Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2021, 09:47   #1

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built
La Vagabonde - I don't understand

Can anyone enlighten me as to why they are soooo far ahead in YT subs?
if you want flesh there are more sexy channels,
if you want info there are way more informative channels,
if you want videography there are much better channels.

Is it simply because they were one of the first?

And BTW how come I knew that they were getting a Rapido 18 mths ago? I thought it was common knowledge...
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 10:00   #2

Re: La Vagabonde - I don't understand

Because they have a high volume, the YouTube algorithm pushes their content out with the "IF you liked 'that' you might also like 'this". So people watch and then subscribe.

They have been around for a long time. People rarely Unsubscribe. I subscribe even though I stopped watching during the, what seemed like, 2 months of them taking delivery of the Outremar. I tried to get back into it, but by then they had a professional videographer and the entire vibe of the channel was different. Later I tried to catch up, but I'm just not interested in babies.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 10:09   #3

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

I agree. I really liked the “raw” la vagabonde videos when they were on the Beneteau. Maybe just me but seemed more “real life” then. Just my opinion.
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 10:27   #4

Fav channel by far is sailing GBU. They really put themselves out there.
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 11:23   #5

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Still yet to watch one.
Living our own life and adventures in the real world.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 11:29   #6

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I must be a nihilist. Been cruising 22 years, never made a movie, never posted anything, and never watched any of these "Pay me to go cruising" channels.
Old 22-06-2021, 11:44   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

I agree about la vag... the one that really disappointed me was Delos, when I found out they would cruise around the world and to ease their discomfort about discussions about being American, they would state they were Canadian. As a red blooded American vet, that was it for me. Unsubscribed and won’t watch another.

+1 for sailing GBU. Real and learning.
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 11:52   #8

Boat: Downeaster 38

I've sampled many of these as they keep my dreams alive until my 38' ketch project is done and I'm free to head out. That said, my overwhelming vote goes to an underwatched channel called "Free Range Sailing." The 30 year old boat isn't fancy but well loved and never stops moving. He's a very knowledgeable Australian licensed marine engineer so he's constantly repairing and rebuilding everything after years of working the commercial side of being a waterman and she's able to stretch their stores endlessly. That and they're sailing around the wilds of Australia foraging for meals and enjoying the wild beauty that is that land.
And there are no bikinis, very few marinas and always enjoying living off the land. Gently.
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 11:59   #9

I subscribe to many of the cruising youtube channels. I noticed that the way I watch them is in "binges": occasionally, I watch a whole bunch of videos, then I do not watch any for months.
These channels are occasionally informative, some more than others. Most of them fail at "keeping it fresh" and become very boring after a while.
As for La Vagabonde specifically, I think their success is because they are a reasonably cool couple, the kid is kind of cute, and their friends who join them sometimes are reasonably nice. Also (I am guessing) their slant on it, frequently having these "stream of consciousness" episodes talking about their inner feelings, must be appealing to some viewers.
What made me lose interest in them are three things:
1. it has become like a reality show, they act as "stars", they are too aware of their online success and "status". They apparently got a great deal from the manufacturer on their new boat because of their promotional appeal. They have become "influencers" rather than "normal" folks cruising full time. Nothing wrong with that, just not interesting to me.
2. It is not informative anymore, too centered on the two of them rather than on cruising. Again, they are two reasonably interesting people, but like all people, eventually very boring.
3. One aspect that for me keeps a channel "fresh" is the quality of the videography. Le Vagabonde's videos are good, but not the best, there are other cruising channels that are noticeably better in terms of quality of the videography, in my opinion. I am not sure that switching to professional videographers was a great move on their part. For me, what makes some of these channels quite amazing and a "must watch" is that in certain cases "normal" folks reveal themselves exceptional videographers.
Regardless, Le Vagabonde is a very successful channel not only for number of subscribers, but also for numbers of views, so their "recipe" must be appealing to many.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 12:00   #10

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon King View Post
I agree about la vag... the one that really disappointed me was Delos, when I found out they would cruise around the world and to ease their discomfort about discussions about being American, they would state they were Canadian.
canadian is american after all, and usa is very similar country to canada

also, really disappointed to see them go to the same island and the same mountain, but I hiked to the top, they drive in a car. Well, I went to a lot more islands and climbed a lot of mountains that did not even have trails to top. They whine about how some guy tried to steal their outboard when he is living in poverty trying to support 2 kids and they show up in million dollar boat and could easily use oars on their dinghy instead. He isn't wrong: they are.

la vagabonde is also very hypocritical as they claim to care about environment, but heavily rely on engines, air travel and exploitation of sea food. If everyone lived like them, the environment would be a lot worse off. I do catch fish but I have enough shame not to take a picture of the animal I killed as if it were a trophy.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 12:03   #11

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
I must be a nihilist. Been cruising 22 years, never made a movie, never posted anything, and never watched any of these "Pay me to go cruising" channels.
if you install an ad blocker you won't contribute any money to them at least, but mostly the videos are very boring, so I do not watch more than a minute or two
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 12:04   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Also i don't understand La Vagabonde what is now selling new outremer why. I like watch Adventures of an old Seadog
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 12:09   #13

The US is definetly in America, but you are way off its so similar to Canada. Canada is under tremendous lockdowns, they don't have Freedom of speech, they have a large wellfare state, etc. They are similar only in language and by proximity. I guess all Central America is the same to you?

As for fishing, if you *live on the water* you have no guilt to feel about fishing if you target sustainable species and for personal consumption. The real damage comes from industrial scale trawlers feeding the mouths of the land locked.
leandroflaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 12:14   #14

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to why they are soooo far ahead in YT subs?
if you want flesh there are more sexy channels,
if you want info there are way more informative channels,
if you want videography there are much better channels.

Is it simply because they were one of the first?

And BTW how come I knew that they were getting a Rapido 18 mths ago? I thought it was common knowledge...
Trying to stay on topic here ...

I think the YouTube algorithm has a LOT to do with it. Luck of publicity outside of YouTube as well, such as getting a feature on some AU news show.

But honestly, Elayna worked pretty hard for a couple years to get the word out about their channel. And she negotiated the deal with Outremer I believe. Once it hit critical mass it snowballed and they've been freerolling ever since.

Bundle that with the crowd they appeal to, the yuppies with plenty of cash seeking short term glamor experiences, idly sitting at computers, their channel certainly caters to a large slice of the population. I think the vast majority of their viewers are people who would charter a catamaran in the carib for a week, think they were experienced sailors afterward, and tell all their friends on social media how amazing their life is.

Most other liveaboard YouTubers aren't portraying the lifestyle that the Vagabondes are, or the lifestyle that most viewers want to see. Vagabonde's viewers aren't cruisers or liveaboards or even boaters generally speaking. The only people I've talked to that genuinely enjoy their channel are people who don't boat. And I ask them about their boating plans or joining me for a crossing from Florida to the Bahamas or a week in the Bahamas and they all say it's not for them. But the LOOOVVEEE the Vagabondes.

Their channel isn't about boating. It's about a perceived lifestyle and living vicariously through them.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 12:15   #15

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

The only people watching these dingleberries are couch potato's and dreamers......

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
I do catch fish but I have enough shame not to take a picture of the animal I killed as if it were a trophy.
The worst yet is the two yahoo's on "gone with the winns", hooked a fish in the Bahamas, recorded it, all the while not figuring out how to slow the boat or go in reverse to retrieve it. Dumba$$'s let 500 yards of monofilament out in into the sea when it came off the reel, yes they actually recorded it.........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote