Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 06:14   #1

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking
Lepoard 45 engine acess

My wife and I have finally sold our house, the kids are gone, and the dog is howling at God instead of me so now it's time to boat shop. Recently we looked at a Leopard 45 and were impressed with the space inside especially for me at 6'6", however my greatest concern is engine access. While I am not a huge fan of the aux engines being under the aft berths it's not a deal breaker for he right boat; it's all a compromise right, however there did not seem to be an easy way, especially for someone my height, to get to the engine and engine room. Yes there is an inspection hatch under the berths and that is fine for checking fluids daily but full access seems to be limited to a bulkhead door of sorts, accessible through the hatches on the sugar scoops. Am I correct in that? Furthermore, the 45 we looked at had a generator located in the starboard hull and it blocked access any further. When I held my camera down and snapped pictures of the engine rooms through the scoops he starboard engine room was exceptionally dirty with what looked like rust and oil all over the floor indicating that no one had done a serious job of maintaining the space; no doubt since access was so limited by the generator. The port engine room was in much better shape of course with better access. Am I missing something? Is there another way to gain full access to the engine room? If not, does anyone out there know if you can cut away the area under the berths and create a full access panel? Thanks in advance, and I look forward to getting on the water just in time for storm season! Well timing was never my strong suite-

Fred
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 06:30   #2

Boat: 40' Leopard
Re: Lepoard 45 engine acess

41 Get a good broker that is knows Leopards
2 Get a good survey--someone that does cats
3 When you see that much crud in boat the RUN!!!!!
They did not do maint !!
4 Look around the newer boats have great access to engines.
5 sometimes a great deal is really not that Great!!
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 18:51   #3

Fred,

Access is from the rear hatches, it's not that bad. Join the Yahoo Leopard cat group at:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LeopardCat/

They are a friendly group and happy to answer questions.

Eric
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 03:19   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
Lepoard 45 engine acess

Eric, the engine access on a Leopard 45 & 47 is by removing the mattress and boards in the aft cabins. The L43, 45 & 47 are shaft driven boat, not a SD. It is easy to remove the mattress and boards and then stand in the engine bay and work on the engine. I quite agree on the OP joining the Leopard Cat forum on Yahoo. John.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 05:13   #5

Hi John,

I don't think I was clear on my terminology, sorry for the confusion. By aft hatches I was referring to the hatches on the sugar scoops. I only use the hatch under the bed to check the engines when under way. I'm only 5'7 but it's pretty easy to access the engines from the rear sugar scoop. The only hassle is the starboard engine access is slightly smaller because of the generator. That and we store all our dive gear on that side.

Eric
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 05:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Hey Eric, no problem. I must admit that I actually cannot remember where the gensets were installed on the L43, 45 & 47. All I remember is that it was nice and easy to do oil changes and engine servicing without getting soaked as what happens sometimes in the newer Leopards with the SD. Good, solid boats and easy to sail those older Simonis designes. John.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 05:24   #7

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking

Thanks for the info.
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 05:36   #8

I'm a former L47 owner (Indigo). Access to starboard engine was under aft berth...move mattress, remove access panel...plenty of standup room. When I bought her, Port side only had a viewing panel under mattress and you had to climb in through hatch on sugar scoop...very tight and uncomfortable to work on engine, work on generator not bad. I had an access panel installed on port side (similar but simpler to starboard access panel)...made work on port side a breeze!! I agree...join Leopard group!

Cliff
CliffL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine