Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2018, 12:14   #31

Re: List down to 3 boats

Id look at the 620, the price is about the same as the others and size isn't that much of difference, but the layout seems substantially better than the others and sails well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
All good choices. Also at that size range 62 no big diff. Just as easy to handle if not easier.

Having crew from time to time privacy an asset.

Look forward to seeing what you decide!
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 15:13   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
My wife and I helped a friend in Tortola deliver a Leopard 58 from Roadtown to St. Thomas. It is definitely a House. On the water. With sails. We didn't like it. You had to go through someone's cabin to get from the salon to the forward deck. (No easy peasy pass through like on the L44, 45 and 48's). The main salon felt closed in and cramped like my first apartment. Nice big screen TV but where's the ocean. As I recall you can't really see forward to the bow from inside the salon. Very much isolated from the sea.

Also the fancy dinghy platform at the stern was not working and the boat was almost brand new. The captain and I tried to get it to work but no go. It appeared very light weight, flimsy and poorly built.

And that fancy teak wood table with wooden chairs for the aft deck? It might be great after a calm Caribbean coastal day cruise but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that jetsam in anything resembling heavy weather. The up side is it will be a self correcting problem once you encounter blue water. "Did the primary buffer panel just fly off my ship?"

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big Leopard fan. In fact the admiral and I are trying hard to purchase a Leopard 44. I just think the designers went off the rails on the 58 trying to make a floating motel.

My concern is that you might spend a lot of money and later on feel like you would rather have more of a sailboat and less of a houseboat.

Happy boat hunting and have a wonderful adventure.
Good persepective. We are interested in the 4 cabin which opens up the salon. Would that fix the issue with visability and views?
TXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 17:27   #33

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Txnewbie what is your sailing and cruising experience?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 17:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Txnewbie what is your sailing and cruising experience?
Not a lot. Will have a live aboard captain for a period of time
TXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 11:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnewbie View Post
Not a lot. Will have a live aboard captain for a period of time
I know you have not asked about this type but if a new boat is not able to be procured in a short time frame I would look at a used Sunreef, they seem pretty well set up to be Captained and crew.

2011 Sunreef 60 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 17:33   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
TXnewbie,
3. The saloon headliner on the Leopard is vinyl covered, untreated plywood which will eventually sag. Especially if, as i was told by a professional captain who maintains a 58, a water tank vent is located under the headliner! I would also seek to confirm that, but if so, a crazy arrangement!

Brad
I am no great fan of the new L45, but I have an L45 that is 19 years old. Have had it for 14 years, and there is nary a creak or squeak. Over the long term, it has been a solid as a rock.....and the headliner, untreated plywood and vinyl, has never sagged, or gotten mildew, and is very easy to clean. Actually it is one of the positives, and that's a fact, not a supposition.

The problem with critiques on new boats, whether from users, internet gossip, or professionals, is that there has not been time to really see what works and what holds up. You might be surprised to see how many "boats of the year" turn out to be nightmares! You do get more informed comment when considering an older vessel.

Best of luck.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 17:52   #37

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
Sounds like this would be the right boat for you. Maybe a little small at 145 feet but hey... "rooms are rooms" as you said...

And it comes with a lifetime supply of Grey Poupon. How can you beat that?

Cheers and good luck!
I hope that boat has an extension kit for the hulls. They need to be longer.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat