Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2012, 12:42   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version
Lagoon 380 owners Vs. Lagoon 41 Standard

Hello,

I'm looking at cruising cats, and as the title suggests, I'm interested in the difference in interior space and comfort when comparing the L380 Owners Version to the L410 standard version.

Perhaps this is a bad idea, but my thought is that a Lagoon 410 coming out of the Charter fleet is roughly the same cost as a privately owned Lagoon 380 OV.

When it comes to carrying capacity, and bridge deck clearance, I assume the 410 is a better blue water cruiser than the 380.
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 21:36   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Re: Lagoon 380 owners Vs. Lagoon 41 Standard

I'm also quite interested to see what kind of response you get to this...
Wannabe-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 00:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Charter version = 4 cabins = 4 heads / showers.
Owner version = 3 cabins = 3 heads and one LARGE shower on the 380.

Question is, does the CHARTER 410 have a large standing room shower like the OWNERS 380 does?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 06:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

He is comparing the 380 OV to the 410 standard version which has only two heads and a standup shower in each head. I may be biased because I own a standard version, however I feel the 410 is a much bigger boat then just the three feet in length. I've been onboard and sailed both (I'm a broker) and the 410 rides a little better and generally you can move about the 410 easier. We removed the rear sette from the salon and it really opened that space up!

My suggestion if you can is to go on board both boats with whoever you plan to sail with and start moving about the boat as if you lived on it. See how it feels to have two or more people moving about the boat doing their daily business.

Both are great boats, you just have to see which one fits you.

Hope this helps a little.

Follow our blog at....Cruisin' with the Clarks | Come with us as we refit and resize our lives in order to go cruising on a 41 foot catamaran.
Sid at SailAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:31   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version

I hadn't considered the shower on the OV. Sid what's it like using the shower on the standard version? Seems like water would get everywhere, and then you have to deal with a soaking wet head?

Sounds like a Lagoon 410 owners version is the answer :P
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:50   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Concerning the shower we thought the same thing,water everywhere. We even put up a shower curtain. In the end the curtain was a nuisance and we took it down. The water doesn't get everywhere but tends to stay in the shower area. It turned into a non issue.
The 410 OV does have a larger shower, but they are hard to find and you'll pay a premium when you do find one.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sid at SailAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 09:50   #7

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.lawie View Post
Hello,

I'm looking at cruising cats, and as the title suggests, I'm interested in the difference in interior space and comfort when comparing the L380 Owners Version to the L410 standard version.

Perhaps this is a bad idea, but my thought is that a Lagoon 410 coming out of the Charter fleet is roughly the same cost as a privately owned Lagoon 380 OV.

When it comes to carrying capacity, and bridge deck clearance, I assume the 410 is a better blue water cruiser than the 380.
If you look at the overall length and widths, you'll see that the differences are not that great.

All the showers are "standup" in the sense that they are tall enough to stand in, but the 4 heads are quite small in size and are probably more comfortable as sitdown.

The saloon on the 410 is slightly wider than the 380, which means that the walk-around is slightly narrower as well. There are small differences in the visibility from the helm, as well.

There are differences in the configuration of the main saloon. The 380 (I think) has a fixed bench in the center, for example, that you might find unappealing. I believe also that the windows on the 410 are slightly larger and more vertical.

I'm going basically off memory. Have you visited any of these boats in person?
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 12:14   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

We cruised our 410 standard version (4 cabin / 2 head) in the Med and from the Med to the Caribbean during a sabbatical.
We met another family on a 380 S2 Owners Version in Spain on the same trip, we cruised the spanish coast together, crossed Gibraltar together, rejoining at the Canaries and the Antilles.
I spend more than one afternoon on our buddies boat (chatting, drinking, repairing stuff). So I guess I can comment on both.

The 410 is just a bit faster on all courses but not a huge difference. The slapping against the protrusion in the bridgdeck shape seems to make the aft cabins of the 410 a bit louder than on the 380. But that's about it from a sailing perspective.
I don't think there is much difference in carrying capacity, as the 380 has relatively fat hulls. Both cats were heavily loaded, with lots of amenities and lots of stuff onboard.
Bridgedeck clearance is sufficient on both to make substantial bridgedeck slamming are rare thing, limited to beating against the wind.

There is an often debated difference in engine placement between the 410 (under aft cabin bed, saildrive before rudder) and the 380 (engine in separate outside compartment, saildrive behind rudder). Some like one arrangement more than the other, the net is full of mostly biased comments. I don't favour any particular approach, ours worked out OK for us but I think I can live with the other with no problem. Don't worry about getting the under-bed engine out in case of trouble, that is simple and takes almost no time (we had one rebuilt).
The 410 was available with a straight shaft drive option.

The construction and fittings of the 410 feel a bit beefier but not much. The electrical and plumbing seems to be better engineered on a 380 S2 than on an earlier 410.

