Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16   #1

Laptop usage and internet providers afloat?

Can anyone help us find our way through the confusing waters around computer and laptop versus tablets versus i-Phones etc. etc. I would like to work from out catamaran at least one or two days per week initially from Devon & Cornwall but the increasingly from Western Med. I would like to at least work out a course through the bewildering choice of devices and ways in which one can access the internet afloat. Any advice?
Seadog54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The only practical way is 3G gsm. Either supplied via a hotspot from a smart phone ( ie so your laptop can use it) or buy a dedicated 3G dongle
Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 11:31   #3
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
Re: Laptop usage and internet providers afloat?

Do you use an I-pad or tablet daily now? do you use a computer daily now? is it a Mac or a PC? Can you do all of your work on a tablet? (either an Ipad or an Android?) If you don't know, then get one and try it, see if you can stand not having a separate keyboard and mouse, see if the apps you find for it work well enough to do what you need. Is the screen big enough to see what you need to see?
Once you have all the answers to the above, you will have a better idea of what you need to work on remotely on your boat.

As a comparison, my wife and I just completed a 29 day trip on the inter-coastal water way from Corpus Christi, Tx. to Tampa, Fl. My wife uses an Ipad, I use an Android tablet, we also have a laptop PC on the boat, and a Mac and a PC at home. For internet on the boat we used her Ipad which has cell service, my smartphone tethered to either the laptop or my tablet or both, or we went to a bar/restaurant that had a free hotspot. Each device has its advantages and disadvantages. For example the ease of manipulating pictures from the camera we used the laptop. For easy email we used the Ipad, for texting the smartphone was best. For a backup GPS with charts the apps that worked best were for the Android tablet and they worked best when connected to the internet, (tethered to the smartphone).

As for how to make it work, there are a variety of options.
1. You can get a WIFI receiver/transmitter that will have the antenna on the mast with a booster that will let you connect from a mile or more away. This will let you tap into those unprotected WIFI hotspots for the restaurants and bars etc along the water way.
2. You can get a cell phone with mobile hotspot software that will let you have only a cell phone bill, yet have internet on several devices. (I have a Galaxy S4 with Verizon here in Florida that has this and I can have up to 5 devices attached).
3. You can get a Tablet or a laptop that has cell service in it so that you can connect directly via the cell service.
4. There are satellite phone/internet services that would allow you to connect via the Satphone.

There are other options, such as a modem that works over the radio, not sure of the level of difficulty in hooking it up/coordinating it with a network on board.

Disadvantages of cell service, you must be in range of a cell tower.
Disadvantage of SatPhone is probably the cost.
Disadvantage of the WIFI setup is finding an open hotspot close enough to where you want to work to make it happen.

But I need to go back to the beginning of my answer to your question. What will work for you on the type of device? the rest is just the mechanics of making it happen.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 13:27   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

My thought is that the first step is to have a wireless router on board. Maybe also a wired network for NMEA 2000.

Then as technology and your sailing destinations change, you can connect different devices to it (like those options mentioned above) on the Internet side. That gives you a local WiFi hot spot which you can use for your tablet, laptop, smart phone, desktop computer with nav software, wireless cameras or security systems, whatever.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 14:19   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Wifi access is of little use. Good 3G is often available upto 25 miles out and is more consistent then poor wifi. You can easily get a " all you can eat" data plan

You have two choices

Use a smartphone as a hotspot to relay 3G to wifi and use that wifi to share all the devices with be 3G connection

Buy a simple 3G dongle for a laptop and a broadband data plan

Alternatively a 3G iPad. But its not as useful.

In practice especially in your areas but increasingly in Europe , the 3G network offers better speed and much more reliable connectivity and easier setup. The same system will also work on the European mainland.

Wifi is now almost always closed , charg-able or crap. Having to continuously purchase hotspot time . Just to move on down the coast is a nuisance

The other thing is the GSM route means you probably already have the equipment already

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 14:53   #6

just a few thoughts on the matter....

- As you are planning to move countries, then no 3G data plan, that I am aware of will suit. You will probably get fleeced the moment you leave the country. Although you can start with a UK plan and cancel it later.

- Remember many carriers with good pricing deals like to lock the phones/3g devices to their network. So make sure it is unlocked.

- a smartphone as a 3g hotspot is fine when you are in your home country. Once you are out of your country you will either pay high data rates or have to swap sims and then loose your phone number

- 3G dongles are very limited in their usefulness as they are restricted to one laptop. Get a 3G mifi instead. Then you can use the 3G mifi with your phone/ipad/laptop and so can guests

- As you travel around the Med you will probably want to pick up prepaid sim card for data access.

- Do use wifi hotspots when you can, as you may find that the data limits on a prepaid is low and therefore you may use your allowance in GB quicker than any time limit.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 14:54   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
I think he meant local wifi network on board. The best bet is a simple modem that accepts a 3G dongle and creates a wifi network in board. They can be bought for about 50 bucks. Then you can connect wirelessly to your own network fro laptops. iPhones tablets printers etc.
cruising the med you will need to pick up a 3G card in each country. It's not too hard and pricing I around 50 euro per month for anything from 3gig to 30 gig. Depending on the country and plan. Like goatboating said, 3G can work a long way offshore. Usually at least 10m from my experience. I did connect to Croatia last week 50miles offshore !
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:02   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
In addition. I tried a tablet but returned it. I found it limited as opposed to the laptop. The laptop handles everything. From navigation program's with a GPS dongle and ais input, to emails , web, etc. the iPhone or tablet is good for a backup for mail and nav, as are tablets. And handy for apps like anchor alarms and tide tables etc,
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, laptop, loa