Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 12:04   #1

Listed at vs Sold at price?

Anyone who's recently purchased (or sold), want to share what the catamaran was listed at and what it actually sold for?
HSV Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 12:21   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Listed at vs Sold at price?

Recently purchased a yacht, paid very close to asking price. The boat was priced at a fair market price; this based on a spreadsheet I'd been maintaining of similar yachts for the previous 12 months.

Given the complexity and technicality of the boat I was also cognizant of achieving a good relationship following purchase. It's been fantastic to reach out on occasion and receive answers to questions. We have, I feel, become friends.
Old 19-10-2020, 16:04   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

Denison Yachting published some sales figures for 2019 that showed asking and selling price. As I recall very few boats sold for asking price. In todays market I think you will have to pay much closer to asking. We are currently under contract at asking price and I think that's why we had an accepted offer.
Clayfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 16:09   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

see link for last years sales, post #3

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ta-229784.html
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 01:42   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfree View Post
...In todays market I think you will have to pay much closer to asking.
I think that depends very much on what boat you are looking for. As far as the boats i am interested in, prices on YW drop significantly. Talking about 40 +/- Cats out of Charter, 8-4 years old.

John
Old 20-10-2020, 08:37   #6

Are you saying charter cats have fallen by 40% this year.
Roshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 08:40   #7

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Sailing View Post
Anyone who's recently purchased (or sold), want to share what the catamaran was listed at and what it actually sold for?
Broikers have access to a database of recent sales prices for different boats. I think this is the most compelling reason for working with a buyer's broker.

Dreamin'
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 08:43   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
see link for last years sales, post #3

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ta-229784.html
Thanks! Anything like this for monohulls?
aisleorwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 09:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

You can look at some generalities but in the real world every deal will be different. One seller might over price the boat hoping someone will pay too much but are willing to negotiate a lot on the ask. Also I have seen owners that didn't really want to sell but listed their boat for an outrageous price just in case someone would pay that much.

Then other sellers are motivated and list the boat for a very good price and will hold firm.

Best thing to do is educate yourself on the boat you're interested in, look at what they really sell for and make a decision based on that information. You can always make a low ball offer on any boat but be aware that you do run the risk of making the seller mad and losing the deal altogether. Saw it more than once when I was a yacht broker. Buyer really wanted the boat but tried a stupid low price offer as a negotiating tactic. Seller felt insulted and refused any further dealings with that buyer even though he would have met the seller's ask.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 10:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
I think that depends very much on what boat you are looking for. As far as the boats i am interested in, prices on YW drop significantly. Talking about 40 +/- Cats out of Charter, 8-4 years old.

John
The OP asked about listing price vs selling price. The boat I have under contract is exactly what you mentioned, a 4 year old charter cat.

Do you have a listing links that show these boats have dropped signifigantly in recent times?

Thanks.
Old 20-10-2020, 11:36   #11

Greetings All
First post and looking forward to joining the sailing cruising family. On the back of last years prices has anyone got any update on the effect of this Damn Covid situation on the current pricing.
Many thanks.
Bristell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 12:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristell View Post
Greetings All
First post and looking forward to joining the sailing cruising family. On the back of last years prices has anyone got any update on the effect of this Damn Covid situation on the current pricing.
Many thanks.
Yes. Everyone is buying boats and the market seems to be very tight right now. There is a longer thread about the effect on Covid on boat prices.

I just wish everyonne would stay home and be safe ... and stop driving up the price of boats thhat I want to buy
Old 20-10-2020, 14:35   #13

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshni View Post
Are you saying charter cats have fallen by 40% this year.
Roshni, no. I was refering to cats in the 40+/- feet range. Those are the boats i am preferably looking for. You may have a look at the link below to see what price reductions i am refering to.

Quote:
The OP asked about listing price vs selling price. The boat I have under contract is exactly what you mentioned, a 4 year old charter cat.

Do you have a listing links that show these boats have dropped signifigantly in recent times?

Thanks.
Hi Clayfree. Not easy to say what type of boats you have been looking for. As far as my search runs: Please have a look at my post no. 293 on this discussion:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...215317-20.html

I listed a couple of boats i was following for a while and were prices dropped significantly. There are more boats like this on YW were prices have been reduced in the past months. Some cats from DYC, but other sellers too...

As far as i know, YW is showing you now when a price has been reduced from the seller. However, i do not trust those information too much, as it could be used to make people think there was a recent asking price reduction. For my records, i am using my own xls sheet to document prices of boats i am interested in and when they have been listed.

In SE Asia, my prefered buying location, lots of boats cannot be chartered or are very hard to sell. Thailand, Malaysia, Phillipines and Indonesia are closed for potential buyers. In my opinion there are some great deals there now - but not easy to get there...

John
Old 20-10-2020, 15:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Roshni, no. I was refering to cats in the 40+/- feet range. Those are the boats i am preferably looking for. You may have a look at the link below to see what price reductions i am refering to.

Hi Clayfree. Not easy to say what type of boats you have been looking for. As far as my search runs: Please have a look at my post no. 293 on this discussion:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...215317-20.html

I listed a couple of boats i was following for a while and were prices dropped significantly. There are more boats like this on YW were prices have been reduced in the past months. Some cats from DYC, but other sellers too...

As far as i know, YW is showing you now when a price has been reduced from the seller. However, i do not trust those information too much, as it could be used to make people think there was a recent asking price reduction. For my records, i am using my own xls sheet to document prices of boats i am interested in and when they have been listed.

In SE Asia, my prefered buying location, lots of boats cannot be chartered or are very hard to sell. Thailand, Malaysia, Phillipines and Indonesia are closed for potential buyers. In my opinion there are some great deals there now - but not easy to get there...

John
Hi Piscis,

I rember seeing your earlier post and I think that brings up a good point for clarification. All or most of those boats seem to be in harder to reach places. I can see how they would be discounted as currently its very difficult to travel there for charter or to buy a boat. Some of the boats are smaller brands and they will always have a little better price.

I have been looking at top 3 production brand boats on norh america & carribean. There seems to be a lot of competition for boats that are in or close to the US.

I look at those distant boat prices with envy but don't know when I would be able to get it back here. I worry about buying one and not having access to it for a year or more.

The Bali 4.0 seems like a good deal.

Would love to see all prices come down
Old 20-10-2020, 16:20   #15
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Brokers have access to a database of recent sales prices for different boats. I think this is the most compelling reason for working with a buyer's broker.

exactly what I was going to say

Tags
price, SOLD