Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2009, 21:55   #1

Boat: Gravy
Lightwave 45

There is lots of great discussion here that gives me hours of entertainment and at times is extremely informative. Many boats have been the subject of close scrutiny by very experienced sailors, and I am very grateful for there effort. But there is one boat that I am interested in that I find very little about and that is the Lightwave 45.

Has anyone sailed one of these or even seen one at a boat show. I’d love to read a review or two from this sailing community.
lancelots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 03:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Sailed one from Southport to Sydney. (with a side trip into Pittwater - thats east coat Australia). Great boat - we had a range of conditions and it handled them all. Really nice boat and its built by some really nice people. So strong and sails very well. I really love the engine rooms, they are outside the living area and you can stand beside the engines and service them. Buy one and I would be envious of you
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 04:05   #3

Factor, thanks for the reply

From all the online browsing they seem to be a good vessel the bridgedeck clearance at 950 mm sounds great. Any more details that you can remember would be greatly appreciated.

They are certainly on the short list. Fortunately other contenders were knocked out earlier due to the great analysis of quality by others here.
Old 17-10-2009, 05:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Ask away on specifics - but have a look at their website first. The bridgedeck clearance is very good. Its one of the things that australian cats do better than most. Being Tony Grainger design it was always going to perform well. I also know that one of their 45s is almost through a circumnavigation.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 05:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I just went to their website. It does indeed look like a nice boat. When clicking on the pictures though, they do not get larger. Did you have that problem?

Lightwave Yachts

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 07:18   #6

Boat: Still planning
David,

The pictures open in a seperate window for me. Actually, very impressive webpage.

There is even an optional fore deck spa. Not sure if I would be interested in one, but an interesting option.
Old 17-10-2009, 16:56   #7

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Hi David,

the Lightwave 45 is currently out boat of choice. My wife and I visited their factory May this year during the Sanctuary Cove boat show. There was a 38 in progress and the almost completed 47' Grande motor sailor version. There is an extensive review of this boat in the Sept-Oct edition of Multihull World magazine. Andrew has also written an excellent review of the 45 sports in an earlier edition of Multihull World

At the show we viewed the 45 Grande charter version. Certainly lots of space, but typical of the charter layout 4 double cabins kind of cramps things up. In my opinion the owner versions are far superior. It seems that Roger and the Lightwave team are more of a semi custom builder than a one size fits all production builder. In our early discussions, there is no problem for them to incorporte design features and layout options from any of their models into what the prospective owner would like. In our case we are keen on galley down, with an aft office. This combination is not shown on the web site, but the Lightwave team are happy enough to do it.

My wife in particular likes the 45 design, and preferable the Grande, as the rear deck is extended about another meter or so I guess from the sports 45 making much better use of the available living space. I understand many of the 45's have gone to previous 35 and 38 owners, so I guess that says a lot about the quality and the Lightwave team.

During the show we looked at several other boats, and clearly the Lightwaves held their own in terms of practicaility and ergonomics, and clearly built for the rigors of cruising. I sound like an agent!! I am most surely not. I just suspect these and other Australian manufacyures like Seawind probably don't get the exposure they should for such excellent products. Speaking of Seawind they have just released a new 41ft design. I do want to check that out as well, because their 1160 and 1000XL's are very well done as well.

For us we probably have another 2 years in Canada before the begins to get realised. Best of luck woth your endeavours

glenn
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 06:17   #8

Hi Glenn C.

Thanks for pointing that one out, I missed the grande version when I looked at the site, but that is an impressive boat and would certainly make for cruising in style and comfort. For some reason this is what I expect from a 40 odd footer.

Of course I could always look to Europe or the USA with the strength of the dollar but what is in competition with the Lightwave 45 Grande?
Old 18-10-2009, 09:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelots View Post
Hi Glenn C.

Thanks for pointing that one out, I missed the grande version when I looked at the site, but that is an impressive boat and would certainly make for cruising in style and comfort. For some reason this is what I expect from a 40 odd footer.

Of course I could always look to Europe or the USA with the strength of the dollar but what is in competition with the Lightwave 45 Grande?

i guess there are anumber of boats in that range. We admit to being more biased towrds the Austrlain built boats. I do like the Perry, as well, although the disign is alittle dated now, but enjoyed our charter on aPerry 43. I was impressed with the Priveledge range at Sanctury cove, again another boat built for real world cruising, but my wife was less impressed with the internal ergonomics, but tey are a quality machine. Didny like the Leopold due to the completly open cockpit.

Unfortunately we didnt get a test sail on the 45 whilst back in Brisbae. was all organised, but shocking weather postponed the evnt until after we had left. Anyway, guys like Andrew have way more experience than me with many cats, so I value his advice...Me, nearly all my experince has been in monos 3-45ft racing & cruisiing. Good luck wth your search. Glenn
Old 18-10-2009, 18:17   #10

Boat: Still deciding on a 44'-48' Catamaran
I'm looking at the Lightwave 45 as well, but it's hard to find any data on the boat. I have the Sep/Oct 2009 version of Multihulls World magazine, but there is no review of the Lightwave, although they do have a review of the Lightwave 38 in their archives on the website which I read. As much as I like Multihulls World, I find their reviews to be of limited value. They are too careful not to say anything negative about the boats they review, so it's not much help. Forums like this are a much better resource. I'll be at the boat shows in Paris in December and Miami in February and am hoping to see the new Lightwave then. Will post any info that I can find.
Gavdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 18:30   #11

I’m looking forward to your review in December Gavdoo (that’s if they have one there) and I’m hoping that you take plenty of photos

My eyesight is a little blurry at the moment so I may have missed a few things does anyone know what material she is built from, foam core, epoxy?
Old 18-10-2009, 19:38   #12

Boat: Still deciding on a 44'-48' Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelots View Post
I’m looking forward to your review in December Gavdoo (that’s if they have one there) and I’m hoping that you take plenty of photos
Yes, absolutely! Lightwave isn't listed as an exhibitor at either the Paris or Miami shows, so I may have to go an Aussie show to see the LW 45.

LW has a good website, but it's hard to get a sense for the cockpit & saloon areas and how they flow without seeing the boat. Two other concerns that I have, one big, one minor: It doesn't look like there is much space to go forward on the deck - could be a big issue in heavy seas and weather. And the trampolines look really small.

Not sure how the Lightwave folks have handled the recession. There's no updated news on their website since january 2009, which is a bit troubling. Would love to hear from anyone who has info.
Gavdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 20:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavdoo View Post
I'm looking at the Lightwave 45 as well, but it's hard to find any data on the boat. I have the Sep/Oct 2009 version of Multihulls World magazine, but there is no review of the Lightwave, although they do have a review of the Lightwave 38 in their archives on the website which I read. As much as I like Multihulls World, I find their reviews to be of limited value. They are too careful not to say anything negative about the boats they review, so it's not much help. Forums like this are a much better resource. I'll be at the boat shows in Paris in December and Miami in February and am hoping to see the new Lightwave then. Will post any info that I can find.

Its the Australian magazine Multihulll World you need to look at. I have just received a newsletter from Lightwave. I believe they have done ok during the recession. Best way for info is to contact them via the web site and ask to get on their distribution list. They are basically a make to order shop, so I think this is why they have done ok during the recession, but may alos account for why they havent expanded marketing beyond Australia
Old 18-10-2009, 20:08   #14

ps, Multihull dynamics have the Lightwave 45 in their database, which can give you some comparative info.
Old 18-10-2009, 20:48   #15

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Of the current production Australian Multihulls and in comparison with all the overseas hulls the Lightwave 45 stands out as a fast, safe and quality cruiser. Foam samwhich construction.

The new Seawind 41 should also be a good vessel although the extra length of the Lightwave gives greater load carrying for crusing.

Also check out the new Freeflow 44/46 which is being built by one of the original founders of lightwave now on his own. 1st vessel is underway and will be able to be inspected if not finished nearby to the Santuary Cove boat show time.
Freeflow Catamarans

Also checkout Tony Graingers Barefoot 45's which are using similar flat panel foam samwhih construction techniques. Grainger Designs For Custom Catamaran Design and Trimaran Design For Cruising or Racing
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote