Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 09:05   #31
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Lagoon 380 de-lamination

I have an owners version 2009 Lagoon 380 S2 and mine does not have any of those fixes, and to my eye they look really wrong.

I’m no expert, but I think someone really hurt your boat and did a crap job of repairing it, and those “repairs” are now failing. I hope you find someone who knows what they’re doing and can restore it.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 13:40   #32

There is another guy on YouTube who owns a 380 called Barefoot Travels.
He did a lot of work on his hull and documented most of it ....I like his work ethic and his ethics in general...though I never met him. I think he might be able to help you somehow.
Mediaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 07:55   #33

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free Sailor View Post
Hi please see new photos, just taken below the aft cabin floorboards, in the location of the fuel tank.
Also some photos forward under the hallway floor.
The fuel tank is located under the floor, inside the cabin where I discovered the soft area of the outside hull skin.
There is a cabinet, on the outer wall, and inside the cabinet I can see some torx screw heads, which I do not think is original to Lagoon 380.
Could it be, this boat had some structural damage, and subsequent repair in the past? Looking at the pictures, I get the feeling this GRP work is not "original" and as the boat came from Lagoon factory, but rather from a later repair of the boat.
Any clues, does anyone have input please?
I will try upload the pictures - hope it works!
I don't think you are looking at old repairs.

Some time before 2015 Lagoon switched from Philips heads to Torx heads. Our 2015 Lagoon 380 has Torx heads only.

The fibreglass tabbing looks original but more like a novice worker's first job. The layup in our boat is similar, though a better finish and in our case they did not paint that area before laminating. But I have seen 380s with glass over that grey paint before.

The vertical panels protruding from the bulkhead into the bilge should not be there.
I think Picture #3 shows that the temporary panel has the usual Lagoon glue spread over it, which tells me it was there when the bulkhead was glued in place.
To me these panels look like temporary jigs to position and align the cabin wall / bulkhead while the glue sets. I guess that was a friday job and the new team on Monday forgot to remove these panels.

I'd remove the screws, if the panels are not glued / laminaed in place I would consider them temporary jigs only.

Overall I'd say no previous damage but just shoddy work and some bad coincidence.

My vote goes to the travel lift incident - at least if this is the boat that was mentioned before (on the FB group maybe?) which had the skin pop-in while in the slings. Several tons compressing the skin with no structural support can easily crunch the hull.

How I would proceed (Disclaimer: I am an DIY owner, not a pro):
A good part of the delaminated area is readily accessible under the bed without taking anything apart. If this was my boat I'd cut away the inner skin in that area and see what the core looks like.

Unless it's wet or crumbled into pieces I'd jury-rig some vacuum resin infusion gear from the inside. For that I don't think you need to remove any furniture, but only cut a few holes into that back panels of the cabinet and maybe between bed and window. So its "just" the inner panel liner that needs to be replaced (i.e. just put a new Alpi skin on top of the old panels, covering the holes for the resin infusion ).
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 08:37   #34

And:
Permanently mark the position of the travel lift slings in a way that even the dumbest lift operator can't ignore.
Both at the top side (when in the water) and near the waterline (when on land).
Old 14-04-2022, 11:46   #35

Thank you, these are good observations, and I have also concluded this is original Lagoon lamination work. Tabbing seems to adhere well to the hull, and structurally everything feels fine, but cosmetically I may want to improve this, in due time.
Location of slings will be marked more clearly, as soon as possible, to avoid mistakes - good input, thank you.
Be Free Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 04:22   #36

Hi, I want to close the topic with sharing the findings and conclusions.
1. The hull does not have any de-lamination. The minimal flex/movement of the freeboard, when it is pressed hard by hand, allows the wood of the bed base to be rubbing against the trim piece supporting the bed. This movement is making a sqeaking sound (see picture).
2. The lamination of non-structural bulkheads under the floorboards, this work is original Lagoon factory, and not the result of later repairs or previous damage. I believe the strength of the lamination work is acceptable, and I do like this a lot better than previous boat where the bulkheads are just glued with Lagoon "goo".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2022-11-30 kl. 12.59.35.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	268137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2022-11-30 kl. 12.59.25.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	268138  

Name:	Skærmbillede 2022-11-30 kl. 12.59.42.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	268139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2022-11-30 kl. 13.00.02.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	268140  

Name:	Skærmbillede 2022-11-30 kl. 13.20.25.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	268141  
Old 30-11-2022, 04:43   #37
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Lagoon 380 de-lamination

The last picture looks like they are relying on a good structural bond between resin and paint? I hope my eyes are deceiving me.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 04:45   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The last picture looks like they are relying on a good structural bond between resin and paint?
I know

It is a french boat, and it is all about the passion and the

Old 05-12-2022, 17:19   #39

Quote:
1. The hull does not have any de-lamination. The minimal flex/movement of the freeboard, when it is pressed hard by hand, allows the wood of the bed base to be rubbing against the trim piece supporting the bed. This movement is making a sqeaking sound (see picture).
2. The lamination of non-structural bulkheads under the floorboards, this work is original Lagoon factory, and not the result of later repairs or previous damage. I believe the strength of the lamination work is acceptable, and I do like this a lot better than previous boat where the bulkheads are just glued with Lagoon "goo".
In the photos #2 and #4 it looks like the large flat "shelf" under the bed (where the water heater and batteries are resting) has separated from the hull at the outer side. The "goo" looks cracked.

Not an issue in itself as its only funiture - I guess it comes from some travel lift incident.
If you reglue / glass that section it may reduce overall flex and eliminate the noise.
Old 05-12-2022, 17:59   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
1. The hull does not have any de-lamination. The minimal flex/movement of the freeboard, when it is pressed hard by hand, allows the wood of the bed base to be rubbing against the trim piece supporting the bed.
I've only surveyed about 25 Lagoon cats but if you can deflect the topsides (think you call it freeboard) by hand pressure, no matter how little, there is something seriously wrong.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380