Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 11:35   #16

Re: Look at the coolness I came across.

Yer thats real cool.

No need to hoist a spinaker downwind, just open a couple of the hatches in the
top story roof for extra sail area.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 23:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
I dont want sail such a Cat on high seas... this is a boat for coastal cruising.

If a big wave hits these huge windows, one can start to pray to God and beg for mercy to survive. Too risky. And probably too hot inside... did the owner want a "winter garden" to plant his tomatoes ?

Why do boat designers not learn from "good seamanship" ?? And why they lack of respect for the power of mother nature ??

Keep away your fingers from such risky boats I would like to say. Coolness has nothing to do on high seas !! LIve in big cities to present yourself as "cool and hip".
Hi I am Kevin the Sales and Marketing Director of Scape Yachts , to answer some of your comments. This is a 2015 Simonis-Voogd designed catamaran , the windows of 12mm Acrylic and are designed to take big waves , they are also tinted with 70% UV resistance and have covers to provide even more shade. The catamarans have sailed all around the world and handle the seas very well , it light weight construction and high bridge deck clearance handles rough seas very well.
KKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 23:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Look VERY heavy in boatshow trim. Only floating just below WL. There is a new Maine cat 38 in the works. The 30 is an OK boat as a weekender day charter boat. Would rather have a decent cabin if buying a 40' boat.
The catamaran was loaded for a Indian Ocean crossing with six passengers extra fuel and water and all provisions and still they manged to get over 200 miles on many days.
Old 16-11-2015, 00:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I'm not sure what market they are after, and I am not sure if the front section window by the mast closes off or not. Strange, but interesting design. I like it, not that it would suit our needs, but interesting none the less.

I see that they have drains in the salon floor, so apparently it is designed to take water over the bow and into the salon. I can't tell if it's designed to let the water run straight off the back, but it doesn't look like it.
We are a high performance catamaran that that can do 25knots so the cabin space is a little limited , however it is an indoor/outdoor theme boat with the saloon and galley up, the catamaran is designed for adventure living and not for cruising for two years , more explore the islands , snorkeling , diving , fishing, kite-boarding.
There is access via the mast beam to the foredeck and the aft deck and saloon can either be open or closed. The hulls are sealed via hatches to ensure in heavy weather no water gets in the hulls.
Old 16-11-2015, 00:12   #20
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnight View Post
high bridge deck clearance
Hi, Kelvin,

May we ask for a numbers, please?
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 20:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
interesting, looks as if the P/S hulls have waterproof? splashproof doors.
so its a cross between the open deck cats and the more common bridge type. Protected access but not full bridge? Sure has the topside weight of a full bridge.

not sure about winch placement on either side of the wheel - how are the lines handled? Seems as if they would seriously impede movement.

It seems like an open deck with a sacrificial outdoor enclosed hardop
C-man77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 21:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-man77 View Post
It seems like an open deck with a sacrificial outdoor enclosed hardop
lots of cats now have have biminis
the hardtop carries the traveller so I assume that it is not flimsy
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 21:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnight View Post
We are a high performance catamaran that that can do 25knots so the cabin space is a little limited , however it is an indoor/outdoor theme boat with the saloon and galley up, the catamaran is designed for adventure living and not for cruising for two years , more explore the islands , snorkeling , diving , fishing, kite-boarding.
There is access via the mast beam to the foredeck and the aft deck and saloon can either be open or closed. The hulls are sealed via hatches to ensure in heavy weather no water gets in the hulls.
So if I understand it correctly in stormy high seas you seal off the entrance to the hulls via hatches leaving the everyone in the less than water tight saloon to deal with the water. Of course you plan on getting a lot of water into the salon otherwise you wouldn't have to seal off the entrances to the hulls. Sounds like a very wet ocean voyager if you don't mind me saying.

Also I would imagine very uncomfortable in high seas for any length of time. No going bellow out of the wet while ridding out a storm. Too bad if the rough seas last longer than a few hours. Have you given any thought to the problem of hypothermia of those stuck on the other side of the sealed hatches?

I hope I'm not being over critical. Perhaps I've miss understood the need for water tight hatches for access to the hulls.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 22:06   #24

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
So if I understand it correctly in stormy high seas you seal off the entrance to the hulls via hatches leaving the everyone in the less than water tight saloon to deal with the water. Of course you plan on getting a lot of water into the salon otherwise you wouldn't have to seal off the entrances to the hulls. Sounds like a very wet ocean voyager if you don't mind me saying.

Also I would imagine very uncomfortable in high seas for any length of time. No going bellow out of the wet while ridding out a storm. Too bad if the rough seas last longer than a few hours. Have you given any thought to the problem of hypothermia of those stuck on the other side of the sealed hatches?

I hope I'm not being over critical. Perhaps I've miss understood the need for water tight hatches for access to the hulls.

Because most monohull sailors die from sitting in the cockpit exposed to the outdoors I forgot real sailors isolate themselves indoors
Old 18-11-2015, 22:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Because most monohull sailors die from sitting in the cockpit exposed to the outdoors I forgot real sailors isolate themselves indoors
I have seen film footage of racers in very high seas in monohulls in fact inside a closed off salon with crash helmets on. Just as well because one particular mono did a complete role and the solo sailor lived to sail another day. If I remember correctly it was an Australian sailing in a race somewhere South of Argentina and a little North of a large ice land mass. I suppose he should have been outside at the wheel. How stupid of me.
Old 18-11-2015, 22:15   #26

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
I have seen film footage of racers in very high seas in monohulls in fact inside a closed off salon with crash helmets on. Just as well because one particular mono did a complete roll. I suppose he should have been outside at the wheel. How stupid of me.
Survival conditions vs stormy....

You take a big wave over the deck of a Lagoon, pop a portlight out and down flood the entire boat. This cat just drains the deck/saloon and keeps going with the hulls still dry.
Old 18-11-2015, 22:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Survival conditions vs stormy....

You take a big wave over the deck of a Lagoon, pop a portlight out and down flood the entire boat. This cat just drains the deck/saloon and keeps going with the hulls still dry.
Understood.

I should perhaps rethink now the doors on the Lagoon. Perhaps I could take some hints from the doors on the Intrepid I walked through a little while back. Those Navy guys sure do know how to make good hatch doors.
Old 18-11-2015, 23:06   #28

Quote:
Understood.

Those Navy guys sure do know how to make good hatch doors.
relax, given the commercial focus of this model its quite possible that the hatches are there to stop guests from falling into the hulls and calling for their lawyers.

same thing with the concealed lines. Can't trip and sue if its not there.
Old rule: if it floats, it leaks.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 23:12   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
relax, given the commercial focus of this model its quite possible that the hatches are there to stop guests from falling into the hulls and calling for their lawyers.

same thing with the concealed lines. Can't trip and sue if its not there.
Old rule: if it floats, it leaks.
Old 21-11-2015, 05:32   #30

Boat: Merfyn Owen/Bruno Fehrenbach Formula 40 Trimaran

Looks a bit boxy and is definitely not high performance. Is this really what people want??
trimaranspirit is offline   Reply With Quote