Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2021, 19:17   #1

Lagoon 380 fuel tank size increase

I am wondering how feasible it is to increase the size of the meager 52 gal fuel tank on the L380. Would this be a rather large and expensive job? Is there anywhere obvious to store a larger tank? I find the thought of carrying jugs of diesel strapped everywhere unappealing in order to live off grid.
Skulduggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:24   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Lagoon 380 fuel tank size increase

Lagoon offered choise between 100 liter and 130, so 130 goes where you have the standard tanks. Have sailed round the world with 100 liter tanks, no problem, just use the sails more often
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:54   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Django has got two good points, but it sounds like you want more than an additional 30 liters. Go hunting. Any space can contain a bladder or a custom made tank, with preference going to low down and central. A 1/2 inch hose and a small pump then lets you drain the auxillary tank into the main tank when space allows. With two hulls you could make two tanks for balance, carry them both full, and then empty them both at the same time to maintain that balance.

We're a monohull trawler, a different situation, but we do exactly that, from two 200 gallon tanks (which make us a bit bow up) into two 300 main tanks as soon as the main tanks get down to 100 gallons each.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:18   #4

Both great ideas. Thank you for your input...
Skulduggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:12   #5

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Do a search on CF and you will see my previous posts on the virtues of fuel tanks made of fibre-glass. It is crazy to use the common suitcase styled aluminum tanks when the glass ones do not corrode inside and out, do not sweat moisture inside, last almost forever, are incapable of transmitting a spark and therefore explosion with gasoline, and often give much more tankage for the area they use.

And get this - mine cost 60% of the cost of a cheap aluminum one.

I do not know why this nonsense of aluminum tanks continues. The ones at gas stations are guaranteed for 50 years or more! Find yourself a glass tank-maker for industry (who make tanks for all kinds of nasty things like acids etc), give him a mock up of the tank shape you want and you will be very pleased. When mine was built 40 years ago, because it utilized the space better by using some curved surfaces etc, it increased the tankage by 70%!

Cheers, RR.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:36   #6

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Can I add more suggestions to my previous response:
For very little more cash you can often install two or more tanks in maybe the same space, or maybe nearby each other, and connect them with hoses and valves. Use some careful thought about the connecting lines and valve access.

This often does four things - it makes it easier to install or remove, provides inherent baffling to prevent serious sloshing of fuel that would occur inside a big tank, isolates a tank if you have a bad fuel problem and can increase tankage.
Also, look ahead about what you would do if you have a fuel problem such as fuel not getting through. By having small and inexpensive valves along the fuel line (after the tank, after the filter, after a second filter if fitted, after the pump) you can often quickly solve problems. Some people use domestic natural gas/propane valves which are of higher quality than for mere diesel, and are very inexpensive even with adapters.

The use of an inexpensive vacuum gauge Tee'd in after your filter will also tell you when your expensive fuel filter/s needs changing. You are wasting money and resources if you simply replace according to the calendar.

Fuel problems often occur in an emergency situation! Yeah - I have been there!!

Cheers, RR.

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, lagoon, lagoon 380, size