Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 13:15   #16

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Mahe 36 vs Nautitech 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That's because you won't be on the boat very long...
:rofl:
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 15:55   #17

Boat: FP Mahe 36

I have posted several notes on the flaws of the Mahe, i know i have to live with them; hatches ARE toy like, furniture do squeak, and could be better fitted, but the no step is one of it's better qualities, and i do not yet understand why someone would think that a step down would stop green water from getting into the saloon (gravity you know) plus why would anyone sail with the doors open in such heavy seas,? I have beaten in short tall waves and other than the discomfort the boat took it much better than me ... or my dog.... i still think that the Mahe beats the Nautitech 40 in all around comfort and ease of living at anchor, which is about 85% of the time. The step down the hulls are perfect what are you talking about? My decks do not flex. Again if you want to know what's good or bad about the boat ask and i'll tell you impartially. The general design of this boat is very very good for it's size, unfortunetly it is build by FP....
Old 27-08-2012, 12:17   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That is an understatement.

That's because you won't be on the boat very long...
Fully agree. Get a remote for the autopilot and go there only if you really have to.
All boas are compromises and one has to choose his poison.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 12:31   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelhhhebert View Post
i do not yet understand why someone would think that a step down would stop green water from getting into the saloon (gravity you know)
No all steps go down. Some steps go up and stop water from entering (gravity you know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelhhhebert View Post
The step down the hulls are perfect what are you talking about? My decks do not flex.
I went aboard two Mahe and the flexing was very noticeable. Maybe its just an indicator that I should loose some weight @95kg. But it never happened on other boats, except these Mahe and Geminis (no, I'm not putting them in the same corner!).

The steps into the hulls looked, felt and flexed like these plastic steps you use for small kids when they can't reach the countertops. Maybe these steps were used only in early versions and they made them better in later years.

Anyway, as said I think you get a lot of boat ofr the money, you just have to live with the problems.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 15:42   #20

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

thanks rabbi, michelh seems to be the one who loves his boat a little too much. I was just makeing comment on the nautitech - not attacking someone elses opinion.
colemj I did state that we sailed the nautitech from the carribean to australia, thats a pretty long way, and the helms were not a problem for us, the boat is very well balanced and was on autopilot most of the way - that is what long distance cruisers do.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 10:32   #21

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

About the helm positions: I read a comment from a manager or director of Nautitech, last year. He bought a Nautitech himself, but the first thing he did, was ordering it with a helm against the cockpit, because he thought the Nautitech helms were downright stupid. :-)
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 00:11   #22

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I went aboard two Mahe and the flexing was very noticeable. Maybe its just an indicator that I should loose some weight @95kg. But it never happened on other boats, except these Mahe and Geminis (no, I'm not putting them in the same corner!).
The decks on my Hatteras 48 flex - its a 26 ton motor yacht built like a tank in the US.

I've never been on a cat where the decks don't flex, and given the need for lightness I'm not even sure no flex would be desirable. Flexing doesn't make something structurally unsound - take a look at the way aircraft wings flex during flight.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 07:07   #23

Ok after reading about the flexing i just stumped around the decks of my Mahe with my heels and did not notice flexing, maybe it is because i am ''just'' 80 kg :-) :-) :-) :-) . The steps in the cockpit of the Nautitech 40 go ''UP'' to the saloon??
Old 31-08-2012, 07:27   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

There is no deck flexing anywhere on our boat - even jumping on it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 01:25   #25

Boat: Mahe 36

I managed to go and have a look at both and while the Nautitech is obviously larger in overall size I get the feeling that inside the Mahe is actually more spacious. A deciding factor was that the Mahe is a Duo version and hence offers much more spacious bathrooms, which for a live-aboard version I personally feel to be very important. I could not support the very limited space in the heads on the Nautitech.
I definitely agree with many about the helm position and prefer the higher helm of the Mahe, especially for a newbie as me.
While some say the interior of the Mahe looks cheap, I much prefer that lighter look to many other boats I have seen, so I guess this is a personal choice for anyone. In my opinion it looks sleek, modern and adequate.
want2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 08:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2cruise
I managed to go and have a look at both and while the Nautitech is obviously larger in overall size I get the feeling that inside the Mahe is actually more spacious. A deciding factor was that the Mahe is a Duo version and hence offers much more spacious bathrooms, which for a live-aboard version I personally feel to be very important. I could not support the very limited space in the heads on the Nautitech.
I definitely agree with many about the helm position and prefer the higher helm of the Mahe, especially for a newbie as me.
While some say the interior of the Mahe looks cheap, I much prefer that lighter look to many other boats I have seen, so I guess this is a personal choice for anyone. In my opinion it looks sleek, modern and adequate.
The duo is a great choice, if ever you need more berth you can always convert one head temporarely into a berth... When buying a Mahe have the surveyor take extra scrutiny on the hulls for osmosis, some, not all Mahe have had this problem (dixit FP rep) the anchor roller is insufficently backed, easily reinforced from the back plate. If there is no port windows in the front windows, install one large one, but not the vertical opening ones that comes with 2008+ models, they are too small and let rain in. Change batteries for gels since they are not easily accessible for monitoring. If you questions, just ask i'll answer impartially.
Old 14-09-2012, 05:40   #27

Boat: Mahe 36

Thanks Michel for the recommendations, which are very welcome. might take you up on the offer of asking a few more questions soon :-)
want2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote