Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 11:37   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Looking at a Gemini today any thoughts on boat or my plan helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
I would say a dual motor installation makes a cat more easy to manoevre. But I'm not a friend of Outboards. As I know some liveaboards starting with Outboards and after some years they remodeld the cat and changed to twin inboard Diesels.
I look from time to time to catamaran website of catamaransite.com where for some time a Catalac 10 m (34 ft) is offered. I have the same cat model, an earlier building# (built #5) since now 5 years and be happy with her. I use her as a river cruiser, at present on the Maine River near Frankfort am Main , Germany. With the two small Yanmars GM2-20 she is easy to manovre and the engines work very well.
To be clear my cat is not for sale, but as you look for something affordable in the same length range, I think it is worth to tell about the Catalaca 10m what is for sale at Affordable Cruising Catamarans
Good luck!
James

J

Twin diesels would be to heavy for the stern of the Gemini, and there would be no benefit to maneuverability with twin outboards as you couldn’t separate them enough. The single outboard works very well and makes the Gemini very maneuverable.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:58   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Looks good! I'd talk them down a lot, assuming you have cash.
I would not try practicing on Okeechobee, it is shallow.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 21:22   #18

Hey Mike, how did the viewing go?
Fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
I would say a dual motor installation makes a cat more easy to manoevre. But I'm not a friend of Outboards. As I know some liveaboards starting with Outboards and after some years they remodeld the cat and changed to twin inboard Diesels.
I look from time to time to catamaran website of catamaransite.com where for some time a Catalac 10 m (34 ft) is offered. I have the same cat model, an earlier building# (built #5) since now 5 years and be happy with her. I use her as a river cruiser, at present on the Maine River near Frankfort am Main , Germany. With the two small Yanmars GM2-20 she is easy to manovre and the engines work very well.
To be clear my cat is not for sale, but as you look for something affordable in the same length range, I think it is worth to tell about the Catalaca 10m what is for sale at Affordable Cruising Catamarans
Good luck!
James

J
We lived aboard for over 10yrs on a Gemini 3400 and owned a Catalac 10m for 3yrs. I wouldn't rule out a Catalac for the right price but all else being equal, I would take the Gemini in a heartbeat over the Catalac. The link is to our comparison between the boats:

https://valhalla433.wordpress.com/20...s-catalac-10m/

The 3400 with outboard would be my preferred Gemini model. Keeps the engine easy to access (absolute worst case for about $5k, you get an entire brand new drivetrain...installed). Climbing down to service the Catalac engines was a hassle.

Surprisingly, twin engines offer very little advantage on a Gemini. Because the engine steers you can drag the stern one way or the other. That said, you do need to practice because it doesn't handle like a twin engine or a single engine monohull. The key issue is if you have speed thru the water, the rudders will overwhelm the motor but when slow enough the motor will overwhelm the rudders. Once you get the hang of it, it's not hard. (PS: put one of the boards down a foot or so...otherwise she will slide sideways and be a total pig to handle).

Overall the pictures look good. Do get a survey.
- Make sure the helm turns easily. You should be able to easily turn it with a single finger and almost no resistance.
- Make sure the bulkhead in front of the dinnet has no rot where the stays attach. This may require pulling the vinyl down in the main stateroom.
- Have the surveyor look under the sink (there is a panel that can be removed)
- Have the surveyor drop the boards and check for rot.

If you decide not to pursue her, drop a note back here. We have been casually looking again and other than being the small fridge version, looks like what we would be after.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:50   #20

One other thought:

If you are planning to cruise, don't expect double digit speeds. Assuming you don't go crazy loading, it will be safe and run with similar size monos but we assumed 6.5kts motoring and occasionally hit 8-9kts in short bursts under sail in stronger winds.

If you are weekending and can keep the weight out, it will be noticeably faster. Picking up an extra kt and occasional double digit speeds in the right conditions are possible.

She loves going downwind and it's a very comfortable ride even in pretty rough conditions.

Going into the wind, big waves aren't a problem but short steep waves she tends to slam the bridgedeck. She can take it but it gets on your nerves. Bear off 20 degrees and it usually settles down a lot.

Very rare to be in rough anchorages as you can sneak into shallow water where other boats can't go.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:16   #21

Thank you everyone for the info and thoughts!

Once down there looking at the boat size and condition I decided too small and too old along with barebones equipped.

I'm now planning to view the one below. Larger and recently updated with all a cruiser might need.

Fountain Pajot Antigua 37 Catamaran for sale by Owner
MikeHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:23   #22

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
A single outboard looks to be 2 cycle which is very reliable and lighter.
The outboard is a 4 stroke. you can see the sticker on the side of the cowling. 4 stroke will sip fuel compared to 2 stroke.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:44   #23

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

The Anigua 37 is also an old catamaran built in the time where Fountaine Pajot, as other shipyards, was on beginning the learning stage. The first catamaran they built was the Louisiane in plywood, followed by the relatively big Casamance by the end of 80ies. After that they built the lovely Maldives 32 at Catamaran who was a real pleasure to sail. A little dangerous as slightly over rigged. In the charter business some accidents, as loosing the mast, happened.

They learned about and the following types as the Antigua 37, Fijdi 39? followed slightly prereefed by the yard.

1st. the Antiguas displacement is more than advertised and this Antigua is possibly even heavier than the original (e.g. new pantry).

2nd. with the small sail area a lot of engine hours are the result, as she is with light winds very lazy. Look for the fuel containers on deck, a thing what is not usual on catamarans.
If you are looking for a newer boat with more space and comfortable lay out I would suggest so search for an Athena 38, a catamaran what has very good sailing abilities if not overloaded with cruising gear what some cruisers think they may be in necessity of.
Good luck and fair winds!
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, gemini