Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 01:45   #1

Boat: Seaward 24
Maldives 32

Good morning !!! Muy name is Ricky , i am from canary island and my*english*is not so good, i,m sorry..
Muy wife and me have a*Seaward*24 and de want sold it, de want buy a Maldives 32 and our plan is to live and go around the world. I have some questions..
Is possible this plan with a maldives 32?
Interior*height in kitchen and bathroom?
I have read that there is a Maldives 32 in lanzarote, dos anyone have information to visit it??
Many many thanks to al and i am very sorry muy level of*english.

Have a happy weekend..

Rickytennoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 01:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Maldives 32

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ricky.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 02:23   #3

Many many thanks...
Old 25-10-2019, 04:11   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickytennoury View Post
Good morning !!! Muy name is Ricky , i am from canary island and my*english*is not so good, i,m sorry..
Muy wife and me have a*Seaward*24 and de want sold it, de want buy a Maldives 32 and our plan is to live and go around the world. I have some questions..
I have read that there is a Maldives 32 in lanzarote, dos anyone have information to visit it??

Have a happy weekend..
I am in Lanzarote now (playa blanca). If it is in Playa Blanca/Marina Rubicon I can visit and take photos for you.
mikedefieslife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 16:36   #5

Quote:

Have a happy weekend..

FP Maledives is too small for go around the world, it is a blue water capabale boat but more for ocean costal sailing. possible size water tank very limited, fuel tanks limited, not enough payload for a all the gear and provisions for long passages. Minimum size is the FP35 Tobago.

In 32ft i suggest a PDQ32, the only 32ft that is capable to go around the world. Or seawind but they are very expensive.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 21:24   #6

Boat: Elan 410

in the price-bracket I presume a monohull would be much more satisfactory...
Old 27-10-2019, 01:14   #7

Many thanks,, is very importan for us your opinions. Multihulls are fantastic but the problema are the prices... i thought that if a Heavenly twins 26 could aro u d the world,so a Maldives 32 ... bye and good day
Old 27-10-2019, 01:49   #8

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Something to consider about these smaller catamarans (and even some of the bigger ones too) is that once they have a bridgedeck salon sometimes the actual outdoor cockpit space starts to be very small, losing some of the advantage of having a catamaran in the first place.

This is also dependant on where you prefer to cruise. In temperate or cooler climates that indoor space is useful and can be more easily heated and you will 'live' inside there. It feels more like a small apartment.

In the tropics it's the opposite and this bridgedeck area can often have poor ventilation as well as blocking the airflow to the cockpit too, and in general you want to 'live' outside.

It might seem counter intuitive, but in the smaller size catamarans I prefer a more open deck design. This will however still need some protection for sailing, especially offshore - a pod, a dodger, or a hard bimini top with some clear fronts and sides.

But for the tropics the open bridgedeck design, especially with a hard bimini top and some clear fronts and sides, gives a much larger on deck space which can be reconfigured for different purposes - sailing, at anchor, cooking, sunbathing, parties, extra guests, etc, etc.

In the tropics you will spend most of your time out on deck in this space and it's nice if it can be as large as possible. Apart from the normal daily eating and relaxing, you may also decide to cook and sleep out on deck too.

This large space can also be useful for boat projects and repairs as well.

If budget is a consideration and you still want a catamaran, you may also think about a Wharram Tiki 38 design as another option too. It's easily capable of sailing around the world.

jmh2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 05:02   #9

Thank you very much for your information, I am collecting data about the Maldives 32 and this helps us a lot ... I thought that if a Heavenly Twins 26 can go around the world, why not a Maldives 32? Thank you so much for everything
Old 27-10-2019, 05:57   #10

Quote:

Have a happy weekend..
THERE IS ONE IN PASITO BLANCO,,,
swanpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 05:58   #11

HELLO,
ONE MALDIVE, IN PASITO BLANCO,, 4 YEARS THERE, ASK THE OFFICE MAY BE FOR SALE,,,
swanpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 06:10   #12

wooohh many many thanks!!
Old 27-10-2019, 08:47   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

Quote:

Have a happy weekend..

Hello Ricky.
I own a Maldives so i will try to answer at some of your questions.
First of all yes, the Maldives is capable for ocean sailing and crossings and this is why you can find this velssel all over the world, BUT, as another user states, there are a few limitations: the water tanks that are not very big, ok, nothing that can really prevent anything with some self control specially considering that with manual/pedal pumps is easy, but forget long comfortable showers. Beside the water tanks i think that the only other limitation is space considering long term cruising, but if you are only 2 as you said, you have at least 2 whole front cabins to use as storage.

The headroom in the hulls is around 1,85, maybe slightly more, in the main salon is much shorter, around 1,70 but, when you pop up the roof (and i do that all time) headroom becomes around 2mt so you move around the boat with no issues at all ( I am 1,87cm).
I don't know about your budget, but in that price range you are simply getting the best cat out there, fast, simple and reliable.
good luck
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 15:03   #14

Boat: Elan 410

Take care: that a desing can circumnavigate does not mean it's the best boat for you rtw. Rory did it in a Tiki 21!
Old 27-10-2019, 17:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Take care: that a desing can circumnavigate does not mean it's the best boat for you rtw. Rory did it in a Tiki 21!
People went with a rowing boat of the ocean but that doesn't mean you have to copy a high risk mission someone stretching the limits and had luck he/she succeeded.
Different people have different risk levels, just count an ocean crossing takes 30days plus 10days security how much provision, water and fuel you need.
Oh yes people done it in 15days, me 2 but I also needed 28days on a FP47 and we had luck at the end and exceptional experienced crew otherwise that easily would be 40 or 50days as all went wrong on a new 47cat with 1200l fuel, water maker, genny and all you wish....

There is just a payload limit on FP32 which is simply not enough for 2 people, all provisioning, water, fuel and security backup you need for a most likely safe crossing with some small risk involved.
Tiki are great, simply and ocean going. As suggested 35-38 are cheap and minimal size you want. But tikis are wooden boats which needs a lot maintenance compared to a FP GRP cat. Ready for that?
As Riki said FP32 are everywhere, true but they are shipped on a big ship there or even new in pieces. Some where brought by single handlers, living on absolute minimal to make this long passages with high a risk involved.

CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Maldives