Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 11:32   #1

Lagoon 420 for sunset charters and liveaboard.

Hello everyone. I've been hanging around here for some time and appreciate all the valuable info I have gathered from you all. I've been in the market for a Cat for almost a year now and have my eye on a 420, the misses and myself are bartenders by trade and would like to offset some of the cost of living on the cat by starting a afternoon and evening sunset charter business a few days a week in our hometown of Atlantic City. I've been running around these water ways for 20 plus years but never sailed, I do have a friend that is going to start taking me out on his bluewater mono hull for lessons and I'm working on my capt license at the moment. Does any one else here do something like this? if so any advice for us would be very much appreciated.

Btw we have a slip available to us at her fathers place so that's covered already.
Whalebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 16:15   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Lagoon 420 for sunset charters and liveaboard.

Certifying a boat and you are not cheap. I've heard the boat will need about $50K. Are you sure you want to do this?
Old 15-11-2014, 16:26   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Don't forget to get a waiver of the Jones Act. If you don't know what this is, recommend you stop right now and research it.

Small Vessel Waiver Program

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 09:43   #4

Whether I'll be chartering the cat has yet to be seen, I am just doing my homework at this point and that's the reason of this thread. I'll be buying a cat to live on regardless of my decision to charter but the difference will be whether I'm living a 2009 Lagoon 420 or a 1990 Gemini 105M. Thanks for the heads up on the Jones Act Dave, the part about the US confiscating the vessel was an eye opener to say the least.
Old 16-11-2014, 09:57   #5

I find it hard to believe no other cat owners are supplementing their income by way of sunset cruises? In my case, I see it as the right time and place. Even with all the negative ( over played by the media ) news about AC we still have a million ppl a week that come to the city for day and over night trips. This city has a ton of history and some beautiful views from the ocean and bays. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make a nice dime just from the sunset cruises alone not to mention private charters, food n beverage and merchandise etc... I have a solid network of friends and associates through out the city that are involved with thousands of tourist on a daily basis so marketing the cruises won't be a problem. With that said I am weary that my passion about being on the water could be spoiled by making a part time job out of it. Thanks again for all advice and or experiences.
Old 16-11-2014, 13:53   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Setting your boat up for bareboat charters is the cheapest way to go but you are not allowed to be on the boat at all. Sunset charters means that the captain and mate will have to have the necessary certifications because you are doing this the legal way, right?. The boat will need higher stanchions and lifelines, and an automated fire suppression system in the engine compartment plus lots more. They say it's $50K like I posted earlier.
Plus the Jones Act.
I think it would be a struggle to get back the initial financial outlay for the boat certification. And all that time and effort won't contribute any value to the cat when you sell it and may lower the value. Most people don't want a charter boat especially a day charter) and the ones that do purchase one expect a price break.
Old 16-11-2014, 14:30   #7

Your best bet would be to operate as an uninspected passenger vessel. Maximum persons limited to 6. Tough to make it with insurance, dockage, fuel, and everything else.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 16:06   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw1961 View Post
Your best bet would be to operate as an uninspected passenger vessel. Maximum persons limited to 6. Tough to make it with insurance, dockage, fuel, and everything else.
Yes, if you operate as an uninspected vessel it is much easier.

I don't think operating as an inspected vessel would be a practical decision unless you bought a boat with much higher head count potentential. Inspected has more compliance requirements plus an annual inspection by the USCG before you can operate.

Insurance is much higher for commercial use whether inspected vessel or not.

You can run uninspected vessel charters with a limited liscence like OUPV.

Check local and State regulations too. Not just boat related, but taxes etc also.

If the boat is Federally documented be sure you get the right endorsements. NVDC staff is very helpful and will explain to you what is needed.

Jones act waiver is easy, but will take time to complete the process. I did one many years ago and it took a few months (maybe longer in the post 9/11 world). If anyone protests your application then my understanding is that it will denied. Ask the MRAD staff about current venues where protests are common. When I did mine, they just listed them off for me and suggested I not even bother apply for those places (not sure if AC falls in that category).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 10:12   #9

After reading all the above info, the 6 pack charter seems like the best bet for me. You guys just saved me a boatload of time and possibly money.Thank you gentlemen

Tags
charter, lagoon, lagoon 420, liveaboard