Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2020, 17:56   #31

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Lagoon 380 a blue water boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCPinto View Post
Are there many Lagoon 380 owners out there with feedback on its performance in blue water? Is the size sufficient for a comfortable (subjective, I know) two-person live aboard?
My wife and I have spent the last 2 years cruising in our Lagoon 380S2 2010 build. She’s an excellent ‘blue water boat’ but like all boats, she has her limitations and comprises. (Our previous yacht was a mono, so I believe I can provide an objective view point.)
She is very solid but we have damaged her very rough seas. The boat can clearly exceed our comfort level and performed well in continuous days of 35-45 knots. The highest we have seen is 56 knots; very unpleasant!
2 people is the perfect number for this boat. There is plenty of space whilst still being easily single handed. Our understanding from Lagoon is they have produced almost 1000 of these boats, which makes them the second most numerous production cat model. There is no doubt that new cat designs have benefited from evolution, but these are an affordable (subjective I know) cruising yacht.
Down wind sailing is fast, comfortable and simply magnificent. Pointing is poor. They really don’t like sailing closer than about 50 degrees to the wind. Many monohulls can achieve 30 degrees.
At anchor (where you spend 90% of your time cruising) they are great. They don’t roll in an anchorage and their 1.1m draft (3.6ft) allows you to get into shallow protected anchorages.
Diving and snorkelling off the boat is easy. As is the raising and lowering of the tender.
The galley is small but very functional. To effectively increase bench space we have a chopping board that fits snugly on top of the sinks. Having the galley with such good ventilation and visibility makes cooking more comfortable and social. It can even help stave off sea sickness.
As mentioned in this thread, how you set up your yacht will make a huge difference to your cruising comfort. Personally, I’d like more head and elbow room when moving in the hulls but that would require a lot more money and a bigger boat!
(We have a YouTube channel “Sailing www.lukimyu.com.au
I am happy to share the good, the bad and the ugly about our Lagoon 380.
Feel free to email me jamie@lukimyu.com.au
Enjoy your cruising!
Lukim Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 19:29   #32

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukim Yu View Post
Our understanding from Lagoon is they have produced almost 1000 of these boats, which makes them the second most numerous production cat model.
Someone had to ask, what is the first?
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:46   #33
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Someone had to ask, what is the first?

Gemini
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:42   #34

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Down wind sailing is fast, comfortable and simply magnificent. Pointing is poor. They really don’t like sailing closer than about 50 degrees to the wind. Many monohulls can achieve 30 degrees.
Well, but if you change to folding props, to good lowstretch sails, keep the bottoms clean and dont overload the 380, it can be faster to windward than many other condomarams. PS: TWS 6 m/s = 11 knots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4335.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	208125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2515.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	208126  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E4393.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	208127  
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 00:30   #35

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Well, but if you change to folding props, to good lowstretch sails, keep the bottoms clean and dont overload the 380, it can be faster to windward than many other condomarams. PS: TWS 6 m/s = 11 knots
Wow. The polar diagram (https://lagoon-inside.com/en/a-polar-situation/) says about 3.8 knots for TWS 12 knots and TWA 50. So thats like 68% faster going quite a bit higher!

Wow.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:48   #36

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
did you have to modify mast or track or standing rigging to accommodate larger and less stretchy mainsail ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:33   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I found the galley to be pretty adequate for our needs but A/ I'm a Brit and B/ I wash up and stow as I go and don't pile everything up to do after eating.

Basic Monohull practice..
I find the L38 galley quite adequate too and its position open to the cockpit is handy.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:36   #38

Quote:
My wife and I have spent the last 2 years cruising in our Lagoon 380S2 2010 build. She’s an excellent ‘blue water boat’ but like all boats, she has her limitations and comprises. (Our previous yacht was a mono, so I believe I can provide an objective view point.)

She is very solid but we have damaged her very rough seas. The boat can clearly exceed our comfort level and performed well in continuous days of 35-45 knots. The highest we have seen is 56 knots; very unpleasant!

2 people is the perfect number for this boat. There is plenty of space whilst still being easily single handed. Our understanding from Lagoon is they have produced almost 1000 of these boats, which makes them the second most numerous production cat model. There is no doubt that new cat designs have benefited from evolution, but these are an affordable (subjective I know) cruising yacht.

At anchor (where you spend 90% of your time cruising) they are great. They don’t roll in an anchorage and their 1.1m draft (3.6ft) allows you to get into shallow protected anchorages.

Diving and snorkelling off the boat is easy. As is the raising and lowering of the tender.

The galley is small but very functional. To effectively increase bench space we have a chopping board that fits snugly on top of the sinks. Having the galley with such good ventilation and visibility makes cooking more comfortable and social. It can even help stave off sea sickness.

As mentioned in this thread, how you set up your yacht will make a huge difference to your cruising comfort. Personally, I’d like more head and elbow room when moving in the hulls but that would require a lot more money and a bigger boat!

(We have a YouTube channel “Sailing www.lukimyu.com.au

I am happy to share the good, the bad and the ugly about our Lagoon 380.

Feel free to email me jamie@lukimyu.com.au

Enjoy your cruising!
There are monos which will achieve 30° AWA, like my Hobie 33, but not many of those are cruising boats.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:40   #39

Currently providing some technical/mechanical support via InReach to a friend crossing from Canaries to Barbados on a L38. I sailed with them on the NYC-Azores leg. They didnt like the Med, so now making an earlier than planned return crossing.

No fundamental issues with the boat thus far on either leg...currently they just have a failed starter motor (which they wont likely really need until approaching Barbados so we have plenty of time to resolve).
Old 08-02-2020, 03:40   #40

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
She is very solid but we have damaged her very rough seas.
Did I understand correctly that you have had some damage in very rough seas? What happened? What was the damage?
Old 08-02-2020, 04:49   #41

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavison View Post
Here's a video from the previously mentioned The Sailing Family. They're sailing a L380 in 20 foot seas with 50 knot gusts. She seems to be holding up quite well.

https://youtu.be/vzJu17GiN9E
I have to find out where they got their US flag. In 40+ knots mine stands out straight and snaps so loudly it’s deafening. Theirs still just flops around.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:00   #42

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Just a note to consider (not bashing) but in most of these related threads when good upwind performance figures are stated or shown with photos it is often in light air, often 10kn true or less.

That will generally mean a mostly calm sea state too, and that certainly makes a big difference to the numbers.

It's not really indicative of typical upwind sailing in the tropics (or even in the Med where short chop is often your enemy).

Let's please also see some performance statistics for, let's say, beating upwind in 20kn true and the typical associated sea state.

These conditions are quite normal and would be encountered pretty commonly cruising around the Caribbean for instance, eg: from the Virgin Islands towards St Martin, or Antigua, as well as many other inter island routes around the world.

These are also the conditions where it would generally be nicer to sail, since motoring into that is even more unpleasant. It does seem that many cruising cat owners motorsail in these situations as a compromise though.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, boat, lagoon, lagoon 380, water