Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 14:02   #1

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Marples CC trimarnans…….

Any Marples owners or sailors care to comment about the performance of these boats?

Specifically the CC 44 Fast Cruiser…..

Or the 37. Winner of the OSTAR….

Look like nice designs. Curious about real world performance and personal experiences??

Thanks in advance.

S
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 08:14   #2

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Marples CC trimarnans…….

We've crossed tacks with a few from 35 - 40+ feet. The Nicol is actually faster and I think Searunners are too. The Constant Camber construction results in a rounded V hull, to get displacement they are deeper in the center and finer at the ends which reduces top speed. Their motion is smoother and less abrupt than a Searunner making them a comfortable cruiser. The owners we've met like them very much, the center cockpit helps keep the weight in the center, working well with the hull shape. Any cruising tri is going to be a slower beast than a racer because of the larger hull shapes to handle the payload so watch out for the apples/oranges thing when contemplating intended use. A skinny racer carrying 3000 pounds would most likely not perform as well as the Marples carrying the same amount.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 08:55   #3

Thanks Cav,

I am a mono huller educating myself on the virtues of Multi hull cruising.

When planning a passage I use an average of 100 miles per day. 2300 miles, 23 days. Curious what an (planning) average would be for The Marples tri. 150 maybe 200 per day.??? I know that they are capable of that and better. Just curious of what panning and realistic expectations might be…

Safe to assume that light air performance is good as well………???

Tx
Old 14-12-2013, 09:27   #4

Those 200 mile days are exceptions rather than the rule, it takes a good wind from the right direction. It really comes down to the wind and the sailor, you have to change sail up and down for the conditions to maximize performance. If you set and forget you won't see a large difference from your mono. I'd plan conservative at about 120 and see what your results are.

CC's will go faster and more comfortably off wind than you r mono. Upwind how fast you can stand going over the waves will be the limiting factor in a breeze. Cruising you'd be more comfortable throttling back. In light airs there is not as much difference in speeds unless you are flying more sail, Screachers and spinnakers make a much bigger difference on a multihull as you aren't limited to hull speed so if you want the miles you have to gear up for them unless you are in the trades.
Old 16-12-2013, 02:56   #5

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Hello All,
I have a Searunner 37. When I sailed it from Miami to RI I averaged about 5 knots. Bear in mind the boat was in rough shape, solid prop, old sails, no spinnaker, un cooperative weather. I give you this as a reference.
Communications with John Marples indicates that he believes the CC is a far better boat. I would trust his opinion.
Old 16-12-2013, 08:32   #6

All I can tell John is what we have seen in the real world of less than perfect bottoms, sails and cruising payloads. We've sailed around about 6 different CCs and 4 different Searunners over the last few years, the Searunners seemed quicker with a more bouncy motion. It is understandable why John would make that statement from a marketing view point. I'd probably pick a CC over the Searunner for the motion but if I was on a budget the Searunner would be quicker, the ride I could live with. We've also sailed around Cross, Kismet and Piver cruising tris in the PNW.
Old 17-12-2013, 05:06   #7

Thanks Guys,

I have noticed that the Searunners have a quick, quirky motion. Would no have guessed that the Searunners would be a faster boat. Interesting.

I have a few preliminary designs for the CC boats. The hull shape is a bit more refined than the SR. I would opt for the better motion and cleaner construction. My guess is the CC boats if loaded properly and sailed well would be good performers as well. To be sure the CC 37 that won the 1985 OSTAR had to be a good performer.

I have seen a few 37's for sale lately. Strictly cruising boats. One with the fixed keel. I wonder about her windward performance? My guess is that it is fine. That would certainly simplify the the boat .....having no centerboard.

S
Old 17-12-2013, 07:37   #8

CCs are good performing boats the differences are not huge. I think the speed difference comes from the Searunner main hull which is the multi chine approximation of a V forward to a rounder midsection and U shaped stern, better for speed. The chined amas add a lot of the bounce, towing around my 31 amas they almost hopped out of the water on wakes. A V or rounded V is much gentler, John's Seaclippers have a lot of merit for budget construction. CC can't produce the Searunner shapes but the clean construction is nice. I don't mind the airplane fuselage look though, the stringers are handy for interior construction.

I think a good keel would work fine but the shallow draft is nice for cruising. Careful the Searunner guys don't use it to keel haul you as a heretic !
Old 17-12-2013, 07:41   #9

Yes good point......LOL Ignorance is bliss Man!!!!!

Still the 37 with fixed keel is only 3 feet or so. Maybe a touch more can't remember. That's fairly shoal draft in my book.
Old 21-06-2014, 13:20   #10

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran

...but then again, our swing keel lifts up to offer rudder control in 2 1/2 feet of water, on our 40 ft. serunner
Old 21-06-2014, 15:07   #11

I have never sailed my 35cc center cockpit, it was built by a master and is getting close to being finished, currently there are over $40k worth of parts in the boxes and I still would consider selling her for under $30k...
http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/uu358/multihuller/?start=20#!cpZZ3QQtppZZ24

multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote