Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2017, 09:55   #1

Boat: voyage Mayotte 50 ft cat
Jordan Series Drouge Catamaran specifications

I own a 49 ft. Voyage catamaran for which I am constructing a Jordan Series Drogue. The specifications that I am applying are as follows: Displacement not exceeding 27 000 ibs, number of drogues I've made to use is 155. I have sufficient 5/8 inch / 16 mm rope which Id like to utilize. The rope is double braided polyester. ( Not Dyneema / super braid) Am I unwise to use the 5/8 rope instead of a 3/4 rope? Id appreciate hearing from those of you who have also made your JSD for your cats and anyone else who is knowledgeable on the subject. Id also appreciate any other structural criticism regarding my specs and number of drogues. My query regarding the ropes is more due to a lack of experience on rope types and rope specifications, notwithstanding that the web supplies much info. As I reside in South Africa, I've never actually seen a JSD so am constructing it purely on information and specs obtained from various sources. Thank you.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 23:48   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Jordan Series Drouge Catamaran specifications

Have you studied on things much here --> Victor Shane's Drag Device Data Base | Using Parachutes, Sea Anchors and Drogues to Cope with Heavy Weather – Over 130 Documented Case Histories
It would be my 1st choice for info on this.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 05:56   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Our boat is a Chris White Voyager 48 cruising at 18000lbs(?). The drogue that came with the boat has 180 cones on 3/4 line. It is probably commercially made. It's interesting to me that the bridle is 7/8 line. I haven't used the drogue yet, but I'd consider 5/8 line for the bridle.

And +1 on Victor Shane's drag device database.

Cheers,
Old 30-05-2017, 06:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The BIG lesson from actual series drogue use/experience is that the historical typical spec for the cone cloth/construction was way too light. They shred in use and tear on recovery.

Commercial people were making them from 1.5oz and 2.2 oz nylon (heavy spinnaker cloth). That has proven way too light - unless you view it as a 'one or two time use' product. 6oz Dacron is more like an acceptable minimum. And reinforce the edges - hem or tape - yes its more sewing, sorry, you need to do it.

From what I have seen, the rodes rarely fail. 5/8" sounds on the small size for your boat to me, but I suspect it is ok for anything but the true worst case scenario. Just make sure you have a decent fair-lead off the boat to eliminate/minimize chafe.

Number of cones . . . Jordan's recommendations work pretty well for mono's but idk whether cats would be significantly different or not. I would error toward more cones if there is a question.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:45   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Our cat is 46' and 18,000 lbs as close as I can figure. Our drogue is 150 cones and in sustained winds in the mid to high forties with gusts into the low fifties it slowed the boat to 3-4 knots. Reading through the DDDB, it seems that most boats are slowed to 2-3 knots when using a JSD so it may be that we would benefit from a few more cones. Your boat, being larger and heavier, would certainly benefit from more.
We use 3/4" polyester double braid for the first half of the drogue and 5/8" for the second half. If starting from scratch I would probably switch to dyneema, as a drogue this size is very bulky and heavy, particularly when wet.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran