Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2006, 09:34   #1

Marinas in NC or SC for a cat

Looking for marinas in NC or SC that can dock a catamaran with a 44' length and 25 beam. I have checked into New Bern. What else is available? Apreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks.
Hunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 09:48   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
This Search would seem to suggest that there are a number that warrant a closer investigation.
Old 16-03-2006, 11:39   #3

And when you do find a marina that accepts catamaran. Be prepare to pay twice for the slip of mooring. Due to it being a multihull. Marinas charge "twice," due to multihull owners boats being like two boats, in one!!

That's just how they price this stuff?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 21:21   #4

CaptainK

That's ********!

I've had my 36 catamaran for 9 years. I've done 3 round trips from NJ to South Florida and NEVER EVER paid double anywhere.
All of these BB have "lurkers" like you ready to discredit multihulls with your old wives tales of all the things that "someone told you".
New Bern is a wonderful place to stay. A geat little town, and either marina in the harbor is reasonable. I've stayed at both.

Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 21:30   #5

Well Excuuuuseeee me marc.

WATCH YOUR TONGUE WITH ME MISTER!!

For one. I was pointing out some general specifics.

And two. I really know nothing about that area.

But I have heard. Not that I'm saying that I do know for sure, about general prices.

And watch your slandering tongue next time, Marc. I'm a major contributor here.

Oh as for "********." I think you're made of it?

Another thing. I'm not knocking multihulls here. I'm a fan of them. But it's just so, that I own a monohull.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 16-03-2006, 21:43   #6

Sounds to me he was having a bad day.

What's up with that?

I'm not trying to knock multihulls here. All I said was probably be prepared to pay more than the usual slip fee. (Regular fee being monohull fee).

If I'm wrong. Please feel free to enlighten me. Without the cussing and insulting here!!

I am learning about multihulls. I always find it great to read about the posts on this forum.

Old 16-03-2006, 22:27   #7
Kai Nui

Marc, right back at you!. If you would like, I would be happy to send you a copy of the additional rate schedules here on the west coast for multihulls. In this harbor in particular, cats are charged 1.5 times the per foot rate, and tris are charged double. I own one, and am a proponent of multis. Of course, I would have to agree that it is "********". Not because it is not true, but because it is unfair. Moorings are usually not affected, but slips, at least in this area, most certainly are. East coast may be different. Can't say, as I have never slipped a multihull out there.
Old 16-03-2006, 22:30   #8

Thank you Kai Nui!!

We out on the west coast know what to expect out here. So anybody out on the east coast, can attest to the general prices over there for multihull slips?

But maybe things are different out on the east coast?

Time to change myth to reality?

Old 17-03-2006, 07:12   #9

TYPICAL!!!
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 11:10   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
I can speak of only 7 marinas that I have stayed in with my catamaran. The New Bern Sharaton, The Hollywood marina (Florida), The City Dock (Charlston, SC), Town Creek (Beaufort, NC) , Southport Marina (Cape Fear, North Carolina), Skull Creek marina off Hilton Head Island and a marina in Georgia whose name alludes me at the moment. None of these marinas had any price differential for my catamaran. I am only 37 x 22, but I didn't see any differential for larger boats.

Having said that, I have consistently seen a price differential for having the boat hauled. We always have to go out on the bigger lifts and they have always charged us more. I can only speak about 4 boat yards that I were large enough for us and I received quotes for. 2 boat yards I did have hauled and paid a premium of some sort for the larger beam.

Since Hunter was looking for marinas in North and South Carolina, I think this experience varies. I am not certain California, does.

Good cruising

Keith

Georgetown, Bahamas
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 13:33   #11

Boat: PDQ32
sometimes you pay less

I was able to slide my PDQ32 into the same slip where I previously kept my Beneteau 331 so there was no price impact. Had we gone to a larger monohull in order to gain the same accomodations we would have been in the 40 to 50 foot slips where we would have paid significantly more.

So clearly it is more economical to own a cat....
Old 17-03-2006, 18:05   #12
Kai Nui

Northern and southern Ca have very different rate schedules for slips. From what I have been told "Heard from someone" Channel Islands charges additional fees for multihulls. Monterey, Moss Landing, Santa Cruz, Fortmans Marina in Alameda, Those are the ones I know for sure. Many boat yards can not handle over a 20' beam. Hunter34, this will probably be of little concern to you unless you happen to get out this way, but I am sure some marinas out east have similar restrictions.
Marc, take a chill pill. I'll mail you a beer. Good grief man, no need to get ticked off just because someone states a fact you do not like. I do not like it much either, but that does not mean it isn't true.
Old 17-03-2006, 18:27   #13

Yeah!!! :cubalibre

Old 17-03-2006, 21:14   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Kai Nui
I was a little shocked when I saw the rate multiplier for cats and tris. With many modern cats just as wide as the older trimarans it seems very unfair to charge double for the trimaran. I have not stayed in many marinas other than my home port but I have never been asked to pay any additional fee anywhere on the Great Lakes or upper East Coast. There always seems to be an end tie or a spot on the breakwall.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 21:56   #15
Kai Nui

The harbor district here has been getting some heat over this and recently entertained the idea of changing the policy to reflect vessels with "extra wide beam". With this method, they would assess fees based on the percentage of width of the slip that a vessel takes up. For instance, if the average 40' slip is 15' wide, and a 40' tri with 20' beam was berthed the fees would be 133% of the standard slip fee. I could live with this, but allot of the bigger fishing boats are resisting, as many of them are very wide. As a result, nothing has changed because the harbor commision can not come up with an idea that will keep everyone happy so they just take no action at all.

Tags
marinas