Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 16:14   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for first Cruising Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
With respect, you sailed a Bali, not a Catana. Different boats entirely. Same holding company.
With equal respect..
That's not what the blurb says.. and much of the finish is poor..

Introducing A New Breed Of Catamaran: Bali 4.5 by Catana

Debuted September 2014 at Cannes Boat Show
Leveraging its legendary technology and know-how developed over many years through its prestigious brand name, Catana is now focusing on cruising catamarans. The new Bali 4.5 will be built in the same tradition of Catana with the most advanced technology, lightweight and fast but with:
Increased living space and volume,
No dagger boards,
And a helm station option of bulkhead steering or a flybridge.
Catana recognized the huge demand for cruising catamarans in the 45 ft range and answered with this new innovative and well-thought-out catamaran with larger fresh water tanks, a tailgate to increase the cockpit space, and more open space.*Yet, this new Bali continues to live up to Catana's tradition as a performance catamaran manufacturer.
The Bali 4.5 was designed by Olivier Poncin and developed by naval architect, Xavier Fay, and interior designer, Herve Couedel. This is a very exciting development for Catana and many cruisers who prefer a lighter, faster catamaran but still want the comfort of a more traditional

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:29   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Looking for first Cruising Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
If you have the money, why not get something that ticks all of the boxes, and then some. Someone might think spending $400k on a boat is crazy. Another might think the $160k cat you suggested is way too much. There's a thread here on $30k cruising boats. I have a friend that is looking at cats over $1MM. That's well within his financial capacity, so why settle for something less. That said, I don't ever remember him buying a new boat once - instead typically allowing the original owner to take the big hit on depreciation. And like the others, in five years or so he will be looking to change boats again.
Well, we all have different financial perspectives and comfort levels.

Me, Im still driving my 89 Jeep XJ and relatively inexpensive boats. [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:36   #33

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Having just sailed a new Catana I can only say I'm not overly impressed by them.. it was a Bali 4.5.. basically a larger upgraded version of the old Catalac.. but.. if that's what floats your boat.!!!
boatman61,

What are some of the things you did not like about the Catana / Bali 4.5 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bali 4_5.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	140505  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:59   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
boatman61,

What are some of the things you did not like about the Catana / Bali 4.5 ?
Toe breaking bulkhead/frame by the steps in the two cabin hull to stbd.. thought it was there for a reason but no corresponding toe breaker in the other hull.. dinghy blocks stern light when hoisted on the davits.. steel on davits sharp edged enough to cut your finger.
Full deck forwards of saloon to the bow not only slams in relatively small sea's going to windward but also acts as a brake when she hobby horses under engine.. a Lagoon would have just powered on through the stuff we had problems with.. having sailed and motored both types in similar conditions.
Every time the DSC went off to herald urgent messages ( a Pan Pan and the Stbd Nav marks into Cartagena going out being just two examples) the B&G Nav Package would go crazy and the AP would cut out requiring switching off and rebooting.. also.. I still do not understand the reason only one engine charges the batteries.. why not have both engines with this capability.
The self tacking jib is useless for downwind sailing.. though I must admit she sailed pretty nicely to windward and pointed a bit higher than a Lagoon.
Had the trip lasted more than just four days to Gibraltar I could have given a better review but suffice it to say 2-2.5metre sea's were enough to convince the owner not to chance breaking her and to go with Seven Stars instead.. a Gib pick up to be delivered to St Thomas at the end of the month.

Old 01-02-2017, 17:21   #35

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:

Full deck forwards of saloon to the bow not only slams in relatively small sea's going to windward but also acts as a brake when she hobby horses under engine.. a Lagoon would have just powered on through the stuff we had problems with.. having sailed and motored both types in similar conditions.
Wow. your the 2nd one here on the CF to confirm the Catana / Bali solid bow slams and slows the boat.

That solid bow is one of the things that people seemed to like at the boat shows.

