Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 14:36   #1

Boat: Catana 42
Lists For What's Need Inside Your Boat

Hi there,

I am trying to put a list together to organise boat gear we need to buy to deck out the inside of a new boat. I have started a list but you know when you know you don't know! As we are having organised from afar it would be awesome to work of a tick of list and I wondered if anyone had a helpful spreadsheet that they wouldn't mind sharing with me.

In fact any helpful lists are gratefully accepted!

Many thanks in advance - I do appreciate as this may appear a trivial request but from afar it will greatly assist.

Cheers
Reet / The Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 17:54   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Lists For What's Need Inside Your Boat

Wherever you go to meet your new boat, there will be household stuff available, and those would be instant souvenirs. Usually boat decoration is accomplished over a period of years of collecting precious memorabilia. You can, of course, plan a colour scheme and buy to support it, if that's what appeals to you.

Get some good quality weather gear">foul weather gear. Bring it.

Possibly if you tell us what 5 items matter most to you to make it feel like 'home' we can help more. Of course, then it's only a list of 5 and a spreadsheet isn't necessary.

Mostly, gettting ready for cruising is about getting all the "boat parts" you are likely to need, stuff like spare impellors and fan belts and fuel filters and oil filters, and all the tools you'll be needing to do as yet unthought of jobs. What you'll really need are bits that match your boat's systems.

Here's a hint, though: take a reasonably stout A-4 size notebook with you. You will want to record what you store in each area. And it's convenient to write the major stuff on a 3 x 5 card and tape it to the top of the drop locker.
These are easy to change as life evolves.

Some items you might consider bringing from home incude bed linen, pillows if you sleep with them, for 2 cabins (so you have spares if a hatch leaks). If you're buying in Europe, take a winter duvet and your favorite cover, too. No more than 4 favorite dish towels. Two light weight bath towels, or the fast drying ones for camping, for each person. Wash cloths if you use them. Small containers of shampoo, toothpaste, your toothbrushes, just as if you were going for a week's holiday. Just enough to live on the boat and start to get to know her and what you might want to put on her.

If you own high quality cooking gear, you must decide which few favorites to bring along, enough to cook normally for 6-8 people. Stowage room will be quite limited. Remember other places have different "stuff" compared to Tassie, and you may find that you like some of it. Sometimes different is fun!

Mark Twain wrote with reference to travel, "Bring less clothes. Bring more money." IMO, it's excellent advice.

I guess I'm the wrong woman to try and answer this for you. If you are well heeled, go to Sheridan and buy what you want, but the boat will look best if you stick to a simple, cheerful colour scheme, in colours that make you look your best.

Ann

There is a typo in the 2nd paragraph: I'll try correcting it here, it reads, "Bring good quality wet weather gear."
Old 18-11-2013, 20:29   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
SNIP

this may appear a trivial request but from afar it will greatly assist.

Cheers
Reet / The Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
When you said afar I noticed you are from afar. My boat is in the Florida Keys and I out fit it differently for the summer than for the winter. I keep a good quality sleeping bag for chilly nights as well as a little different cooking gear. I also use silver mylar bubble wrap over the windows to keep the sun/heat out in the summer but take it off in the winter. Same goes for fishing gear and to some extent the way I cook it. Some folks like to grill on a charcoal grill off the stern if the weather is nice but remove it at other times. Things like knives and silverware are mostly personal choice. Depending on how you cook you may need lots of lighters.

I wound up doubling the number of clothes pins and frequently use my life lines as a clothes line. I use lots of solar powered lights all over the boat. Also have a good supply of batteries for hand held devices. You may want a portable inverter and/or a DC to DC converter.

But living on the boat for a couple of weeks will result in you taking lots of stuff you thought you needed off the boat and getting a better idea of what you really need.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 21:27   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We take the book thing a little bit further! We number all the lockers and drawers inside with an A and a number and deck lockers and such as B and a number and list all contents in them that way ! of course things get shuffled around LOL but we have come to worry more about things being right on deck, then the things below decks!! Nice to be able to find the things ya only use once a year or so!! My memory is still fair, but our boats have gotten larger LOL and we seem to have a large bunch of stuff we just can't live with out !! But I can find the last of my spam by looking in the book !!
Old 18-11-2013, 23:11   #5

Booze ..
end of list.

I have no idea what to take. Im in the process of thinking about gearing up myself I like the take what you think you need for 2 weeks then go away for 2 weeks. now reethink what you think you need.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 06:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Hi there,

I am trying to put a list together to organise boat gear we need to buy to deck out the inside of a new boat. I have started a list but you know when you know you don't know! As we are having organised from afar it would be awesome to work of a tick of list and I wondered if anyone had a helpful spreadsheet that they wouldn't mind sharing with me.

In fact any helpful lists are gratefully accepted!

Many thanks in advance - I do appreciate as this may appear a trivial request but from afar it will greatly assist.

