Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2012, 12:25   #31

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
Owned by dreamers????????
Owned by loving owners who do not really want to sell their beloved baby... and put an unrealistic price tag on the boat... dreamers
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 21:07   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lagoon 380 owners Vs. Lagoon 41 Standard

Ok we travelled to the States then Europe, i agree re the States however here in Europe they sre far more realistic, their boats are loaded and they have been much better cared for.
3 boats all OV's in 8 months were well priced for a buyer and fantastic boats and from this area. Each were simply buying newer models and here's the punch line in these instances the broker charged no commission he only made commission on the new boats!!!!!

Cheers
Old 26-06-2014, 15:02   #33

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.lawie View Post
Hello,

I'm looking at cruising cats, and as the title suggests, I'm interested in the difference in interior space and comfort when comparing the L380 Owners Version to the L410 standard version.

Perhaps this is a bad idea, but my thought is that a Lagoon 410 coming out of the Charter fleet is roughly the same cost as a privately owned Lagoon 380 OV.

When it comes to carrying capacity, and bridge deck clearance, I assume the 410 is a better blue water cruiser than the 380.

We ended up with a Lagoon 380 Owners Version.
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 15:13   #34

Boat: Lagoon 400

Congrats!
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 15:16   #35

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
We ended up with a Lagoon 380 Owners Version.
good choice! Any Details?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 08:36   #36

2001 Lagoon 380 owners version Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

We started out by looking in the Caribbean charter fleet for a lagoon 410, but I'm really happy we ended up with this boat in Maryland:

- Its in great shape, had an excellent survey and sea trail.
- It came wired 110V from the factory.
- Owners Version
- Its spent it's life in a less salty environment with minimal charters compared to a moorings or sunsail charter boat.
- Jeanneau used the standing rigging from the 410 on the 380 and I like that it is a little over-sized on the 380 considering there are only 3 stays.
- The orientation of the beds on the 380 is so much better.

It being located close to home is a "short-term" pro. I work a full time job and have a toddler and I can't imagine how much more difficult, stressful, and expensive it would be to load the family on an airplane to go pick up a boat in the Caribbean.

We spent a week aboard a 410 and I think it is a fine boat, but we just couldn't envision ourselves owning one. I think it's because the 380 and the 410 are essentially the same boat, and in that sense the 3 extra feet on a 410 seem more like a luxury than a necessity. The 380 is really well thought out, and the available space is efficiently utilized. On the other hand, the 410 seems to have wasted space because the 410 can afford to waste it and that just isn't our style.
Old 27-06-2014, 08:57   #37

Also might be good to mention that I worked Tommy Smith from Sail Away Catamarans. He is really knowledgeable, and was a pleasure to work with.
Old 24-10-2014, 08:01   #38

Quote:
Also might be good to mention that I worked Tommy Smith from Sail Away Catamarans. He is really knowledgeable, and was a pleasure to work with.

I'd like to leave an update regarding Tommy at Sail Away Catamarans.

He was extremely friendly during the sales process.

Then the sale was complete.

He never came down to the boat while we were at the marina right outside his office.

I've emailed him a few times, he hasn't replied.

During the sales process, we went out to diner with our wives, we took a road trip together to check out the boat, I've been to his house. He made me feel like we were friends.

But he has totally brushed me aside now that the sale is complete and it makes me feel like he was faking it the entire time.

It leaves a pretty bad after taste to what was an otherwise pleasant sales experience.
Old 24-10-2014, 13:01   #39

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:

But he has totally brushed me aside now that the sale is complete and it makes me feel like he was faking it the entire time.

It leaves a pretty bad after taste to what was an otherwise pleasant sales experience.
Sounds like Tommy is a very skilled salesman.

Unfortunately, that is how the sales business works. Salesmen like that make the worst friends. They are always looking at their angle, even when they are not working a sale.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 14:19   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Sounds like Tommy is a very skilled salesman.

Unfortunately, that is how the sales business works. Salesmen like that make the worst friends. They are always looking at their angle, even when they are not working a sale.

I feel your concerns but is it not unlike the surgeon that removes cancer from your body or the lawyer that defends you from an unjust accusation? Once the professional service is rendered and your need resolved to your satisfaction, it should not change the successful outcome. Sure, that kind of treatment lacks finesse and does not setup a return engagement but what remains is the good outcome from a significant purchase where lots of variables were managed well.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 18:34   #41

Yeah I agree.

Ultimately I depended on tommy for his expertise, which I am 100% happy with.
Old 06-01-2015, 19:27   #42

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

An outcome that both of you both can be proud of. I hope I can say that when I make my next purchase.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 19:34   #43

Quote:
Yeah I agree.

Ultimately I depended on tommy for his expertise, which I am 100% happy with.
Thanks for sharing your experience it was revelatory. Best wishes with you new boat. If we buy a cat it will be a Lagoon 380 OV!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:25   #44
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

He never came down to the boat while we were at the marina right outside his office.

During the sales process, we went out to diner with our wives, we took a road trip together to check out the boat, I've been to his house. He made me feel like we were friends.

Tommy left me with a bad after taste over ten years ago, nice to know he hasn't changed.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:50   #45

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:

That's funny, we had quite the opposite experience with Tommy (although he was at a different brokerage).

In our case, he cold-called me (from info at a boat show, I guess?) and I was stupid enough to say we were looking at boats, but didn't need or want his help. He then proceeded to rapidly rattle off dozens of boats for sale before I hung up. Never heard from him again.

Until we actually bought a boat many months later (a private sale not involving any brokerage). Then I got another cold call from him claiming I owed him commission because he led us to the boat (it apparently was one of the many dozens he rattled off in the previous call, even though it was a private listing and sale).

Of course I refused and hung up, but continued to get regular calls from him demanding money for almost a year. Some of them were threatening.

So we had absolutely no up-front support from Tommy, but loads of after-sales attention!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon