Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 19:32   #16

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I think there are quite a few that are solid glass below. But no matter, would love to hear more details on the lagoon 37 there are a few well priced ones on the market, this was one of our " someday cats" i met an owner who cruised in there TPI next to our AMI for several years off and on. They gave me some interesting comparisons but loved their 37 TPI. They sure are a sweet looking cat! What kind if cruising speeds do you avg in 10-15?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 16:03   #17

Re: Lagoon 37 vs Leopard 38

From my experience with the cat, she sails at about half the wind speed. On a reach in about 21 knots of wind, she reached a speed of approximately 11 knots with main and genoa, without any reefing. I've heard they're capable of more, but that would require surfing downwind or more wind; however, over 20 knots it's recommended to reef the main. As mentioned before, I've sailed a 31 ft performance cat (more like a big beach cat) for about 15 years and I'm used to sailing in the teens and on the edge. The Lagoon makes sailing much more enjoyable and exciting on a different level, as I'm sure you'll agree. A cruising couple I know visited her recently and were amazed at the room and amenities. I'm sure there are other comparable cats available, but no doubt, it's a fine cat. I must admit that the escape hatches are closer to the water line that I'd like to see, but I haven't had any problems with them. So to summarize, they are as good as they look.
wchutchings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 16:44   #18

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI
Re: Lagoon 37 vs Leopard 38

I own a 1995 L37 TPI, hull #38. I just redid the bottom and had a survey(Insurance). I took it down to glass and then epoxy sealed them with Interlux 2000. There were no blisters or signs of blister repair and no moisture in the hulls. I believe I am the first owner to redo the bottom on this boat. Lagoon used vinylester in construction. She sails great, has easy access to her engines and tons of storage. The sole is Teak/holly veneered plywood(epoxy sealed), the bulkheads teak veneer and table is teak. They are shaft drive with Hurth transmissions so no saildrive bs to contend with. I've sailed her in 40kt winds twice and 30kt winds at least a dozen times and the boat is solid in those conditions. I've added a video of us sailing with the spinnaker up around 10kts. Our top speed that day was 14kts but we only hit that a couple times.

Rick s/v Mai Tai
Attached Files
CaptRick95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 37, leopard