Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2014, 05:08   #46
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Lagoon Cat smashed in Thailand

Noelex you are quite right - due to the extent of the damage I cannot imagine any fiberglass boat, whether the hull was solid or cored, a monohull or multihull, surviving the pounding that it must have taken. It reminds me of some of the photos of the remains/remnants of fiberglass monos that broke up in Cabo San Lucas a number of years ago - a number of which had uncored hulls. While some may want to turn this into yet another multi versus mono, or solid versus cored frp thread, there is ZERO basis to draw those sorts of generalized conclusioins.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 05:40   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

It also more than the core make up, for example, were the bulkheads fully glassed in, or just coved or even worse, just tabbed. Best layup in the world and tabbed in bulkheads will equal disaster. I suggest if you don't know the have a look, I certainly do before I do any delivery

Quote:
blank stares or total misinformation from the salesmen.
Yep there are a few of them out there. And there are quite a few that don't even own a multi and are selling them, and or haven't sailed out of sight on a dark night on a multi. Hardly confidence inspiring.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 06:07   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
It also more than the core make up, for example, were the bulkheads fully glassed in, or just coved or even worse, just tabbed. Best layup in the world and tabbed in bulkheads will equal disaster. I suggest if you don't know the have a look, I certainly do before I do any delivery

Yep there are a few of them out there. And there are quite a few that don't even own a multi and are selling them, and or haven't sailed out of sight on a dark night on a multi. Hardly confidence inspiring.

very good points and very mysterious tech talk sales pitches no one understand, lets as CF invite the builders of catamarans do a proper sales pitch by explaining in layman detail what their julls are made of, pictures of sections very welcome, akso links to press and objective reviewers, surveuors to back up the info

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 06:12   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
very good points and very mysterious tech talk sales pitches no one understand, lets as CF invite the builders of catamarans do a proper sales pitch by explaining in layman detail what their julls are made of, pictures of sections very welcome, akso links to press and objective reviewers, surveuors to back up the info

let me add that I own a 1987 -34foot sail cruise cat, cstalac 10 m, and having been around most newer design cats i dont know
which could serve me better for purpose of liveaboard tropical islands areas of the indian ocean, my cat plain fibre hull, gets danaged, easily repaired. I have observed a feature that shows the quality of the cat, I check the horn ckeats, their size, their placement, and cant believe 40foot monsters with little SS horncleats located on the side of the hull? and that is than a cored hull
with chainplate i guess at the back of the cleat. Apply force, either it rips out, or it will squash the hull as foam core is like cushion

Old 19-09-2014, 06:56   #50
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

After all the pics of sunk and broken Lagoons we've seen on this forum in the last couple of years, I'm shocked you guys aren't aware. Lagoons have no core, they are solid glass. Which is extremely thin and mostly chop matt.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 07:05   #51
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
After all the pics of sunk and broken Lagoons we've seen on this forum in the last couple of years, I'm shocked you guys aren't aware. Lagoons have no core, they are solid glass. Which is extremely thin and mostly chop matt.

you confirm the need for clear info on hull construction, the either cored or thin hull construction needs to be explained

Old 19-09-2014, 07:51   #52
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

This is incorrect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 08:15   #53

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I thought all Lagoons were balsa core. The new ones are.
Discover the technical choices for Lagoon catamarans
Old 19-09-2014, 09:00   #54
CF Adviser

Sand Crab you are absolutely correct - and not only the current boats, but even the original Lagoon 41 and 37 from 1991/1992 had Baltek end-grain cores.

While it is obvious that some boats are more solidly constructed than others, there is absolutely no way to determine from that photograph anything about the qualtiy of construction of the boat and whether it contributed to the catastrophic failure of the hulls. All of this is nothing more than wild speculation!

Brad
Old 19-09-2014, 09:42   #55

Quote from the tech section of Lagoon...
Grounding
Safety: The ability to hit a reef or run aground, whether voluntarily (beaching or careening) or accidentally, without sustaining hull damage is an undeniable safety factor. In the case of a Lagoon catamaran the keels are totally isolated from the hull so if one gets damaged, the yacht will not sink.
Imprezza72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 09:52   #56

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Probably done with a chopper gun with little or no roving.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 09:55   #57
CF Adviser

Imprezza, there is taking a grounding and taking a repeated bashing against the bottom in extreme conditions. I referred earlier to Cabo San Lucas - even the heavily constructed, steel-hulled, full keel Joshua ended up on the beach with its sides stoved in, all hatches and portlights imploded, etc. Although it was later restored by a subsequent owner, Moitessier considered it a write-off. The frp boats (or pieces of them) littered the beach.
Old 19-09-2014, 10:10   #58
CF Adviser

Right, we have gone from an erroneous assertion that the hulls on Lagoons are thin fiberglass with no core material, to assertions that the hulls are made with the use of chopper guns and potentially no roving. In the same 'spirit' of providing useful information and rational analysis, let me suggest that what caused this boat to disintegrate in what was no doubt just a mild grounding, is that Lagoon in fact don't use end-grain balsa core - the entire hulls and deck are made out of balsa!

Trust me, I am not suggesting that Lagoon's construction methods are the paradigm for yacht construction, but I don't think this kind of erroneous information and wild speculation is helpful.

Brad
Old 19-09-2014, 10:38   #59

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

You are correct. Sorry if I hit a nerve. Everything is a compromise weight and cost of production. Lagoon is not a cheap production boat when it comes to the wallet. Balsa core should be rigged but my concern with that has always been getting waterlogged.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:41   #60

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

There are a lot of lies & untruths being made here by people who obviously don't own a Lagoon or even had a decent look at one. Our 2004 L380 is solid glass below the waterline & no it's not chop strand. Above the waterline is end grain balsa sand which. All stress areas eg. Winch bases etc are either solid glass or heavily reinforce with multiple layers of heavy cloth.

I really don't know where some of these people get their information. It only takes a look inside cupboards, ceiling access hatches or lift a few floor boards or climb into the engine compartments to see the construction. I guess it's easier to talk bs & make your decision on the lack of info in glossy brochures.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Seawind, Thailand