Cheers
Reet / The Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
europe has some of the best hyper-markets in the world!
so kitting out a boat for domestic stuff with the aid of a car is realitively easy and quick.

stuff like fitted,elasticated under- sheets for the bunks might be worth getting pre made if you can get the diamentions.

covers for saloon furniture are also a good idea,and saves a lot of wear and tare when at sea.

air tight storage tupperware type boxes for the galley that fit in the lockers save a lot of mess and will prolong the life of dried foods.

also larger airtight boxes for under bunks/seats make life easier , prevent mold and make stuff easier to find.

melamine crockery and plastic crystalware are the way to go on a boat,but buy the best quality you can afford,and you will get many years use.
good quality stainless cutlery is also a must as inferiour stuff rusts or pitts.

medium sized canvas type tool bags are great for lugging round the deck when doing repairs,and store well.
used seperatly for things like,
sail repair kit.
engine tool repair kit(spanners and sockets etc)
daily tool repair kit (pliers,screwdrivers,multimeter,wire cutters,vicegrips ,adjustables etc)
electrical kit (bulbs,connectors,plugs etc)
first aid kit(bandages,plasters,creams anti septics,sunscreen etc)
(more specific medicines are best stored in a tupperware to keep damp proof and cool)

another thing worth thinking about are chargers for laptops,sat phone,cameras,battery drill,vhf,iphones,ipads,ipods internet etc
we seem to have a permernet mess of cables!

havent worked that one out yet,but a USB splitter is they way to go instead of bulky 220vplug in chargers if possible
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 06:56   #7

spend some time here
The Boat Galley
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:32   #8

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Hello Reet.
In 2007 and 08 I was seriously considering a boat located in England. The logistics of getting my stuff from here to there was a big consideration. One thing I did discover was that cruise ships have no weight nor baggage limit (at that time -- things may have changed) ...

Being able to bring "everything" at one time did have it's appeal.

As Ann said, her thoughts are spot on. I'm a reader so books were important. And my crafting goodies (silk threads, plus paints, brushes, etc.)

Plus my galley gear. I'm not certain how you are Reet, but I know and understand my pans and prefer them. Ditto with utensils and such -- I've used them for many decades and would not want to be without.

I'd bring a spare hard-drive for your computer, and a second hard drive with all the current charts. And DVDs -- for those that have gone digital with their movies, a spare hard-drive with a back-up copy of the movies would be on my list along with a DVD player (opened? -- someone else would have to tell you if there are differences between the US and European players)

AND a couple of spare wireless mouse (mice?) for the computer. Plus a two 12-volt adapters so the computer will work straight from your batteries without using the inverter.

And, decent quality clothespins. I use them not just for drying clothes but for pinning shades over the windows. At anchor the boat moves a lot so often I'm changing the position. I like things bright so this is more a comfort level item for me than you perhaps.

You're going to want your tools (hand at least) such as screwdrivers, ratchets and universal sockets too, plus pliers, wire crimpers, wire strippers, various electrical components, switches (on and off along with on-off-on) and sanding blocks, paper, dremel (with assorted extras)

Ann's correct on bedding -- especially the pillows. Finding a decent pillow isn't easy and if you've got one, keep it. Buy a spare.

I'd bring at least three or four 12-volt lights. You're going to need/want them in places where they are not installed. Ditto fans.
And binoculars -- the best you can afford (at least two pairs and having an extra third pair on board is not a bad idea)

Sunglasses (polarized, prescription if you have it)
Ditto swim masks (they can be made with your prescription lens so if you're diving)
Good swim fins (if you have them -- long fin part makes swimming/diving so much easier)

Hats -- big ones that fully shade your head, face and neck. BIG HATS. With a string and clip that attaches to your clothing. I generally sew a piece of string and tie a little loop at the end, attaching it to me by a button on my blouse.

Gloves -- for working on deck, and for diving.
Bags -- for dirty clothes and for when skin diving to bring up your goodies for closer inspection

Well, that ought to keep you busy for a while. Good luck and congratulations on your new boat. Enjoy!
Old 19-11-2013, 08:06   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good one, Janice,

about the hats. I usually sew the string on the centerline of the back of the hat, and safety pin it to the back of my collar , but absolutely right. And might as well take her favorite sunscreen, too.

...a binnacle knife. Long, high quality hose clamps (to clamp the knife and sheath to the binnacle....) actually a selection of good quality hose clamps is something we've always carried...

one very light weight long sleeved, long legged trouser outfit that will keep the sun off without hurting sunburnt skin, if you accidentally get burnt--has the other purpose of being impermeable to no-see-ums. "broomstick gauze" would be something to make it out of, a simple tunic and pull up pants. ...Aloe vera gel, to treat accidental sunburn.

All personal medications, and something you know works for seasickness (Stugeron is available over the counter in England and Belgium); include suppositories for medicine kit under this heading of anti-emetic, because people get dehydrated if they keep on throwing up [not everybody's body likes catamaran motion]. Work with a doctor who sails to put together a reasonable first aid kit to take, as well as ship's medicine kit (preferably lockable).

Back to the galley: your favorite bread knife; the 3 or 4 other knives you use most.

I do not like eating off or drinking out of plastic--this is one of those personal preference deals, and if you like it, it's fine. However, it is a matter of personal taste, and I think real dishes is the way to go, stoneware grade or above, or Corelle, and most of our glasses are glass, as well. You may also want some plastic, for really rough weather, but for everyday life, you should be able to pamper yourself in small ways that matter to you. I use glass stemware, the cheapest I can buy, and stow it in clean old socks, protected under way.

Ann
Old 20-11-2013, 16:30   #10
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
I am trying to put a list together to organise boat gear we need to buy to deck out the inside of a new boat.
Hi there Reet

Your adventure, plans and your boat all sound terrific...and well done on your fun website!

We too really, really enjoy our time on the water. A couple years ago we delivered our beautiful CatNirvana from Sardinia to Sydney, via the Panama Canal, and that was a superb voyage for both the many experiences at sea as well as the extended opportunity to learn a lot (!) about our vessel. Now we spend about half of each year cruising the OZ coast. We thoroughly enjoyed cruising Tasmania early in 2012...and we will return! Our next longer voyage will very likely be to circumnavigate the Coral Sea. Anyway, the point of all this on this thread is...

Arising directly out of our own time spent and love of cruising, we built a modest business putting together a wide range of products and ideas that suit the cruising lifestyle. Hats are a good example as they are mentioned a couple times here already and we believe we have one of the best cruising hats there is, certainly fulfilling all the 'specs' mentioned here, and more! We spotted our hats -- Well, one of them anyway -- being worn by one of our 'advisors' (like a pilot) going through the Panama Canal. We were so impressed with the hat's design that we then hunted extensively until we found the makers so that we could offer the hats to our crew...and of course we wear our own constantly!

So as you're going through the (never-ending!) process of fitting out your new boat, have a look at our website -- The hats are at Nauti-Hats, Floating Impressions -- and we hope you'll find some ideas there that are both practical and fun.

Perhaps we'll one day share some beautiful anchorage...and in any event we wish you fair winds and following seas always.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 16:51   #11

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Take your time get some catalogs and anchor out several times. When you think you need something look in the catalogs to see what is available. Some things that are important to one person may not be to someone else. One person might need a cork screw for their wine bottles another doesn't need one to open their box of wine.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 17:43   #12

K.I.S.S. and add lightness.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 17:24   #13

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
One person might need a cork screw for their wine bottles another doesn't need one to open their box of wine.
Well, I think you need a corkscrew to break up ice cubes! I buy ice and use my corkscrew to loosen them as they melt/stick in big clumps.

P.S. - Would work well for wine bottles also.
Old 30-11-2013, 05:58   #14

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Don't forget paper clips all sizes............amazing how much they help.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 07:46   #15

Boat: Catana 42

Hi there

So much good advice and practical ideas, thanks to all.

Starting so far from home we have a few ideas of some things that must come with us, but the list will have to grow a little from what I have read. Top of the list is my husbands cooking knives, but that's about it from our kitchen. Even though we have really good kitchen quality stuff nothing else seems practical to take with us on a plane to start.

For those or you who have visited my site misscatana you will realise that this has an important place for me - much of the plane weight allowance will have to be for my computer and photo / video gear. This week I have just got a Go Pro Hero so will need to work out how this works, but a definite for coming with us. Books will be kept to a minimum but a
Back up mice / mouses is a top idea. Hard drives continuing to be filled as we get ready to go!

As our boat will be in European configuration for electrics we need to sort out a few work arounds this one as well....

Paper clips have gone onto my list

Re wet weather gear we thought we would purchase Henri Lloyd gear from England and have shipped to France with other gear we are currently organising to have put on the boat.

Pillows wasn't something I intended to take, maybe I should reconsider. I presumed good pillows are available. Plus being a fan of a good feather pillow I wonder how you get these from one country to another? To be researched further....

Re tools we are trying to put a list together at moment so once we arrive we can organise. As heavy yet important we know we need to do this area well.

As a red wine drinker a cork screw will be on the list. We Aussies have embraced the twist top for our wine but I doubt this is every where so I shall not risk no wine in my glass!

The boat gallery - wow a great resource that I hadn't seen before many thanks- a little like Alice's rabbit hole once on the site I got very lost for some time and now in my favourites.

D&D I looked at your hats on your site. May need to venture here to look at purchasing one, I just purchased two new hats about a month ago so will test these ones out first though. Hope you site is going well I will add a link to the misscatana.com once I get a list going.

My beautiful husband reminds me often, that a good cat is a light one so my books are moving swiftly on to my IPad and kindle and hopefully we can keep to the principle less is more and K I S S

Thanks to all for the advice -

Cheers the Miss
Homepage | Miss Catana
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote

« Rummy cat | Antigua »