Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 11:35   #1

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Maine Cat working on a 36'

Not sure how far along he is. He's looking for input.
Maine Cat 36 is on the board - Maine Cat Catamarans

I love the "great room" concept and the 360 degree view while sailing. I'm seriously considering looking for a used MC30 this winter, hope more details on the 36 come soon. The 30 has an amazing amount of room for its size, so I don't need more space for my weekender needs, but a wee bit more speed, pointing, and stability in the swells would be nice.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 14:06   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Have you sailed a Mainecat 30 before? They point and sail very well and have a really nice motion for being 30' long.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 17:34   #3

Re: Maine Cat working on a 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Have you sailed a Mainecat 30 before? They point and sail very well and have a really nice motion for being 30' long.
I've been on one for an afternoon. The owner said that it was "ok" in light air, but like many cats the greater wetted surface area resulted in monos being faster and pointing higher in very light conditions. Here in So Cal, many summer days have a high windspeed in the afternoon of ~8 knots, so while I understand that some owners have had their boats over 10+ in a stiff breeze, that's not a normal day around here. The owners group confirm that they are a bit underpowered for light air, some owners remove the stub keels, upgrade to a square top main, one even built a longer dagger board.

Like I said, I think the 30 is a fine boat and am looking for a used one, but that doesn't say there isn't room for improvement.

I see you have have the Seawind 1000, the boat I was on, the owner actually preferred the seawind, but since the MaineCat was US built it was better for his charter business. I haven't been on the seawind yet, need to find one for charter or that is in the daysail business...seems like it has a lot of nice features, but I like the open bridge deck of the Maine Cat.
Old 19-08-2012, 19:49   #4

Boat: SeaWind 1000
Own a Seawind 1000 myself and use it for a day charter business. Fits my purposes well. But I think the most outstanding differences between Seawinds and Mainecats is mini keels verses dagger boards. (Respectively)
MattMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 03:54   #5
smj

The original Seawind 1000 was a canvas top open bridgedeck. So if your lucky you could find one of the original canvas topped versions (very rare) or buy one with the hardtop and unbolt and remove it!
Old 20-08-2012, 11:34   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Like the Maine Cat designs, but man they are spendy for what you get.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 12:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes Sir. A buddy is looking at a late 90's Hunter 450 center cockpit for not much more than an early 2000's MC30....yes a totally different beast, but a big cushy beast the hunter is.

He loves being down below and wants something that feels like an apartment. I love a big open cockpit, entertaining, and the strataglas means it can be somewhat cozy year 'round in So Cal.
Old 20-08-2012, 13:23   #8
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor
Yeah but you get what you pay for. Maine Cat isn't a mass produced boat. But it is very high quality.
Old 20-08-2012, 13:27   #9
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424

Yes Sir. A buddy is looking at a late 90's Hunter 450 center cockpit for not much more than an early 2000's MC30....yes a totally different beast, but a big cushy beast the hunter is.

He loves being down below and wants something that feels like an apartment. I love a big open cockpit, entertaining, and the strataglas means it can be somewhat cozy year 'round in So Cal.
We have had two Seawind 1000's. The first was a soft top with 4' stern extensions and the one we own now has a hard top with vinyl front windows and 3' extensions. I loved sailing on our friends MC 30 and that's the reason we bought our first soft top Seawind 1000. There's no doubt for sailing in the tropics an open bridgedeck cat be beat for air flow.
Old 24-08-2012, 12:15   #10

Boat: SeaWind 1000

Mark424,
Since I'm not a trusted forum member I'm unable to reply to your message. (Confused, See joined date to left?) Send me your email and I'll send you the info you requested.
MattMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 12:52   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Look at the standard equipment on the MC41. Solar panels, folding props, vinylester, cherry wood, etc. That ain't no normal charter version cat.
Excuse the double negative but I'm making a point.
Maine Cat 41 - Maine Cat Catamarans

Tags
catamaran, maine, mainecat