Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2021, 02:56   #271

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: La Vagabonde - I don't understand

Yup, and the Wynn's fixing everything in Tonga including removing the fuel tanks which was a real PIA. And Nikki was up the mast repairing the wind instrument.
Old 19-07-2021, 12:55   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhantler View Post
You would have to be a plonker right? Watch the latest vid of Wynn’s, tough passage to my country NZ. Probably a passage that would have you crying for mummy
they are awsome, professional Vloggers and do the best job in terms of technical entertainment out of any sailing channel.
Now channels like doodles is all tits and arse, it gets the views and mine included although it’s getting boring and hasn’t got any substance.
Agreed although I think it’s funny how some folks seem to think that some of these channels “owe” them something in terms of sailing frequency or documented wave height or something. Doodles might be more about ass than education but so what? There was no agreement by them and me to do anything in particular. Anyone who complains about them probably just jelly or doesn’t understand how the internet works. I like to look at girls in bikinis so for me it seems a bit odd to criticize them, adults, having more fun than me, and getting views doing it. How is that “wrong”?
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 13:37   #273

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojolimited View Post
We aim to please. Especially when I'm correct. I don't expect a Canadian to get my point. No problems though.
What was that about obnoxious jerks again?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 13:42   #274

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV WELDER View Post
Agreed although I think it’s funny how some folks seem to think that some of these channels “owe” them something in terms of sailing frequency or documented wave height or something. Doodles might be more about ass than education but so what? There was no agreement by them and me to do anything in particular. Anyone who complains about them probably just jelly or doesn’t understand how the internet works. I like to look at girls in bikinis so for me it seems a bit odd to criticize them, adults, having more fun than me, and getting views doing it. How is that “wrong”?
and anyway, what's wrong with tits and arse? Sometimes its what I'm in the mood for ....
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 09:17   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Youtube sailing dreamers are attracted to fake sailing channels. The sailing channels with the lowest subs tend to be the ones who give good information.

"Gone with the Wynns" is the poster child of fake sailing. Perfect weather every day, nothing breaks, every evening ends with a perfect sundower.
Sounds like you're just upset they're doing it right and you're not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhantler View Post
You would have to be a plonker right? Watch the latest vid of Wynn’s, tough passage to my country NZ. Probably a passage that would have you crying for mummy
they are awsome, professional Vloggers and do the best job in terms of technical entertainment out of any sailing channel.
Now channels like doodles is all tits and arse, it gets the views and mine included although it’s getting boring and hasn’t got any substance.
Agreed on Doodles, they're not a sailing channel anymore so I really don't watch them that much. I will say that Taylor (Taylor's Travel's) just joined Delos for a bit. Hoping it becomes a bit more entertaining again.
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 10:00   #276

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Youtube sailing dreamers are attracted to fake sailing channels. The sailing channels with the lowest subs tend to be the ones who give good information.

"Gone with the Wynns" is the poster child of fake sailing. Perfect weather every day, nothing breaks, every evening ends with a perfect sundower.
Wow, I doubt your take on the Wynns could be less accurate.

You may be guilty of judging them by their attire and looks because they have never sugar coated sailing life. Jason is seasick every time the sea state is above 3 feet haha. Their boat gear is always breaking.

In their most recent video on passage to New Zealand the life raft locker failed in the floor of the cockpit causing their raft to be lost in the middle of the night and water to be spraying up into the cockpit while days from land. They handled it.

Im not going to pretend to know your experience however I will venture a guess that they have more miles and seatime than 99% of the the people on this board.

So because they dont fit the “dirty sailor” mold so they must be frauds… yeah right
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 18:19   #277

Boat: CL14 #1179

The only channel I openly avoid like the plague is sailing Zatara. How anyone could watch or support this family financially is beyond me. I watched up until the Fakarava episode where the Dufour crashed on the reef. Hearing them openly mock the family commenting how 'somebodies dreams just went to crap' made my skin crawl. That pompous walk the father did on the shore with his chest puffed out with him and his family laughing at the mistakes that were made, was enough for me. Shallow, brash, ignorant human beings.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 11:21   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
The only channel I openly avoid like the plague is sailing Zatara. How anyone could watch or support this family financially is beyond me. I watched up until the Fakarava episode where the Dufour crashed on the reef. Hearing them openly mock the family commenting how 'somebody's dreams just went to crap' made my skin crawl. That pompous walk the father did on the shore with his chest puffed out with him and his family laughing at the mistakes that were made, was enough for me. Shallow, brash, ignorant human beings.
Interesting, I didn't have that take when I saw that episode "somebody's dreams went to crap" seems like a fairly accurate statement of reality. Got to figure the owners of the wreck are adults so one would assume no need to sugarcoat reality.

What I found valuable in that video was the dad's suggestions on what he would've done with a fouled prop to avoid the same fate. All in all, it was pretty neutral and informative.

That said if you want to boycott the channel for something they've said there are certainly lots of other videos where dad says stupid sh*t (as most of us do from time to time), so to pick this episode as your last straw is surprising.
Macrophylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 15:34   #279

All this, that & the other.

Every-time I watch this family sailing video;
I gasp, cringe & watch it to the end.
1936 VOYAGE AROUND CAPE HORN BY SCHOONER WANDERBIRD

Some channels not mentioned...
Sailing Jibsea;
https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingJibsea/videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingEmeraldSteel

Sailing Zephyr; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCth...ngAR78w/videos
Sailing Catalpa;
https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingCatalpa/videos
Breaking Waves Sailing;
https://www.youtube.com/c/BreakingWavesSailing/videos
Geordie, Witch & the Wench;
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheGeordie...heWench/videos
Sailing Sophisticated Lady;
https://www.youtube.com/results?http...+lady+youtube+
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 13:13   #280

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
The only channel I openly avoid like the plague is sailing Zatara. How anyone could watch or support this family financially is beyond me. I watched up until the Fakarava episode where the Dufour crashed on the reef. Hearing them openly mock the family commenting how 'somebodies dreams just went to crap' made my skin crawl. That pompous walk the father did on the shore with his chest puffed out with him and his family laughing at the mistakes that were made, was enough for me. Shallow, brash, ignorant human beings.
Zatara isn't that bad, redneck sailing, straight and honest conservative opinions and not everyone's darling, sure. But a tough nice family, not pretending or fishing for compliments.
Old 26-08-2021, 14:54   #281

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Did La Vagabonde sell ?
Old 27-08-2021, 07:31   #282

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Jeepers; that 9 minute film of Wanderbird was crazy...those kids were in shorts, on deck, at one point while rounding Cape Horn!! And watching the kids scramble about the rigging....altho the skipper didnt look to happy at the helm while hammering thru the seas round the Cape...thnks...never saw that before...makes me feel like a wimp!!
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 10:51   #283

Boat: Leopard 45

I agree that the early blogs when they had their 43' mono hull was more interesting and less staged. It was a more sincere and natural feel than when they moved onto their million dollar Outremer. Then the baby took away much of the appeal to me. I think they get the ratings they do from the fact they were one of the early ones do such a blog and developed an early fan base.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 05:57   #284

Quote:
I don't mind them being a bit direct about that, but they are insensitive and a bit obtuse. They are the very stereo typical Americans though (saying that as an American/Brit) and they don't seem to really show any curiosity or willingness to learn about the cultures they visit or experience them, more like they are on some sort of zoo trip where they tread heavily and don't gather depth. I think their family dynamic is charming and the father is pretty straightforward in his narration which I appreciate but I kind of cringed when he was barking at the Australian and NZ coast guard/police. I understand the frustration of the evolving covid policies and such but I've read elsewhere they have rubbed other cruisers and marinas the wrong way. Again I don't think they are horrible people, but they aren't the group I would watch before others.

as for the earlier comment on "Gone with the Wynns" it sounds a bit curmudgeonly. They don't sugar coat or gloss over stuff but they also don't act like a tramp steamer. I don't want to watch Don and Debbie Downer for a half hour. They just seem like they are always seeing the bright side and evoking happiness and positivity, and for my part I think its genuine, they seem like happy people. They certainly have voiced frustration and shown the rough and tumble side of cruising but they do so with a bright outlook on life I find somewhat endearing and infectious. I don't know how they afford their boat and such as they seem so young and started with a tiny house and camper but they do a lot of fun videos.

In the end, I have a lot of jealousy for these folks that have carved out a way to fund their lifestyles through sail vlogging but I dont begrudge them for it, its their hustle and they are doing what brings them joy, purpose and income. Good on them. Having done some travel videos its hard and takes a lot of time and they have had to invest in a lot of gear (or reinvested after the ocean is done with it) I have supported delos and nahoa in the past.

I bet everyone on here with some Nautical miles on them has a ton of stories that deserve to be told and shared but only a few actually make it happen. If you don't like the stories these sail channels are telling, tune to a different one, or don't watch..or even better go out and make your own stories.
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 06:34   #285

How about Cap Rick and his latest gofundme deal....I think for a new engine. Geez.

I dunno....I don't mind helping people that are genuinely in need, but some of these sailors are ridiculous..... AND, what's crazy is people donate the $$$$$!!!!!

Beg and you shall receive, INCLUDING funds for a NEW boat.

I still shake my head over this phenomena.