like the video above mentions.
Breenme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:06   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

If it looks like..., and it smells like...., it probably is.

Buyer beware.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:32   #18

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorMac View Post
Wow, my wife & I really liked the layout of the 440 in Annapolis & had it on our short list. After viewing those videos, it is now no longer there, that is shocking...
I know. My wife absolutely loves them too, but I just can't.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:16   #19

I am new to this forum. I have been following the thread on another forum and have been to the factory a number of times. I have met 4 Maverick owners and have sailed on most of their boats. I am retiring soon and my Maverick 440 will be started early 2017.
I also was concerned about Andando. I have spent many hours in the factory and have seen emails, bank transfers, etc.
The builder did make mistakes, he has paid large sums to a NZ yard to rectify the problems. There are also many sides to the story, builder, owner, skipper1, skipper2, NZ boat yard, NZ courts.
Andando is hull 8. Not sure of hull 9, hull 10 is also NZ owners, they have been living on board for 3 years, hull 11 is the US show boat the last two years- German owned, hull 12 is circumnavigating Australia, hull 14 is in the Carribean, hull 15 was launched 3 months ago, hull 16 and 17 are in the factory.
I believe in the product, they have made mistakes, but they have learned and have remedied these.
You are welcome to contact me. I am based in Pretoria, South Africa.
Steve King Kingst567@gmail.com
KingS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingS View Post
Andando is hull 8. Not sure of hull 9, hull 10 is also NZ owners, they have been living on board for 3 years, hull 11 is the US show boat the last two years- German owned, hull 12 is circumnavigating Australia, hull 14 is in the Carribean, hull 15 was launched 3 months ago, hull 16 and 17 are in the factory.
Thank You KingS. I have a question though, I thought Andando was a 400 not a 440? Wouldn't each line have its own Hull numbering system? And from your research only hull #8 (andando) had these issues? Hull #10 hasn't had any of these issues? I am assuming you were impressed with the Maverick's sailing abilities.

And thanks again for your input.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breenme View Post
Thank You KingS. I have a question though, I thought Andando was a 400 not a 440? Wouldn't each line have its own Hull numbering system? And from your research only hull #8 (andando) had these issues? Hull #10 hasn't had any of these issues? I am assuming you were impressed with the Maverick's sailing abilities.

And thanks again for your input.
The other factor to consider is what effect has this publicity re 'Andando' had on the resale value of these boats?
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff326 View Post
The other factor to consider is what effect has this publicity re 'Andando' had on the resale value of these boats?
I am hoping that they lower the price personally being that I am buying used at some point. I plan on being on the boat for at least 10yrs or more, so not as concerned about me resale at the other end more concern that the boat will last 10 years or more while I own it. ;-).
Old 11-12-2015, 18:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breenme View Post
I am hoping that they lower the price personally being that I am buying used at some point. I plan on being on the boat for at least 10yrs or more, so not as concerned about me resale at the other end more concern that the boat will last 10 years or more while I own it. ;-).

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:14   #24

Hull numbers: The 400 and 440 both start of in the same moulds, for the 440 the short aft step is cut away and a new longer transom fitted. Thus the same hull numbering system. Andando was the last 400, since then all have been longer ones.

Resale: I looked into this as well, not one Maverick has been resold for less than the original contract price.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:22   #25

I see I have not answered all the question:
None of the other Mavericks had these problems. Look at hull 10's blog and see how they are enjoying themselves. Our Journey
Also look at hull 2's blog Seismic Wave
Hull 4 blog Bahamas: Abacos
Old 12-12-2015, 06:35   #26

Missed another question, sailing ability - what I liked most is that I can sail the boat single handed, my wife will only need to help me when coming alongside the doc. They have a neat step at the chainplate on which she could stand and hold onto the stays and not need to jump onto the doc.
Raising the main, unfurling and furling the genoa, reef one and reef two, tack and gybe all without leaving the cockpit.
This is not a light racing boat, we sailed at 8 - 10 knots on the last one during sea trials. North sails and Southern Spars chaps were onboard and Said that they were very impressed how close the Maverick sailed to the wind in relation to other catamarans.
The builder showed me stats of the deliveries from Cape Town to Annapolis. The first trip the skipper did this in 52 days non stop at an average of 6.4 knots, the second trip had one rum stop in the Carribean, however the ave speed for the trip was 6.3 knots.
Old 13-12-2015, 01:25   #27

I am currently sailing the world in a Maverick 440. So far completed over 16000 nml and a most of which was in the Southern ocean. Our boat still like new with out any problems.
We just love every thing about it from layout to performance

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
floatdaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 08:39   #28

Great blogs look like people are definitely enjoying their Maverick’s.

What scares me after watching Peter’s video’s on Maverick #8 Andando the poor build quality and quality of the materials used. I would find it hard to believe that the problems are exclusive to this hull.

Now saying that. I would not exclude a used maverick from my list BUT the price would have to reflect the poor reputation of the builder and survey, survey, survey!

As far as a new purchase at full price not a chance in hell.
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 15:37   #29

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44
Maverick 440

I asked Rudi at Maverick directly about these videos, since I had been communicating with him since Miami.

From his side in a nutshell, yes there were issues with that boat.

They were addressed at the factory and for this individual.

Beyond that, the owner posting videos is now sailing with it and omitting a lot of his own actions.

Base on their production schedule, and current 440 owners comments I'd say they've moved on.

Two (or more) sides to everything obviously, but I recommend contacting them directly for what has actually occurred up to now, including procedural and legal attempts at rectification vs listening to opinions online.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-03-2016, 00:00   #30

Boat: Aloha 34

I don't think he's out enjoying Andando. He's selling it for whatever anyone is willing to offer.

2011 Maverick 400 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote