Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2014, 12:06   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lagoon 440

hey scarlet no worries glad to help out....the 240vac a/c is 240 volts ac current air conditioning. i had installed total of 4 units, 44,000btu's individually controlled in three staterooms w/heads as wells the saloon.
electrical is just one of those items on a boat that many owners mess with but do not really know much about then you have the corrosion factor, many of the switches, light fixtures were not functioning. i also had my genset wired to also produce 240volts to run a/c on genset.
some of the additional cost is the premium for the three cabin model over the charter version they typical are higher. the tlc like the bright work needs work the gelcoat was retry oxidized and all of the orig cushions are just worn out. new helm cushions nor seats and bolsters was just $1800
Aquapazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 13:06   #17

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

aqua.. that's actually cheap for cushions. they are sooo expensive.

What did you do about the gel coat? did that require complete stripping? or did they have to reapply the whole thing? how did you repair that?

regarding the AC.. wow... you really put a lot into that. I hadn't thought about it... I guess I just thought there would be one per hull...

Who do you go about hiring regarding the electric? do you just hire a general electrition? or do you need to hire someone who specialized in boats?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 02:48   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

One of the fundamental rules of electricity is that when you double the voltage from 120 to 240 you cut in in half the amps required to do the same work required. The amps are the big thing and these are the actual workforce. By using less amps he can now use a smaller wire size which means his runs were easier and actually weighed less. In theory the motors should run cooler too because a byproduct of more amps is more wasted heat. This does have other complications because he will still need 120V to run all the standard daily plug in stuff and will need 12V to run other boaty stuff too. This is when other electronics are needed to step down the voltage. Kaching!

FWIW boat aircons are available in 12V DC, 24V DC, 120V 60 Hz AC, and 240 AC (50 or 60 Hz) plus other voltages for the really big boats. Only really small units can run on 12V DC because the amp load is so high and 24V units are rare. DC is direct current like your car battery and has a positive and a negative side, AC is alternating current and alternates the positive and negative 60 times a second here in the US and 50 times in Europe and elsewhere and that is expressed in Hz for hertz. We use 120V 60 Hz for our basic stuff but use 240V 60 Hz for larger items like electric stoves and the central air in your house. The Euro voltage is 240V 50 Hz for everything but the 50 Hz part might cause some problems with some appliances here (like boat aircons) so buying a boat wired that way has this and other potential issues. In fact the wire may be too small (but not always) to convert the boat to 120V US specs. Kaching!

ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) certifies marine electricians and I suspect that the hourly rate might be close to a regular electrician. You do need a marine electrician though. The systems are different. I think that it is a rule but not a law that one has to be certified to do marine electrical work in the US and many yards may have really good uncertified help. In OZ it is a law I think.

And I left out the best part. A boatbuck is a $1000 and you will be spending these regularly. Kaching!
Old 31-12-2014, 21:26   #19

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

What's a boat buck?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:02   #20

Boat: Leopard 50

Jezz, yes .... they do sell for that. You would have to find an absolute bargain from a desperate seller or a boat with problems for much under 400 / 450k in my opinion. You might find one but I think it will be hard..... We've watched the 440 listings closely for last couple of years and not seen any that cheap. Good luck in your search !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Boardshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:38   #21

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
What's a boat buck?
$1000 and marinas and yards only accept these.
Old 01-01-2015, 13:00   #22

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Reading that you plan to buy a Lagoon 440 I wonder which projects you have?
In my opinion the L440 is a good cat for sailing short distances in company as it is done when chartering in the caribbean or elsewhere.
But I would not sail her on ocean passages short handed. The helmstation is far away from the salon or so called cockpit. To trim the sails means you have to go up to helm station. Not a problem when dooing coastal sailing as when the helm is all the time manned.
The boom is, due to the position on the helm, so high over deck that you cannot reach the main. How will you manage that if you have a problem e.g. with the reefing in a blow?
I know that the L 440 and 450 are a success and other builders copie it now. But all that are catamarans where the Charter is the first goal.
And about the cost for the maintenance and berthing such a big machine, you have two hulls what means more or less the double costs. And a beam over 7 m means that finding a Travellift for the regular haulot is not easy and in parts of the world impossible.
But a said for the short distances in the caribbean, on the OZ east coast,
in Fiji or Society Islands she is ok. But in between you may be in need of some more crew.
Fair winds
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440