Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2020, 10:33   #1

Leopard 47 (2001-2005)

Hello,
  1. What is wrong with the Leopard 47s on the market. They all seem to be priced below the market when compared to other cats of their vintage.
  2. I'd appreciate recommendations on the best way to educate myself on the used market.
  3. What should we be looking at?
  4. Does paying to relocate a yacht from the S. Pacific to the Caribbean destroy any savings there might be from purchasing there?

My wife and I are both teachers. I switched careers after working in the resource industry for 20 years. Now that we have more leisure time (long breaks) we are looking to spend more time sailing than the 1-2 weeks we have been able to spend chartering bareboats. We both really like teaching. We will probably do it for another 6 years at least. I was thinking the timing for purchasing a boat and putting it in charter would work well for us. It would give us more time in the next few years and pay down a boat until we can cruise full-time. The current crisis makes that plan seem much more risky so I'm trying to educate myself on the used market with an I to purchase in the next few 12-18 months. We'd like to spend <$400,000 when the time comes between boat and any refit. We want something with 8 berths so our kids and friends can join us on occasion. We have chartered lots of the usual suspects, leopards, lagoons, and FP. When we lived in Australia we chartered a Seawind 1250 which I really liked but it might be a bit cramped now that my kids are older.

finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:10   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Leopard 47 (2001-2005)

Disclaimer: I don't own a cat, but I've been researching the market a lot for several years, as I had planned to retire this year.

The vast majority of the 47s were made for Moorings and other charter fleets. A lot of them have had pretty heavy use with less than ideal maintenance. Many will have very high engine hours for their age compared to non-charter boats. There's an expression that applies to a lot of them "rode hard, put up wet."

Also, boats built for the charter industry are usually built to a lower price point that those built for private ownership. The level of finish, equipment, etc., all suffer for that.

Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:42   #3

Check out the O'Kellys you tube channel as they purchased one of these from the Moorings about two years ago. As I recall Nick paid about $250,000 for the boat "as Is" and dropped another $150,000 getting it the way he wanted it. Charter boats skimp on the amenities while the big stuff (hulls, decks and standing rigging are often the same as their "owners version counterparts" Given the age you listed, I suspect you will be looking at third owner boats as the charter companies tend to retire them after five years.

Leopards in general are considered very ocean capable boats as they are well built. What they use in the charter boats is the cheapest electronics, toilets and appliances. They never install water makers or generators and solar panels as this stuff costs big bucks and is not deemed necessary for the charter market.
joelhemington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 13:00   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

The O'Kellys are definitely worth watching, but bear in mind that they bought a 46, not a 47.

There's another thread here with some good info on the differences.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 13:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
What they use in the charter boats is the cheapest electronics, toilets and appliances. They never install water makers or generators and solar panels as this stuff costs big bucks and is not deemed necessary for the charter market.
We charter Leopard cats all the time. They ALL had generators and a/c. Nice electric heads too.

I'm told by the Moorings that generators and a/c are not always installed on Leopard charter boats in the Med.
Old 08-04-2020, 14:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Check out the O'Kellys you tube channel as they purchased one of these from the Moorings about two years ago. As I recall Nick paid about $250,000 for the boat "as Is" and dropped another $150,000 getting it the way he wanted it. Charter boats skimp on the amenities while the big stuff (hulls, decks and standing rigging are often the same as their "owners version counterparts" Given the age you listed, I suspect you will be looking at third owner boats as the charter companies tend to retire them after five years.

Leopards in general are considered very ocean capable boats as they are well built. What they use in the charter boats is the cheapest electronics, toilets and appliances. They never install water makers or generators and solar panels as this stuff costs big bucks and is not deemed necessary for the charter market.
I have watched that one. Their cat is a Leopard 46 which actually holds value much better than the 47 which is why I was asking.
Old 08-04-2020, 15:51   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegan View Post
I have watched that one. Their cat is a Leopard 46 which actually holds value much better than the 47 which is why I was asking.
The 47 is a stretched 45. The 46 is newer and is the replacement for the 47 which I believe explains part of the price difference. Some of the charter version Leopards had smaller masts to make it user friendly for inexperienced charterers but I'm not sure if the 47s had this also. Most of the 47s that have come up for sale recently seem to be well used.
Good Luck
Old 09-04-2020, 04:13   #8

Probably the big difference between the 46 and the 47 was bridge deck clearance. Other area would be walk through transom set up with dinghy stowage etc. Helm on 46 was probably more desirable too, especially in later models.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Probably the big difference between the 46 and the 47 was bridge deck clearance. Other area would be walk through transom set up with dinghy stowage etc. Helm on 46 was probably more desirable too, especially in later models.
Tin Tin thanks.

Low bridge deck clearance on the 47 would make me look at the 44 or 46. I don't have any personal experience with a bridge deck clearance issue but the descriptions on this forum give me pause.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:44   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Leopard had Morreili and Melvin design the 46. These are world famous naval architects who are known for performance yachts like Gunboat. I have read here on the forum that the 46 sails a little better than the 47. On the other hand some of the 47s are about half the price which is $200.000 less. I think you would be quite happy with a decent 47 with $200K extra in your wallet.
Good Luck
Leopard 46 - Morrelli & Melvin | Multihull Design * Engineering * Brokerage
Old 28-04-2020, 03:38   #11

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

On the other hand.. the 46 has the same windage as a cruise ship compared to the 47

The 45/47 & 43 have a LOT going for them compared to the models that have replaced them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegan View Post
Tin Tin thanks.

Low bridge deck clearance on the 47 would make me look at the 44 or 46. I don't have any personal experience with a bridge deck clearance issue but the descriptions on this forum give me pause.

Mystic38 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard