Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Manta Owners, or Those Who Know Mantas

Manta Owners,

What a wonderful multi-hull vessels these are! I am not a MANTA owner, but I managed Manta Catamarans USA for years in Sarasota FL. I found my passion for custom marine woodworking while having the pleasure of working for this company.
Unfortunately Manta closed their doors in 2008, because of a change in ownership (with original owner becoming terminally ill). But with that said I have found a lot of forums and discussions by Manta Owners who do not really know who to contact regarding questions, maintenance or repair/refits of their vessels.
After Manta closed their doors I continued on my own by starting a company called SRQ Woodworks Co in Sarasota Fl. I just want to let all Manta Owners know if you have any questions, I am still around and would love to help you out in any way I can. I worked hands-on, on every custom Manta (Sail Cat and Powercat) that is out there cruising today. I also managed many departments of production & manufacturing, most notably carpentry/cabinetry/interiors.

Please see the special page I dedicated on my website for Manta Owners who are looking for any assistance, or may even have a question about configuration, materials used etc. [ link to commercial website removed - TJ ]

I'd like Manta Owners know their is still someone out there they can turn to. The old Manta Production Facility is now re-leased to a fitness company and there is no longer a telephone number to call for direct assistance. But if I cannot answer your questions, I have kept in contact with old colleagues that may be able to assist you as well.

Happy Cruising & I am glad to see so many still enjoying their Mantas!
srqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:47   #32
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Regarding diesels under the aft berths, there is no queston that they are less convenient, in benign conditions, for checking fluid levels than diesels that are accessed through the transom steps/aft deck. However, if you ever need to bleed, or repair a diesel in order to assist in staying off a lee shore in extreme conditions (or in order to make harbour in advance of them becoming extreme), you would be thankful for diesels that are accessed from the interior.

There is significantly less access to diesels mounted aft and this problem is exacerbated in heavy seas. Furthermore, by having to be outside and aft you are exposed to not only wind and wave, but potentially to green water. This is to say nothing of the electrical equipment - ie. starter motors, solenoids, alternators, voltage regulators etc. that can be soaked in heavy rains/seas while the lids are open.

Think that you would never need to effect repairs/bleed the injectors in bad conditions? Think again. It is rough conditions that are most apt to create air locks, or to stir up impurities in the tanks that will require bleeding; and, waterpump impellers etc. are just as apt (and according to Murphy's Law, more apt) to fail at the worst possible time.

Installing diesels under the aft berths dramatically increases access, convenince and safety for repairs underway. It also keeps the weight out of one of the ends of the boat, important for two reasons: weight there increases the tendency to 'hobby-horse'; it also reduces reduces buoyancy aft, significant if you wish to run before a storm. As has already been pointed out, it can also lead to installing the saildrive either aft of the rudders, or in front but too close to allow the installation of folding props.

For the voyager, the installation of the diesels in the Manta makes perfect sense. For those who intend to charter a boat, or to sail near shore, in primarily good conditions, much less so.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 13:52   #33
pbr

Great answers Mark, however the original 38 was not a stretched 36, it was new tooling based on drawings for a 42 Lerouge.
Pat
pbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 14:50   #34

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Ah! Mystery solved! People have been trying to determine that for ages. It LOOKS like one of Lerouge's 36' cats and seemed logical to just extend it. Why was it cut off instead, and why did it take several years to get it back to 42'?

How did Ice Wars - the phantom Manta 50 - make out in the Carib 1500?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 14:55   #35
pbr

I think the Canadians chose 38 to avoid copycat laws if they applied. Ice Wars detoured to Bermuda, the owner didnt give me a reason other than he had never been to Bermuda.
pbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manta