I hope buyers take these cats out for a test ride to see this before they buy.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 17:27   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Its a great party boat with all those cushions up front.. bikini babes lazing around..
There was a Helia in front of us at Gib.. nice looking boat.

Old 02-02-2017, 00:33   #37

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by finleyg View Post
Hello all!

I have been looking through hundreds of posts, but not sure I am getting the right info. Wife and I are looking for our first cruising cat. We had a Corsair F28R, and are now sailing a little windrider 17. We are looking for a simple, comfortable, blue water capable cruising cat or tri, less than 45 feet, would like it if it can sail out of it's own way, but blazing speed (and connected cost) of a Catana or Outremer is not necessary. Given the Corsair was cramped and uncomfortable, I want to get something my wife will feel comfortable in right away. Plan would be to sail the caribbean, then if things are really going well, consider heading west until? I would like to try to have the boat all electric, but I know a chorus of groans will erupt, so there you go (I had the Corsair running all electric, but wasn't really that successful). Early candidates appear to be the Lagoon 420, Helia 44, Bali 4.0 or 4.3, Neel 45, Leopard 43, Maine Cat 41? Dragonfly 1200? etc. Would like an owner's version, not interested in servicing 4 toilets. Would probably follow the Wynn's plan a little and go composting toilets and lots of solar. Budget? Maybe 400k us max? Probably 350 plus 50 for refit more reasonable? Or better to buy a roomy older boat and fix it up to my specs? At any rate, would love to hear your opinions. We would have a decent cruising budget, I am mechanically inclined and we are both fit and healthy.

Fin
Hi Fin,

lots of videos here on the 1160 Lite if you are looking for more details.

https://www.youtube.com/user/venomguysydney

we do not live aboard but mainly use the boat on weekends and the odd extended trip.

only item I would add to be a full time live aboard would be a small genset so you can run the aircon in the tropics however this time if year here in Singapore we do not use the airconditioners as there is plenty of wind about:

cheers

Andrew
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:30   #38

Boat: Windrider 17

Again, I am really gratified by the multitude of excellent, informative responses. Even though I am just at the beginning of my real search, you have helped me focus. I am going to finish my ASA certs and start chartering some of the types of boats we have been discussing to determine where on the comfort/performance range we belong. It is a huge leap to go from a 28 foot 18 knot tri with nearly no comfort, to a 40 foot cat with liveaboard capabilities. We need to continue to focus, but so far, you have all helped narrow that focus. Admiral and I appreciate your efforts!!
finleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:40   #39

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Hi Fin,

lots of videos here on the 1160 Lite if you are looking for more details.

https://www.youtube.com/user/venomguysydney

we do not live aboard but mainly use the boat on weekends and the odd extended trip.

only item I would add to be a full time live aboard would be a small genset so you can run the aircon in the tropics however this time if year here in Singapore we do not use the airconditioners as there is plenty of wind about:

cheers

Andrew
Andrew, what size a/c units did you install? On our Seawind 1000, we put an 8k BTU in the port hull for sleeping. A friend put in a 16k BTU that services entire boat, although barely. Dometic Turbo units both. Honda 2000 is enough for either.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:09   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
With equal respect..
That's not what the blurb says.. and much of the finish is poor..

