Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2020, 17:09   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Listed at vs Sold at price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Broikers have access to a database of recent sales prices for different boats. I think this is the most compelling reason for working with a buyer's broker.

Dreamin'
As will any decent surveyor as they use the same database to arrive at a valuation.
Old 20-10-2020, 17:47   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Just sold my late model cat for 98% of asking price within a week. Never got listed. My broker sent an email to close associates giving them a week. Of course, asking versus sailing prices vary greatly. Agree with DreaminFred for the reason to use a broker. If the boat you're interested in is overpriced, hopefully you will get a big discount to brag about.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 17:53   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
As far as i know, YW is showing you now when a price has been reduced from the seller. However, i do not trust those information too much, as it could be used to make people think there was a recent asking price reduction. For my records, i am using my own xls sheet to document prices of boats i am interested in and when they have been listed.

John
YW does have a recent price drop in the filter now which shows all the boats with a lowered asking price in the last 30 days. This would be a recent asking price reduction or are you talking about something else?
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 03:43   #19

Yep, thats what i mean.

However, price increase is not filtered. If you want to catch a buyer who is looking only for reduced asking prices and you have a boat listed since 6 month... just increase asking price by 15% and a week later reduce by 10%....
Old 21-10-2020, 11:45   #20

Boat: CHB, 1981 Trawler, 41'

You either take the offer negotiate or forget it.
Santana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 12:39   #21

Anyone bought a used cat from Dream Yacht Charter. Did they negotiate price? How was the process and handover. Many thanks.
Roshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 13:39   #22

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I recently, as in a few weeks ago, sold a 24' fishing boat. It was sold 12 hours after it came on the market, and I got $7K more for it than what I paid for it. At the brokers recommendation, we jacked the price up, due to the powerboat market being so hot. In essence we got full asking price. Never had that happen before. There was no negotiation.
Never seen the powerboat market so hot.

The sailboat market, in my opinion, is in a bit of a slump, due to the C-19 thing. Folks aren't buying sailboats as there is limited places to go. YW is packed to the brim with sailboats that aren't going anywhere. If you are a seller, and you want to move the boat, you will likely have to consider lowering your ask. Just my opinion, otherwise, you'll be in for a long wait, and don't forget, sailboats in a marina continue to require monthly dockage fees, maintenance, etc, that quickly eat into a seller's expected value of his boat.

Power boats and fishing boats are taken out for the day and then returned to home base, be it a driveway or marina. Sailboats typically travel from area to area. It's a different market.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 19:56   #23

Boat: lagoon 380 s2

Bought lagoon 380 fall 15. Sold July 20 at 97% of purchase price.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:18   #24

Boat: Atlantic 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshni View Post
Anyone bought a used cat from Dream Yacht Charter. Did they negotiate price? How was the process and handover. Many thanks.
They ride their boats hard and put them away wet, and then sell them when they're all used up. Don't do it, you deserve better!
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:19   #25

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

Listed 475K
Purchased 473.5K

2017 Lagoon
Old 26-10-2020, 09:50   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Coronado 23 MkII

Generally speaking, from what I've read and seen, it's a sellers market right now. Lot's of people getting into alternate activities such as boating because of Covid. To answer the OP's original question, I suggest getting with a broker. I have one in particular that I stay in touch with, Gary Fretz. Look on youtube for videos of him talking about selling/buying. He gives some good advice. Also, you can get on his email list and he'll send a list monthly of boats that have sold over the last month and what they were listed for and actually sold for. For example, he sends me a list of 37'+ catamarans with both prices listed, brand and length of boat, date of sale, and location. By the way, doesn't cost anything to get this info from Gary.
Old 27-10-2020, 00:35   #27

Generally speaking I always pay the asking price- my theory is that the seller will always give you support and backup if you honour their sales price. They are also the people that know the history and just their assistance can be worth a fortune.... I also have great relationships with all past owners and some are now great friends... you would never try haggle in your local food shop so why haggle when you buy a boat? At least twice before I have actually increased the sales price when selling a boat when the buyer tried to haggle and on each occasion they still bought it...
Sea Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 18:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfree View Post
Yes. Everyone is buying boats and the market seems to be very tight right now. There is a longer thread about the effect on Covid on boat prices.

I just wish everyonne would stay home and be safe ... and stop driving up the price of boats thhat I want to buy
Yep, gotta agree. 😒
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, SOLD