Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 16:30   #31

Re: Lagoon 77

Yes they do have nice features and the flybridge...perhaps the problems were in the first years of production?

We're narrowing in on 2 cats,maybe we ought to take another look at the 62.
DaveWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 14:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
From the comments under this video:

"Hey folks, this is still a Lagoon, and they have not figured out how to keep hull windows from leaking (I had a 500 destroyed by a failed window and a 52 that the factory would not repair when the hull windows leaked after one year). The salon door on the 52 is attached by sheet metal screws, so don't expect those nice glass doors to work after a few months or less. And the opening sun deck on the hull, I would not even think for a second that Lagoon could engineer (or support) this properly. It's all marketing, smoke and mirrors. Look at the used prices on 62's,,,can't even give them away. IF they could actually make this dream video a reality it would be great, but trust me, they absolutely cannot. The WORST customer service of any luxury item in the world. If you want a yacht like this, go to a real boat builder, but Lagoon is famous for building cheap fleet boats for charter companies, and this would be a nightmare to maintain. No global service, no interest in really helping the $1+M buyer at all. If you have to have one, wait an year or two and buy a used one at half price. My 52 was pristine and had many custom upgrades and I had a hard time "giving" it away to stop the financial bleeding. Nice video, I would buy the plane first."

That sounds not very optimistic.
And he's correct, you can buy 3 year old Lagoon 620 with mind blowing features and updates for $0.9-1M, which sounds absolutely crazy. Has anyone seen one of these? Are they THAT bad? I mean - I don't mind it to be a project, the only question is - how big is that project?
Speaking of leaking windows on a Lagoon catamaran.....

Here is a picture of our recent charter of a Lagoon 440. This was not noticeable from the inside and we thought it was the hatch that was leaking. We secured it with duct tape and luckily this was the day before we had to return the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050139.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	138453  
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 21:06   #33

I'm literally laughing Well, that doesn't look good, but extremely easy to fix - just remove it, properly prepare the surface and glue it back using proper adhesive. This alone definitely wouldn't scare me, but it looks like Lagoon quality control is no good for real
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 21:37   #34

I forgot to add - it also may indicate that modern Lagoon hulls are too flexible indeed, and that would be real bad.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 01:27   #35

"I forgot to add - it also may indicate that modern Lagoon hulls are too flexible indeed, and that would be real bad."

It's a L440 bear boat charter yacht that must be between 6 and 12 years old Manufactured from 2004 to 2010. So probably says more about the maintenance of the boat in the past than it's construction.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 04:59   #36

What happened to all the stories about "space age" glues that are used for bonding such things as ports. If a port can not withstand 6 or 12 years of use and just remain in place what would you expect if it was really put to the test in storm conditions?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 05:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
"I forgot to add - it also may indicate that modern Lagoon hulls are too flexible indeed, and that would be real bad."

It's a L440 bear boat charter yacht that must be between 6 and 12 years old Manufactured from 2004 to 2010. So probably says more about the maintenance of the boat in the past than it's construction.
The boat is a 2009.
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 05:14   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you can afford it who needs haul outs.. just trade it in when the ash trays are full..
HAHA!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 05:17   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
T
Not wanting to give you a nudge on Christmas Day but when was the last time you ever saw...check all ports to ensure they are not falling out...on a maintenance schedule for a yacht??
When something like this happens it has nothing to do with maintenance, what it speaks to is either poor design or poor construction or both.
I suspect that the glue probably sat too long before the port was installed.
Old 25-12-2016, 07:16   #40
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

No problems, a gob of silicone and 4 good lag screws should make her as good as new!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 08:50   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
No problems, a gob of silicone and 4 good lag screws should make her as good as new!
Silicone is probably not the answer but Sikaflex 292 is probably the right choice. Not sure why the factory doesn't use some form of mechanical fastener as well as adhesive on Beneteau as well as Lagoons. We were next to a Lagoon owner in Gibraltar and when he was waxing his boat one of the ports fell out into his hand. He loved his boat but was very concerned when this happened.
Old 25-12-2016, 08:54   #42
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Silicone is probably not the answer but Sikaflex 292 is probably the right choice. Not sure why the factory doesn't use some form of mechanical fastener as well as adhesive on Beneteau as well as Lagoons. We were next to a Lagoon owner in Gibraltar and when he was waxing his boat one of the ports fell out into his hand. He loved his boat but was very concerned when this happened.

Guess I forgot the smiley face! My post was in jest, but I agree, some mechanical fasteners wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 11:17   #43

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I noticed that both the cat and mono videos hid the 3 professional crew which would be necessary on boats that size. Just one happy family, until reality sets in.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 12:17   #44

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I noticed that both the cat and mono videos hid the 3 professional crew which would be necessary on boats that size. Just one happy family, until reality sets in.
Crew members are a necessity on boats of that size and I bet the more than 100ft monohulls posted will need probably more than three.

But the ones that buy boats this size know that and probably will have not only sail crew but house domestic crew too: a cook and a house maid at least. They will live in the boat the same way they live in their houses.

I remember some years ago being very early on the Portofino quay

that at that early hour was deserted except by the full dressed maids from the various mega yachts, shopping for the breakfast of their "masters" and one ocasional butler supervising the operation.

I am not sure if the Lagoon 77 points to this luxury market, probably more for charter, but the big monohulls that were posted point to this even if not at such big scale as the big motorboats that use to be at Portofino.

You can see that on the Swan 115 Layout you have a completely segregated set of cabins for a crew, 3 with heads and space for six. They even have a separated small saloon for their use.

There is only one at the helm

but even with a lot of buttons and electric and hydraulic help this boat cannot be sailed alone, at least with a big Geenaker and probably the one that has having fun at the wheel is not the owner but a paid crew member, a lucky one
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 05:39   #45

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
but even with a lot of buttons and electric and hydraulic help this boat cannot be sailed alone, at least with a big Geenaker and probably the one that has having fun at the wheel is not the owner but a paid crew member, a lucky one
Gybing in 15 minutes, can crew stop polishing the bidet, making nibbles and come on deck please...

Tags
lagoon