Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 07:02   #226

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Lagoon 52, think twice before purchasing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Many owners don't like to say much negatives about their boat. It's reducing the resale value.
This is absolutely true and it's why one can get a skewed internet impression of the fit, form, finish, and quality of a given model. Most folks are smart enough not to air their dirty laundry in public. It costs.

It is why the sum total of human knowledge on the internet has gaps.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:39   #227

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

i find it quite sad that all the explanation brings you back to cost...i absolutely disagree with your analysis..most people will say it if something does not work or if they are not happy with their boats...then when the time comes to resell it they will clam up..but not before then
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:49   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauris View Post
i find it quite sad that all the explanation brings you back to cost...i absolutely disagree with your analysis..most people will say it if something does not work or if they are not happy with their boats...then when the time comes to resell it they will clam up..but not before then
Human nature puts self-interest at a pretty high premium. Once a builder/manufacturer/model/etc. gets a reputation I suspect the resale bottom line can suffer significantly.
Old 16-09-2016, 09:13   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauris View Post
On an internet forum like this one, it's very easy to go back 5 or 6 yrs and find the posts someone made about all of the problems they had and correlate that with the current For Sale ad which doesn't list any of those problems.

Even if they don't complain about the boat, just asking for help with an issue, like osmosis, is pretty much enough to tell what's going on with it.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 09:47   #230

I can imagine the following dialog.

"I see XXX is for sale. We are interested in this model. BTW, I know you replaced the rudder and bearings but did you ever get a final resolution on the keel bolts after your hard grounding three years ago?"
Old 16-09-2016, 10:23   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I can imagine the following dialog.

"I see XXX is for sale. We are interested in this model. BTW, I know you replaced the rudder and bearings but did you ever get a final resolution on the keel bolts after your hard grounding three years ago?"
Precisely.

These types of conversations happen all of the time on other websites I'm on.

"I see you're asking $45,000 for your 2006 Extreme Double Throwdown. I recall you rolled it twice in 2008 and it needed $15,000 in repairs to the bodywork and chassis. Do you have some close up pic of the frame repairs and the bodywork that was replaced?"

That's why they have CarFax for cars, so you can look into the background of a car before buying it and finding out it was brought across the country after getting flooded.

There's definitely an opportunity to develop a database of vessels and their reported history so people don't buy a salvaged sunken hull without any warning from the seller.

I think this thread alone has been an invaluable insight into how Lagoon handles it's after sales commitments and it's relationships with dealers and customers. Not all mfrs do business like this, and if this sort of thing makes a difference in what you choose to buy, it's nice to know before making a deposit.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, purchasing