Regarding creature comfort there is standing headroom everywhere, at least for me. Of course also in all heads.

The individual cabins are of equal size, not much difference, except for bed orientation in the aft cabins.

The heads have a completely different layout.
The standard head on a 380 is OK as a day head but I would consider it only as an emergency shower. The owner's head is really nice and well layed out.

The two heads on a 410 are much bigger, with lot's of elbow room and a somewhat separate shower space. The floor has a slight slope to ensure that the water stays in the shower area (not when showering underway). We added a curtain and had no problem at all. We even showered with two small kids even when on passage and did not feel cramped. There is a sitting area in the shower useful when taking a shower on a rough passage.

I would put both on par from that perspective.
But this is only the case for 380 owner and 410 standard version. A 380 in charter layout (4 cabin, 2 heads) lacks a useable head (in my view). Same for the 410 charter version (4 cabin, 4 heads).

The 380 OV has a nice desk area, which helps reduce the stuff lying around in the saloon. This basically come at the "price" of one front cabin.

The main difference to me is the living area in saloon and cockpit.
The saloon on the 410 feels muach bigger, a nicer sitting area, more locker space for kitchen utensils, food and crockery. A bigger nav table.
The cockpit of the 410 is a bit wider, bigger, more open space, nicer table and seating. There is one drawback: as soon as water comes over the bow there is a little stream of water running over the deck finding it's way into the cockpit. The 380 has a deck shape that directs this water away from the cockpit.

We liked the additional space but I would not overemphasize this. A 380 is already quite nice, the 410 is just a bit better.

I would consider both, and buy the one that is in better shape, better equipment or better price.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 12:32   #9

Thanks for sharing your practical experience on the two boats Rabbi! Im almost convinced to go with the owners version, and then see how far my budget will take me.
Old 25-11-2012, 14:32   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

Looking at both boats myself and recently chartered an OV 380. Decided the boat was not for me. Probably the next boat I charter will be a 410. I've been on both an OV and standard 410. Both have advantages but I would not pay more for the OV. The two bathrooms on the 410 standard are large, and I like the idea of the forward cabin/turning it into a workshop and storage.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 14:41   #11

but would you pay more for the 380ov vs 380 std/charter?
...and can you enlighten us as to why the 380 wasn't to your liking? Just too small?

edit: ...pathhlesschosen, as one actively looking at both boats, i'm really interested to hear more of your thoughts on the 410. What do you think of the engine placement? ...and the older design, thinner hulls?
...any qualms about it being a discontinued model?
Old 25-11-2012, 15:32   #12

Boat: Lagoon 400

I would only consider the OV380 for cruising as I prefer a shower with some room. The 380 is a little too small for a four cabin version. Just my opinion.

The wife and I both really enjoyed many of the 380 features. A very good choice for some. We both are looking for a slightly larger catamaran for sailing performance, stability, and interior room. The 410 might not be the boat for us either.

The 410 engine placement I do not see as an issue. The older design with narrow hulls helps with sailing performance. The only real complaint was mentioned by Rabbi. The flat surface area in the rear berths are noisy at times. Not a deal breaker, but another reason to purchase the standard version as you can sleep in the front berths if seas are rough.

Cheers!
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 19:45   #13

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

The owners version costs more only because of it's rarity. The majority of cats on the market were purchased for charter services, and in the past that was all 4 cabin models. The owner's version does not necessarily have an inherent superiority, as there are benefits in both designs, but are distinctly less common and also much more likely to be owner-occupied and therefore typically demand a higher asking price from those buyers who definitely prefer that design.

Recently, Moorings has started putting 3 cabin version into their charter fleets in the smaller cat models, so this inequity may change in the future.

If the price difference is high enough, and you have sufficient interest and skills, you could probably build your own OV easily enough.

I believe that for that size a boat, long-term cruisers will appreciate the extra storage and ability to host guests aboard. If you're not one of them, expect OV's to be higher priced.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 22:31   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
If the price difference is high enough, and you have sufficient interest and skills, you could probably build your own OV easily enough.
The net result of such a modification will most likely be that the boat is worth less than before. Even if you have the right skills and it looks good, you still just made a production cat into a custom cat that suits your very special needs. You are therefore loosing the marketability of the mass product

There is a fairly recent and fully loaded 380 owners version on the market that had the bow cabin converted to a dressing room, including cutting out the (structural) bulkhead. The price is good but I guess it will stay there for some time...

Funny side note: Owners Version have a slightly lower base price than charter versions, yet demand a premium for being rare.
Anyone buying a charter version for private is making a mistake!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 23:09   #15

Boat: Lagoon 440

A nice clip to whet your appetite. The charter companies here in the Adriatic are also buying some owners versions to satisfy the family charterer.....Makes sense.

Cheers

Tags
lagoon