Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 14:23   #1

Mark Prescott designs for open ocean cruising.

Hello to all,
I have been reading this forum with great interest for some time and would now like to ask a couple of questions of my own (first post).

I am looking to start building a catamaran in the next couple of years and am considering the Mark Prescott designs. We intend to use it for blue water cruising and require all the attributes for this of course. We are definitely not looking for a floating palace, we live simply and intend continuing to do so.

Does anyone have any experience with these boats?

An associated question is regarding the daggerboards. I read so many comments on problems with them for cruising with buildup of barnacles etc. Is this a real problem or are there simple processes to use to avoid this issue?

Thanks in advance.
timber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 14:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Mark Prescott designs for open ocean cruising.

Great boats, really good, wonderful performance and quite good cruise-ability. A mate has one, wins open ocean races and then loads the family up at the race finish and goes cruising for a few weeks. I can put you in touch with him if you like.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 14:57   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

They are a great boat, the owner and I brought one from Bowen back to Brisbane several years back.
This particular vessel was very impressive in light air.

If building, do a step extension at the start, though I believe the newer designs may already have this drawn in.
Old 06-04-2012, 15:41   #4

Thanks very much for the positive comments. I was beginning to feel I may have made a poor choice. No-one seems to mention them.

I will look into the step situation.
Old 08-04-2012, 14:44   #5

Prescott or Pescott?

http://www.markpescottmultihulls.com/
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 21:01   #6

Sorry - Typing error. Mark Pescott.
Old 12-04-2012, 00:34   #7

Email Mark Pescott. You can reach him through the contacts on his web page.
Mark assisted me with my purchase of an 11.1 out of Phuket. He then undertook a full refurb for me. We are currently appreciating his work with a week on Moreton Bay.
If you talk to Mark about your requirements you will receive nothing but honest advice.
One day if we can afford it I would like the Sengigi!
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 19:08   #8

Donkey, Thanks for the comments.
The obvious question would be - what is your reason for considering the Senggigi? The extra length, styling, capability?
Old 13-04-2012, 21:06   #9

The comment on the Senggigi was just a throw away line. I do like the look of it though!
Mark has an impressive amount of experience and knowledge. He also does individual designs to meet particular desires. Making contact with him will answer many of your questions in an open, honest manner.
Good luck
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 02:49   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Mark has an impressive amount of experience and knowledge. He also does individual designs to meet particular desires. Making contact with him will answer many of your questions in an open, honest manner.
Good luck
QFT. wanna know about Pescotts, talk to Mark Pescott, want to know about Easy's talk to to Peter Snell, wanna know about Schionnings, talk to Jeff or Spriteds talk to Craig, Lizards talk to Peter Kerr, Kendricks Ray, Farriers Ian etc. All the Australian (yeah I know Ian is a Kiwi) desingers seem to be very happy to talk to people about their designs.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 03:19   #11

I always thought that a good way to ceate a fine Cat or Trimaran would be to buy two (3) used sail boats, remove the Keels - redesign the hulls and attach the hulls with beams.

This would remove much of the detail work needed and create a fine Cat or Trimaran?

For years I have not been able to find plans that would guide me in this process. Or indicate if this idea is even feasable?

Has anyone out there considered this - or know if this is possible? Advisable?

libertyshipcapt@gmail.com
libertyshipcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 13:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyshipcapt View Post
I always thought that a good way to ceate a fine Cat or Trimaran would be to buy two (3) used sail boats, remove the Keels - redesign the hulls and attach the hulls with beams.

This would remove much of the detail work needed and create a fine Cat or Trimaran?

For years I have not been able to find plans that would guide me in this process. Or indicate if this idea is even feasable?

Has anyone out there considered this - or know if this is possible? Advisable?

libertyshipcapt@gmail.com
Not really feasible. Most mono's have a LWL:BWL ratio of somewhere around 3 or 4 to one. Multi's hulls are up around 10:1 or higher.

Also keelboats are designed to carry the weight of their keel, which is considerable, so after that weight was removed they would be floating a long way above their lines.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 15:27   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I saw a home made version of what you speak of a few weeks ago. It was a Flying Fifteen hull converted to a Tri with two Hobie 14 or 16 hulls with a cabin built on top of the Flying Fifteen hull. It was an interesting contraption, only a little bit ugly due to the need to have the cabin up reasonably high in order to get a decent usable interior space.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 00:23   #14

Thanks for your responses Cruising Cat and Ausaviator! It's no doubt that Cats and Trimarans are the most seaworthy vessels out there. But so expensive ! - Rightfully so !!!

Be safe out their guys!
libertyshipcapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising