Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2018, 18:50   #16

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542
Re: Maine Cat 22’

I was desperately looki)g for one of these last year. Oh well... I got a different model and have been enjoying.

I didn’t do the calcs but it seems from specs and reviews that the hull speed is ~ 15 knots (with her loaded as a sailboat). To get above that speed... the power needs go way up.

If you ever got her to 30 kts with the weight of the required engine, it’s my guess that you’ll end up having some real hull/structure issues or maybe even break her back.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Curious to hear what you do and what happens.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 20:30   #17

Like I said, max 25hp or you'll tear the transom off the boat. It was not designed or built to be used as a pontoon boat! Boatguy cant you go over and talk some sense into these folks? They are your neighbors after all.

I sailed one Summer season on one of these cats and it made me forget all the prindles, nacras, and hobies I ever sailed! It is a purist sailboat for folks who love to sail and tweak it to get the best performance.

Really sad that vahalla doesnt understand this boats rarity and pedigree, must be a full keeler owner.

If folks at SA got wind of this it would not go well, as they would see the sacrilege being done. Bet the OP s friends put him up to posting here to get a rise out of those of us who have spent their lives sailing. Put it up for sale and use that money to buy yourselves a pontoon boat, its not a beginners sailboat in any sense of the word sailboat.
Old 30-10-2018, 23:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Really sad that vahalla doesnt understand this boats rarity and pedigree, must be a full keeler owner.
No I understand: this was a derelict boat that was likely headed to a landfill and someone found a good use for it.

I get it, it was a nice sailing boat...but we aren't talking about a national treasure. Take Old Iron Sides, pull the masts and make it a power boat and I would agree with you. This is just a production boat that didn't catch on.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 16:35   #19

Speed is about weight and drag as much as it is about power. Remove the rudders, centreboards and anything else to do with sailing and seal off the centreboard slots.
Hang a 40 hp motor off a sled attached to the underside of the bridgedeck. Mount the sled on hinges so it can move up and down with the waves without the outboard leaving the water or submerging.

See how fast it goes (my bet is a fair bit more than 20 knots) then start putting stuff on it until the speed drops to unacceptable. You then have the choice of leaving it as is, extending the hulls to carry more weight and a bigger motor or adding the rig, rudders and centreboard (only needs one) and going motor sailing.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what you do and how it goes.

rob
Harryproa
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 18:56   #20

So it's been 5 months. I want to see some pictures!
patmo141 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, maine cat