Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2021, 12:31   #91

Re: Leopard 50 burns and sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
I worked for a large metro FD for years. I can corroborate this. Though I never used a one on a legit one roomer-- I've used them in a lot of other situations. Off hand not sure I ever had to fully discharge one. Water with a little soap is far more versatile firefighting tool than dry chem-- though dry chem certainly has its place. Still, the bulk and weight of a 2.5 gallon water gun would be problematic for me on a boat. I'm not 25 any more. Never been able to find a decent 1 gallon watergun so with the low freeboard on my trawler, I'm comfortable with those pooltoy watergun tubes scattered in different parts of the boat to go with my dry chems. They're cheap, compact, manueverable and create a 40' stream of the wet stuff.
I’m a vollie, so sometimes you show up before the engine and have to locate/isolate/do what you can. I always questioned the point of being the can man on the truck and dragging that heavy thing through a building on all fours, but after using it, I changed my views!

I wouldn’t necessarily advocate a 2.5gal water can on a boat unless it’s a real big boat. I keep a 10lb ABC in my personal vehicle and took care of a ripping engine compartment fire on the highway a few weeks ago, with just a quick blast. I have no doubt that entire extinguisher could put a hurting on a pretty solid fire at sea...even if just enough to safely get out.

Anyway, my point is that while egress is most definitely a high priority, don’t underestimate the power of a good extinguisher...ESPECIALLY on the high seas!
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 15:28   #92

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
, we need to think seriously about stopping fires on our boats before they get big and we have to abandon.

Invite a firefighter to your boat for brunch, and ask them for input.

Ann

We've had a number of fire extinguisher threads. Usually the consensus view is that onboard fire suppression isn't worth it. The window of fires that are bad enough that they can't be extinguished by expedient means (shoe, towel, glass of water) and not so serious that they can plausibly be extinguished by the crew, is small.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-247529.html

In reality, water works best in situations like this. It will work on acetone and fiberglass. So having a washdown hose that is available, connected, and that can be deployed quickly without e.g. running to the breaker panel to turn on a switch is probably the most effective thing to hope for. Water and foam fire extinguishers are available but they are heavy and bulky, and expensive, by comparison.

Aboard, an FFFP foam extinguisher would be the best choice, as it is effective on both solids and fuel. They are not USCG approved and do not count towards the number of extinguishers needed for compliance though.
Old 07-09-2021, 15:43   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
We've had a number of fire extinguisher threads. Usually the consensus view is that onboard fire suppression isn't worth it. The window of fires that are bad enough that they can't be extinguished by expedient means (shoe, towel, glass of water) and not so serious that they can plausibly be extinguished by the crew, is small.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-247529.html

In reality, water works best in situations like this. It will work on acetone and fiberglass. So having a washdown hose that is available, connected, and that can be deployed quickly without e.g. running to the breaker panel to turn on a switch is probably the most effective thing to hope for. Water and foam fire extinguishers are available but they are heavy and bulky, and expensive, by comparison.

Aboard, an FFFP foam extinguisher would be the best choice, as it is effective on both solids and fuel. They are not USCG approved and do not count towards the number of extinguishers needed for compliance though.
That'd be my best system, an onboard standpipe system via washdown. Multiple stations with discreet stand alone 12v power.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 17:00   #94

From flashover to knocked, with 2.5 gallons. Impressive.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 22:18   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post

From flashover to knocked, with 2.5 gallons. Impressive.
Sadly that video reveals the horrible truth about Firefighters: We're pyromaniacs at heart...
"Look at that!"
"Don't put it out!"
"It's beautiful!"
Old 08-09-2021, 04:41   #96

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

The Elide fireball extinguisher seems interesting to be able to self activate in the presence of flame. Nice option if you're off the boat.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:33   #97

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
The Elide fireball extinguisher seems interesting to be able to self activate in the presence of flame. Nice option if you're off the boat.

They are small and use monoammonium phosphate dry chemical as the extinguishing agent. If they activate you will have a mess that typically can't be cleaned up without replacing some of the materials they contaminate. In the engine compartment for a modern engine all electrical and electronic components would require replacement.
Old 16-09-2021, 04:30   #98

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
Ex Fireman here, I'm paranoid because of the job, but I don't put gasoline on my boat. Diesel engine, small propane cartridges run the OB and the stove. 99% of cooking done on open deck. No acetone on board either. If I die on my boat, it won't be from fire hopefully, hopefully cause of death is old age or maybe the Kracken.

I think electrical fire is one of most common causes of boat fires actually
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 06:55   #99

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I hope this doesn’t spook you too much, but most fires on boats are electrical in nature. Not explosives or accelerants.
Very true, last experience for me was smelling smoke. Can't find anything wrong, notice AC acting strange, run to electrical cabinet notice melted smoking wires.

Screw on terminal block was loose.

Shut down power.

Replace melted blackened terminal blocks, and wires. Found a dozen other screws on panel loose with wires able to be pulled off.

Retighten every electrical connection on boat.

Numerous issues, corrosion, weak splices, etc...

Another thing to add to annual maintenance.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 01:16   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I think electrical fire is one of most common causes of boat fires actually
Gasoline vapors love a little help from bad electrical.
Old 17-09-2021, 07:16   #101

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
You’ve never left your vessel anywhere and driven home / to a friend’s / to the supermarket?

They’re medical professionals who give lectures to all sorts of professions - what does it matter who received their health advice?

By the reading of your post, no-one should ever leave their boat, or travel overseas by any form other than wind & sea, and never speak to anyone that works in any form of industry, and never, ever catch fish. Talk about self-righteous rubbish....

N
Even HAVING a boat, of any kind, is a sin. Unless perhaps it was made from wood that had already died, using tools made by hand from found materials like stones and vines.

At least if you follow the logic of our Marxist friend
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 07:22   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
I’m a vollie, so sometimes you show up before the engine and have to locate/isolate/do what you can. I always questioned the point of being the can man on the truck and dragging that heavy thing through a building on all fours, but after using it, I changed my views!

I wouldn’t necessarily advocate a 2.5gal water can on a boat unless it’s a real big boat. I keep a 10lb ABC in my personal vehicle and took care of a ripping engine compartment fire on the highway a few weeks ago, with just a quick blast. I have no doubt that entire extinguisher could put a hurting on a pretty solid fire at sea...even if just enough to safely get out.

Anyway, my point is that while egress is most definitely a high priority, don’t underestimate the power of a good extinguisher...ESPECIALLY on the high seas!
Correct me if I'm wrong C420, but isn't using a dry chem extinguisher in a confined space w/o ventilation, like a sailboat cabin, a breathing issue?

I used one once for an engine fire on a hot rod I was starting for the first time and even a quick blast made a huge mess of powder and that was outside.

Are there better options? I'm certainly rethinking what I have in place now.

Good thread.
Old 17-09-2021, 07:26   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Very true, last experience for me was smelling smoke. Can't find anything wrong, notice AC acting strange, run to electrical cabinet notice melted smoking wires.

Screw on terminal block was loose.

Shut down power.

Replace melted blackened terminal blocks, and wires. Found a dozen other screws on panel loose with wires able to be pulled off.

Retighten every electrical connection on boat.

Numerous issues, corrosion, weak splices, etc...

Another thing to add to annual maintenance.
I had EXACTLY this experience working from the boat a few weeks ago. Gf smelled smoke, took 5 mins to track down, exactly the same reason.

Had to make up a new 8AWG connector from the buss to breaker. I've added checking those connections to my annual checklist.

Scary to think of this happening if I was away from the boat (I don't turn a/c off when heading to the grocery, but don't leave it on when gone for overnight or longer).

Tags
leopard