Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2019, 17:25   #16

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Maldives 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
Hello Ricky.
I own a Maldives so i will try to answer at some of your questions.
First of all yes, the Maldives is capable for ocean sailing and crossings and this is why you can find this velssel all over the world, BUT, as another user states, there are a few limitations: the water tanks that are not very big, ok, nothing that can really prevent anything with some self control specially considering that with manual/pedal pumps is easy, but forget long comfortable showers. Beside the water tanks i think that the only other limitation is space considering long term cruising, but if you are only 2 as you said, you have at least 2 whole front cabins to use as storage.

The headroom in the hulls is around 1,85, maybe slightly more, in the main salon is much shorter, around 1,70 but, when you pop up the roof (and i do that all time) headroom becomes around 2mt so you move around the boat with no issues at all ( I am 1,87cm).
I don't know about your budget, but in that price range you are simply getting the best cat out there, fast, simple and reliable.
good luck
Yes it can sail ocean but circumnavigation is a different cup of tea.

Did you sail your FP32 overloaded in heavy ocean conditions like high waves, burring your bows into every wave which massively slows you down? And bridgedeck clearance gets near 0 due to overload which results in permanent slamming. And you need to overload it otherwise you don't have enough water, food, gear, security setup for long passages.
FP is a great cat, just not that what he needs for a safe circumnavigation with still some acceptable risk involved.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 01:42   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
There is just a payload limit on FP32 which is simply not enough for 2 people, all provisioning, water, fuel and security backup you need for a most likely safe crossing with some small risk involved.
What is this payload limit then in KG? It should be listed on the plaque inside or in the documents. I'm guessing that it probably is enough for two people. If they are careful.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 06:17   #18

To save some weight...
-Watermaker
-Trolling motor and more solar (can help you get thru doldrums etc...instead of more fuel)
-Dry food instead of cans
-Dyneema rigging
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 06:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
To save some weight...
-Watermaker
-Trolling motor and more solar (can help you get thru doldrums etc...instead of more fuel)
-Dry food instead of cans
-Dyneema rigging
Yes water maker is a must have (with emergency backup in mineral water bottles 3l per day for 2 if it breaks) as it's impossible to put big enough tanks in a FP32. Costs 2k minimum, more likely 3-4k used.
And how do you run the water maker? Big inverter, min 800W of solar (no space to stick that on that small boat), 600aH AGM Bank (very heavy) or 400Ah lithium (expensive). Or a 2000w Honda genny which I suggest. But still the energy for a 4 weeks permenant running autopilot, fridges, nav gear needs to be there too means big battery bank. And no big alternators on the engines to charge battery.....only way is the Honda genny and enough fuel for it plus the engines too.
That all sums up quickly. You even have to watch the weight very closely on a FP35 Tobago to not overload it for that purpose.
Old 28-10-2019, 06:46   #20

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

^^^ Total good sense there. Because many questions about boat systems can easily become circular discussions.

The only real solution to this is more waterline length. But with most modern boats more waterline length also means more accommodation, so you don't necessarily get any advantage.

I have my own solution to this question especially when budget is a consideration, but it's not a very popular idea in this forum unfortunately.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 06:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
^^^ Total good sense there. Because many questions about boat systems can easily become circular discussions.

The only real solution to this is more waterline length. But with most modern boats more waterline length also means more accommodation, so you don't necessarily get any advantage.

I have my own solution to this question especially when budget is a consideration, but it's not a very popular idea in this forum unfortunately.

Please tell me more about this not very popular solution. Transom extention?
Old 28-10-2019, 06:58   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

Quote:
Yes it can sail ocean but circumnavigation is a different cup of tea.

Did you sail your FP32 overloaded in heavy ocean conditions like high waves, burring your bows into every wave which massively slows you down? And bridgedeck clearance gets near 0 due to overload which results in permanent slamming. And you need to overload it otherwise you don't have enough water, food, gear, security setup for long passages.
FP is a great cat, just not that what he needs for a safe circumnavigation with still some acceptable risk involved.

I sailed in very uncormfortable conditions and big sea, but never overloaded because for me, no matter which cat, the weight must always be as low as possible, so even more on a performance oriented cat like the Maldives. The bridgedeck of the 32 is more than many bigger cats but still keeping it as hight as possible.
But i agree with you that for circumnavigation a 32 would not be the best option having the budget for a bigger cat; food, gear etc is much related to habits of crew. I know at least one Maldives used as liveabord and actually sailing from far east to Eu (CHISAILING) and when i exchanged a few email with the owner he only said great things, so again, everything is quite subjective.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 07:09   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Yes water maker is a must have (with emergency backup in mineral water bottles 3l per day for 2 if it breaks) as it's impossible to put big enough tanks in a FP32. Costs 2k minimum, more likely 3-4k used.
And how do you run the water maker? Big inverter, min 800W of solar (no space to stick that on that small boat), 600aH AGM Bank (very heavy) or 400Ah lithium (expensive). Or a 2000w Honda genny which I suggest. But still the energy for a 4 weeks permenant running autopilot, fridges, nav gear needs to be there too means big battery bank. And no big alternators on the engines to charge battery.....only way is the Honda genny and enough fuel for it plus the engines too.
That all sums up quickly. You even have to watch the weight very closely on a FP35 Tobago to not overload it for that purpose.

This is what you put on a 32ft: https://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Power...f15aee2a4c8b3d
Old 28-10-2019, 07:19   #24

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Still no-one has come up with the manufacturers pay load limit. Without that, you've got no idea if it is overloaded or not.

Similar size boats easily work for two adults, so I guess we need to see figures, then the OP would need to weight up what he plans to take on board.

It's interesting that people always talk about 'overloading' multihulls yet no-one of them ever list the designed payload limits.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 07:25   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Still no-one has come up with the manufacturers pay load limit. Without that, you've got no idea if it is overloaded or not.

Similar size boats easily work for two adults, so I guess we need to see figures, then the OP would need to weight up what he plans to take on board.

It's interesting that people always talk about 'overloading' multihulls yet no-one of them ever list the designed payload limits.

Will have a look on mine and will answer later. Really dosen't make any sense to talk about overloading when there is no idea about the limits.
Old 28-10-2019, 07:47   #26

Boat: FP MALDIVES 32

Hi,
I´m new here.....
I intend to buy a Maldives.
Does anybody know if there are problems with osmosis?

Thanks
Kitecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 08:13   #27

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Please tell me more about this not very popular solution. Transom extention?
That is one option and almost every cat that does this seems to report positive results from transom extensions.

In general my overall solution is not complicated and is well known - more waterline length but the same accommodation. In this case, and very over simplifying, a Maldives 32 but with 40ft long hulls.

The Gérard Danson generation Outremer designs followed this thinking (Outremer 55L - wow - but still expensive even as an old second hand model).

Of course this is a negative for most people - adding (and paying for) length without adding volume? Crazy Most boats are going in the opposite direction - add as much volume as possible in the shortest possible length.

But on either a mono or a multi the simplest way to carry the necessary payload, stay light relative to length, and have fast comfortable passages, is to add waterline length.

Then the question is - how to do that within a given budget...

I'll PM you my thoughts on that to not hijack this Maldives 32 thread.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 14:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
well, first its crap and second it costs 4295$ and for people buying a FP32 due to budget not really in their budget.

The right and only way on budget: DIY watermaker with the cheapest kärcher high pressure cleaner as high pressure pump for 1000Euro all in.
https://watermaker.jimdo.com/wasserm...%BCr-999-euro/

Produces 50l per hour, the cheapest kärcher costs 60Euro used at high pressure pump. And the high pressure pump in the kärcher is made from plastic so no corrosion. All my sailing friends who own a boat have this one. With some standard plumbing stuff for 200Euro you install it permanently. With use of watermaker all 3 days for 1-2h, the 60$ Kärcher is proven to work for 3 years, so all 3 years a new one for 60 euro. It weights 2kg, fits handluage size and made out of plastic so every visitor and crew member can even bring it as carry on handluage. THey all have 3 replacement Kärcher on board=6kg weight.
Runs of a 1500W inverter, get 300AH lithium and two 390W LG solar pannels+wind gen on top of the mast for the FP32 and it fits running selfsufficent of inverter. Alternative if you have outboards on the FP use the 2000W Honda suitcase. With 3.5l of fuel and honda genny running this watermaker produces 500l of water. While making water it will also charge the battery with approx 10A...making water and charge battery. Also my planed setup, if another watermaker is on board i sell it and install the kärcher one.

load capacity FP32:
i was quoted 1400lbs or 635kg => dry wait 5200lb with 2x 2 stroke Tohatsu 9.9hp outboards and max. 6600lb displayment
So 300l of fuel or diesel + 150l water (with water maker!) = 450kg = 2/3 of your avaliable payload :-(

with transom extensions you extend FP32 to 10.50m or even 11m. Helps a lot with payload, assume you can add 600lb (10.5m) or 1000(11m) of payload and more stabilty in bad weather due to more waterlength. Here is a video. Not a hard stuff to do, takes a you 1week on the dry dock...if you are a handyman you can do it. A no brainer on a FP32, if I get the FP35 I made an offer I will extend it too by 1m.
FP32 Transdom extended one with 10.5m length, really looks good:

Like this plus 2 inboards version with 10hp diesel preferably yanmar or vetus and stick 80A alternators on them it could work.

yes outboards weight less but much more unreliable and no charging capapilities. I would have personal security issues with having a 150l fuel tank on board plus 150l in jerry cans for long passages. if you don't outboard and honda 2000W suitcase to plus watermaker above save a lot weight.
Old 28-10-2019, 18:39   #29

Quote:
You are so blinded and certain it is impossible to make it possible....

Im not saying it's the best choice...but definitely possible. 800W solar and 600Ah battery? Wake up! Sure it's a nice setup to have...and something I would go with....but most people on small boats have lot less. I don't know how much you have been cruising around in the world? But during my three different adventures on my own boats...I have met many people...some are on small boats...and sure...watermaker is becoming more and more common. Many is running Katadyn 40/80/160. or Spectra 150. Spectra for instance is drawing 9amp for 25 liter/hour. Expensive to buy new...can be bought 2nd hand for 2500 USD. Most of these people on smaller vessels I have met...have around 250W solar and 300-400Ah battery. Works just fine. Usually the fridge drawing most in total....and that one you can live without. So throw out the fridge and you have saved another 20kg.

Like I said...you save lots by provisioning dry food instead of cans. It's all about priority. maybe not something you could imagine yourself give up on...and you might not provision like other cruisers who stock up for 6 months...food for 2 months would save many kilos

On a vessel like this...yes...you need to save some weight here and there. But its's not impossible. Who said you need an oven? Throw it out and replace with 2- 3 burner stove. Weight saving 20kg.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 19:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
You are so blinded and certain it is impossible to make it possible....

Im not saying it's the best choice...but definitely possible. 800W solar and 600Ah battery? Wake up! Sure it's a nice setup to have...and something I would go with....but most people on small boats have lot less. I don't know how much you have been cruising around in the world? But during my three different adventures on my own boats...I have met many people...some are on small boats...and sure...watermaker is becoming more and more common. Many is running Katadyn 40/80/160. or Spectra 150. Spectra for instance is drawing 9amp for 25 liter/hour. Expensive to buy new...can be bought 2nd hand for 2500 USD. Most of these people on smaller vessels I have met...have around 250W solar and 300-400Ah battery. Works just fine. Usually the fridge drawing most in total....and that one you can live without. So throw out the fridge and you have saved another 20kg.

Like I said...you save lots by provisioning dry food instead of cans. It's all about priority. maybe not something you could imagine yourself give up on...and you might not provision like other cruisers who stock up for 6 months...food for 2 months would save many kilos

On a vessel like this...yes...you need to save some weight here and there. But its's not impossible. Who said you need an oven? Throw it out and replace with 2- 3 burner stove. Weight saving 20kg.

well just 10000nm on different boats of all kinds the last 3.5years from a 30ft monohull till a 47ft FP cat and the "final" a 75ft Leopard speedboat-motoryacht sailed with a kite system from La Spezia to Las Palmas without one litre of fuel used.

I am not blinded but I have or build up some security level which I got by spending 4500nm with a retired rescue boat captain, a retired US-Navy testpilot and a captain of a swimming hospital ship who I had the honor to join on some yacht deliveries. And I learned good food, enough water, frozen veggies as real vitamine source and several backups for life saving stuff are good precausions for the sh... that will happen on the ocean. yes you can save on all that, eat dry, canned and cold food for 3-4weeks, live on minimal water...but you are not on your full mental and fitness level with that supply. And you need all of it, if the **** really hits the fan.

The DIY watermaker runs with a soft starter also with 5A/220V and via small 1500W inverter easly of a 300AH lithium bank but produces 50l/h or even 95l/h worst case with a 2nd membran. I know a lot who thrown this low capacity 12V watermakers out and replaced it with this DIY one.

How long do you need to run this catadyn to make a decent amount of water? Answer too long and draining your too small battery bank 300AH AGM bank which weights a ton. and you don't charge a 300AH AGM bank with one 250W solar panel, charge current comes from the engine but the 9.9hp outboards have no alternator...and now?

Wh to produce 50l of water:
DIY (95l/h): 0,55hx5Ax220V=605Wh + 5% for inefficency inverter=636Wh
katdyn: 9Ax12Vx10h=1080Wh
plus having that noisy thing running for 10h sucks. Thats why all of whom I know throwed them out. Plus how much do spares cost and do you get them somewhere remote?? Well the high pressure pump in Katadyn or spectra costs >1000Euro on special order, the DIY 60Euro and every home depot store has it or delivered from online store everywhere in the world by cheap airfreight as 2kg weight/full plastic. but i don't need to order immediately as i have 3 kärcher on board as spare,using one occasionally to clean the boat...do you have a katadyn/spectra pump as spare, most likely not.

With the DIY you still get water if the inverter Or if the battery bank broke/is very low charged directly of the 2000W honda genny and re-charging the 300AH LI battery bank at the same time. And the genny needs approx 0.35l fuel for 50l of water and parallel recharge the Lithium battery bank to cope with power for autopilot/nav gear and fridge/freezer.

With your 12V Katadyn no water if battery is low or broken, because alternator failed and/or no sun/charger broke/controller broke/solar broke. Running it of a emergency genny also not possible.

so whats the better option: DIY without any doubt.

Tags
Maldives