Introducing A New Breed Of Catamaran: Bali 4.5 by Catana

Debuted September 2014 at Cannes Boat Show
Leveraging its legendary technology and know-how developed over many years through its prestigious brand name, Catana is now focusing on cruising catamarans. The new Bali 4.5 will be built in the same tradition of Catana with the most advanced technology, lightweight and fast but with:
Increased living space and volume,
No dagger boards,
And a helm station option of bulkhead steering or a flybridge.
Catana recognized the huge demand for cruising catamarans in the 45 ft range and answered with this new innovative and well-thought-out catamaran with larger fresh water tanks, a tailgate to increase the cockpit space, and more open space.*Yet, this new Bali continues to live up to Catana's tradition as a performance catamaran manufacturer.
The Bali 4.5 was designed by Olivier Poncin and developed by naval architect, Xavier Fay, and interior designer, Herve Couedel. This is a very exciting development for Catana and many cruisers who prefer a lighter, faster catamaran but still want the comfort of a more traditional
Bali has absolutely nothing to do with Catana other than being built by the same yard. To me Bali is just a joke, Mr Poncin , the owner of the group is a finance person as far as I know, Mr Fay as a naval architect is someone that I've never heard off, nor any successful boat that he ever designed.
The people who liked the solid bow should be the people who never sailed a cat on a bumpy sea.
To me using Catana name for this boat is a huge mistake and the best way to ruin brand heritage of Catana.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:19   #41
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by finleyg View Post
I note that your boat is a Helia 44? Definitely on my list. Pluses and minuses from your perspective, if its ok to ask.

Fin
I have two Helia's and sailed them extensively. I think she will suit yr needs very well. I agree with Cotemar on pluses. On the negative side I can only say that she does everything but does not excel in anything either. She's got lot of space but less than a L 450, she has a flybridge but not as good as some competitors are offering, she sails well but not as good as a Catana or Nautitech. In short, she's a bit of everything..
She's well made, solid boat and I believe she is a lot of boat for the money you pay.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:44   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Admiral 38 catamaran

We've been living aboard our 38 ft catamaran Makana for over 11 years. We sailed across the Atlantic from Africa in winter and have spent the past 7 years sailing between Maine and the Bahamas, Cuba last winter. We feel we've found the perfect match for performance, livability, size and enjoyment from our Admiral 38. We were at the factory for three months during the build and were able to customize numerous options. At time I wish she were larger other times such as yesterday while cleaning the bottoms I wish she was smaller. For us we appreciate that fact that she can handle blue water with our top speed to date being 16.9 knots as well as fit under bridges on the ICW. There are photos and links on my blog about the boat KITCHEN HUI | Food Blog, Easy Eats - Awesome Adventures

Cheers!
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:20   #43

Boat: Nothing yet

Newbie here.
Getting ready to retire in a year or so.
I'm have been pondering the same type of boat as the OP.

These are my priorities;
Capable of single handing (originally I wanted a large boat like 50' or over.)
Depreciated so used but still has plenty of life in it.
Cabin size not critical but finish and quality are.
It would be nice to have the thrill of fast cruising.
Capable of beaching.

So I have decided to go with a performance cat with dagger boards.
Probably a 471 Catana or 49 Outremer.

I looked at a newer 54 Alibi that originally was outfitted all electric.
The owner yanked the motors and put in diesels very shortly.

Let someone else be the guinea pig.
lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:25   #44

Boat: Nothing yet

PS I looked at the Bali at the Annapolis boat show and while the accommodations were nice it is not a daggerboard boat and IMO needs to be tested before one plunks down a wad of cash.

I was most impressed with FP and Nautitech out of the "Floating condo" boats.
lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 15:41   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Bali has absolutely nothing to do with Catana other than being built by the same yard. To me Bali is just a joke, Mr Poncin , the owner of the group is a finance person as far as I know, Mr Fay as a naval architect is someone that I've never heard off, nor any successful boat that he ever designed.
The people who liked the solid bow should be the people who never sailed a cat on a bumpy sea.
To me using Catana name for this boat is a huge mistake and the best way to ruin brand heritage of Catana.

Cheers

Yeloya
Depends on what you mean by "Catana". Are you talking about the organisation or the brand

The Catana Group (formerly Poncin Yachts Group) produces two brands of catamarans, Catana and Bali.

Just like the Beneteau Group produces different brands of boats, including the Lagoon. So is a Lagoon a Beneteau Lagoon? (Google finds lots of advertisements for Beneteau Lagoons for charter or for sale.)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising