Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 13:34   #1

Boat: Simpson 13,7
La Rochelle Boat Show 2010 and French Brokers

So the search continues...

I have a couple of questions for the forumers..

We are looking for a live-aboard cat range 42-46 with aprox price 200000 euros..so its going to be some years old.

Is there any point going to La Rochelle for the boatshow? Are there going to be only new cats there?

One of the missions visiting would also be to get in touch with some serious and good brokers down there - if anybody have some ideas or know someone it would be much appreciated.
Shankly71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
There are only new cats at the boat show, just search in magazines and the internet.
||A very good sailing cat that you might find in that Price range is the St Francis 43 or 44.

Good luck
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 17:50   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38 feet - YANN I
You can contact Star Voyage , a charter company in the French West Indies. Their head office is in Paris.
Ask for M. Bouffard.
They have 2 Fountaine Pajot BAHIA 46 at a very decent price.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 18:41   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Don't go to the shows.

You will only see the latest and greatest and want it too badly.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:24   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
For the money you may be better off flying to St. Maarten or the BVI's. If you want a french broker, contact Herve Harel in Oyster Pond, St. Marten. If your purchasing used, the best prices will probably be in the caribbean.

I would second the suggestion of looking at Bahia's. They are great boats for the money.
Old 15-09-2010, 15:49   #6

The La Rochelle Show only has new boats and those models aren't necessarily available on the used market right now. If you are an American with dollars then don't go to Europe to buy. The best bargains are boats priced in dollars in the Caribbean...the previous posts on this subject have some good advice...I'd contact the brokers in the Caribbean and plan a trip there.
BOATaHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 16:59   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
I think a new Lagoon 400 is around 250, as is a new Lipari 41, try to get a deal and you may just as well end up with a new boat.

The space in these ones beats the space in an older, bigger boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 17:07   #8

Sorry, but you can't touch a new Lagoon 400 or Lipari for anywhere near the budget Shankly71 mentioned ...The FP dealers all list the boats on websites at a crazy-low base price that doesn't include ANYTHING ....it's ridiculous what they do....and then they say incredulously "Oh, you want sails with that boat?!...add $30,000".... the Lagoons are also way out of the price range that Shankly71 mentioned...it'll cost at least $100-200k over the 200,000 Euro budget to get even a basic new Lipari or Lagoon 400
BOATaHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 06:43   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
OK, I see.

How about a s/h privilege 37?

Well built and nice inside.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 15:54   #10

I did go to the boatshow. Mostly to learn about cats, see the different solutions on everything etc.. our search is narrowed down to Belize 43 or a nautitech 435.

The boatshow was great. Cats from Edel, FP, Lagoon, Dean, Nautitech was present. And. What a great city!

I have also been aware (after talking to Lucky) of some of the challenges of a year-round liveaboard in Norway. Specially with the watersystem and the holdingtanks. In Norway you run a pretty high risk of a long and cold winter, and with two small children (and a wife!) you need to have shower and toilet... worst case we have to live on shore for about three months or so, but we hope to avoid that.

Anybody who knows how to solve this problem?
Old 23-09-2010, 03:34   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
You could try a heating system in each hull. And both heaters feed the saloon. It gets cold in the saloon on a multi becasue the cold air is all around.

Also, big fat generator, so that you always have enough power for extras such as blow heaters, hot water, incessant use of electric toilets, kettles etc.

If you have enough comforts so that you don't have to leave the boat for basics such as showers , toilets, cooking etc, then winter living can be ok.

Cheers

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garold View Post
You could try a heating system in each hull. And both heaters feed the saloon. It gets cold in the saloon on a multi becasue the cold air is all around.

Also, big fat generator, so that you always have enough power for extras such as blow heaters, hot water, incessant use of electric toilets, kettles etc.

If you have enough comforts so that you don't have to leave the boat for basics such as showers , toilets, cooking etc, then winter living can be ok.

Cheers

Garold

Thanks for your reply Garold!

Yeah, I think a two way heating system is the answer, for heating the boat. The real problem is that the freshwatertank (aluminium) is outside in front and the pipes to toilets etc goes inside the hull.

One solution could be to open up and isolate the pipes with "something" and try to cover the alu tank outside with "something"
Old 23-09-2010, 14:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Don't go to the shows.

You will only see the latest and greatest and want it too badly.

Should have listened to you!

Every boat seems so used, old and boring now!
Old 23-09-2010, 15:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankly71 View Post
Should have listened to you!

Every boat seems so used, old and boring now!
I know what you mean, I was at the Southampton show earlier this month. Even so, go for boats that are a few years old and you can still get a good looking boat. Remember that a lot of people only use the boat from time to time, not everybody uses it every day so a boat that's five years old, if it get used every weekend without fail will have 5 * 52 * 2 = 520 days of use. That's only a year and a half of wear and tear and most will get used less than that.

Look at these - 2007 to 2009. Look at the condition of them and look at the prices and inventories. I have the Jeanneau price list from the show and a Sun Odeyssey 36i has a base price of £95,000 and a "sail away" price after they've added what you really need of £115,000. The ApolloDuck list I attached at the start of this paragraph has a 2007 36i listed for £90,000 so ther is £25,000 saved and, if the pictures are genuine, the boat is still in very, very good condition.

Obviously if you pick a 30 year old boat, a lot of work will need doing and it will look shabby, but any decent/sound boat is better than no boat.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 18:28   #15

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I know what you mean, I was at the Southampton show earlier this month. Even so, go for boats that are a few years old and you can still get a good looking boat. Remember that a lot of people only use the boat from time to time, not everybody uses it every day so a boat that's five years old, if it get used every weekend without fail will have 5 * 52 * 2 = 520 days of use. That's only a year and a half of wear and tear and most will get used less than that.

Tell me about it.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show