Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 14:28   #1

Boat: Shopping for a Catamaran
Lagoon 450... Am I crazy singlehanding?

Ok, I am sure you guys will give it to me straight...

I am considering a lagoon 450F for many reasons. My biggest concern is that I will often be sailing shorthanded and sometimes singlehanded. I'll be clear, I am not a lifelong experienced sailor. I have been a powerboat guy forever. Mostly larger twin engine boats. The past two years I have been learning to sail both with classes and on my own whenever I can. Currently I manage a tartan 30 singlehanded all the time. I feel like as long as you do all the preparation in advance, things are super easy to manage. Even docking in a slip is a breeze.

Although the 450 is a MUCH bigger vessel, I feel like the same principles would apply. The flybridge may make it difficult to dock singlehanded because of the extra steps necessary to get from the helm to the stern.

I chose the 450 because this will be my home and I will be in a marina or at anchor 90% of the time. Comfort and space is a very important factor to me.

I want to hear your thoughts on single handing this boat. Talk me out of it! Hahaha

Aaaaaand go........

Old 04-03-2020, 14:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Lagoon 450... Am I crazy singlehanding?

The problem is not the sizei it's the flybridge..
On of the problem is the one you mentioned; docking.. The second one is to have to run up and down for some reason. This is not easy on the choppy sea and tough weather conditions. Having a remote A/P control can help on this but only partly.
The last one is the mainsail. L 450 have very high boom and reefing/unreefing even zipping the lazybag is an issue. İn bad weather it's even a bigger issue if you are on yr own.
I single handled several times Nauthitech Fly 46 and Catana 47 which are about the same size. Catana is much more easier and safer, with the helm station easy to reach (I know many people believe that it's over exposed..) and all the reefing lines are coming to the huge winch in the cockpit.

But if you love L450 and you ar at anchor 90 % of yr time, then go for it..

Cheers

Yeloya

yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 15:08   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

i have l400 which is miniaturized version of l450. Singlehandling is EASY. I do it all the time, everything.

You have benefit of 3000+ lagons built and sailed over nearly 4 decades and body of knowledge - feedback from sailors - details of built are truly refined and you realize that as you go.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 16:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
On of the problem is the one you mentioned; docking.. The second one is to have to run up and down for some reason. This is not easy on the choppy sea and tough weather conditions. Having a remote A/P control can help on this but only partly.
The last one is the mainsail. L 450 have very high boom and reefing/unreefing even zipping the lazybag is an issue. İn bad weather it's even a bigger issue if you are on yr own.
I single handled several times Nauthitech Fly 46 and Catana 47 which are about the same size. Catana is much more easier and safer, with the helm station easy to reach (I know many people believe that it's over exposed..) and all the reefing lines are coming to the huge winch in the cockpit.

Cheers

Yeloya

Very good point about going up and down in rough weather. The flybridge is the only sticking point for me. I believe it is something I would get used to and have a plan for in those situations, but you never know until you know....
Old 04-03-2020, 17:39   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Zipping the bag can easily be done when single handing; just modify it and pull from anywhere: https://www.sailrite.com/Ideas-for-M...Your-Sail-Pack

We just bought a 450F that I’ll probably single hand at some point. Advance prep is the key...

Have fun
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 23:50   #6

We own a lagoon 450s (sportop version) and its in my opinion the perfect boat for single handed sailing .
Lower boom , much better protected steering wheel, good visibility on 4 corners, easy to go from steering station to the deck (no steps), all winches are just near the steering wheel , from the steering wheel you can easily have contact with people on the sun deck on the roof top and people in the cockpit or in the saloon .

And of course the same comfort than the fly bridge version.

We sailed both version (sportop and fly bridge) many times and we always preferred the sportop
pairoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 00:11   #7

Boat: Outremer 55L

We have not a Lagoon, but a slightly longer cat. Other than undocking and docking, everything else is easily singlehanded assuming you have an autopilot and reasonably efficient layout. We have our halyards and reefing lines at the mast, but even those operations can be done step by step singlehanded.

It’s a state of mind, not a boat size or equipment thing. If there are any manoeuvres that require simultaneous tasks then see if you can adjust those so the tasks are sequential.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairoth View Post
We own a lagoon 450s (sportop version) and its in my opinion the perfect boat for single handed sailing .
Lower boom , much better protected steering wheel, good visibility on 4 corners, easy to go from steering station to the deck (no steps), all winches are just near the steering wheel , from the steering wheel you can easily have contact with people on the sun deck on the roof top and people in the cockpit or in the saloon .

We sailed both version (sportop and fly bridge) many times and we always preferred the sportop

Friends of ours also have a 450s (sportop) and I was mildly impressed, I am not a lover of "charter bias" cats, but it is lighter more ergonomic and appears to perform better than it's flybridge sister. As a single hander why would you want to make things more difficult by separating yourself from the amenities.

Are you aware of the exclusions most insurance companies impose relating to single handing?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:43   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Friends of ours also have a 450s (sportop) and I was mildly impressed, I am not a lover of "charter bias" cats, but it is lighter more ergonomic and appears to perform better than it's flybridge sister. As a single hander why would you want to make things more difficult by separating yourself from the amenities.

Are you aware of the exclusions most insurance companies impose relating to single handing?
I am afraid we are geared again endless "flybridge or not" debate.I am too not a fun of flybridge for a number of reason, one of them being the difficulty of singlehandling IMO. But charter clients and many forumers do love flybridge which is absolutely fine..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairoth View Post

Totally agree. If I could find a sport top in my price range, I would have no reservations at all.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I wasn't aware that insurance made any exclusions for single handing. Interesting.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:21   #12

If you doubt your capabilities, then yes.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

Cheers

Yeloya
A L 450 S would solve the problems of high boom and it does not have a fly bridge. Or go with a lagoon 42 or lagoon 40. Depends how often you need all the space of a 450.
Augi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:30   #14

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I have a friend with a 45 cat that single hands, sometimes he gets volunteer crew that want to go to his destination, I know many couples some with children (small) who also are out there sailing, my wife and I sail our 60' cat by ourselves.....it's all about preparation and doing (reefing or anything related to sailing) before you have to
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:44   #15

Boat: 40' Leopard

Single handed sailing is no big deal if you are prepared.
All lines lead aft , Electric winch and dock lines lead to helm station. It is all prep.
And knowledge of sailing

I sailed a leopard 40 most of time single handed

rancher44 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, single, singlehanding