Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2020, 05:17   #1

Jimmy Cornell goes Electric, with a Cat

Very interesting news from Jimmy Cornell:

His next boat is an Outremer 45 and it will be all electric, ZERO FOSSIL FUELS
Cool!

I first wondered why he is not going for the Aluminum version of the O45 (the Allures 47.9) but meanwhile his choice makes perfectly sense to me.

Zero fossil fuels means you need maximum efficiency. This is the reason for a cat. And a light carbon design is certainly much more efficient (better hull resistance curve) than an aluminum design.
I guess he will combine this with the ultimate hydrogeneration feature from Oceanvolt, featuring adjustable pitch and generating enormous amounts of energy while sailing. Maximum solar power is certainly a must have.
Accidentally I have the specific shaft power need of the extended Outremer 45 at hand - it is just 3 kW total shaft power (2x1.5) for a speed of 5 kts: Very good choice, Mr Cornell!
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:54   #2

Boat: between boats
Re: Jimmy Cornell goes Electric, with a Cat

yeah cos theres no emissions expelled in building the boat is there???

sorry but this is just yet more hypocritical virtue signalling

the least emissions path by far would be to NOT BUILD ANOTHER NEW BOAT and make do with an existing one.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:10   #3

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post

the least emissions path by far would be to NOT BUILD ANOTHER NEW BOAT and make do with an existing one.
Well said.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:42   #4

The dude is 80 years old and is just trying to enjoy what time he has left on this planet. He's seen and done more than 99.9% of the people on this planet could ever hope to. He gets a pass in my book.

I hope to get a classic old man rant of him yelling at us one day for anchoring too close to his new million dollar electric catamaran in the Bahamas. I'll then go over with my Swedish bikini clad wife in the dinghy to calm him down offer him a drink and see if he'll tell us any stories. I won't be telling him I think he's destroying the planet by building an all electric boat, raising awareness, and keeping people employed...but that's how we roll.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:32   #5

Quote:
yeah cos theres no emissions expelled in building the boat is there???.
This is about zero diesel on board.
If you like talk about emissions including the masters fart - it’s up to you.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:52   #6

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
This is about zero diesel on board.
If you like talk about emissions including the masters fart - it’s up to you.
No this is him trying to make a statement but not really understanding the cycle of fossil fuels to make his NEW boat then going electric on his cat to make a point,
The amount of fossil fuel used to build is boat will be staggering and , the way forward is to be more savy in our use of resources ,recycle , reuse, keep hold of , there is no need to keep upgrading to new boat, and new cars every three years capitalism and Im better than my neighbours syndrome
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:20   #7

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
No this is him trying to make a statement but not really understanding the cycle of fossil fuels to make his NEW boat then going electric on his cat to make a point,
The amount of fossil fuel used to build is boat will be staggering and , the way forward is to be more savy in our use of resources ,recycle , reuse, keep hold of , there is no need to keep upgrading to new boat, and new cars every three years capitalism and Im better than my neighbours syndrome
Very unrealistic thinking here. It’s as if you are proposing not making anything new. Man started polluting the earth the moment he discovered fire. I’m all for ecology but let’s try and keep it real.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:21   #8
Marine Service Provider

No one will buy a ZERO FOSSIL FUELS yacht if they are smart. Like the Silent 55, any practical electric yacht will need to be equipped with a backup propulsion system in order to sell to the knowledgeable mariner. They will need to have a diesel, LPG or LNG backup generators to charge batteries at night or in bad weather, as well as to take over directly powering the main electric motors in a pinch.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
there is no need to keep upgrading to new boat, and new cars every three years capitalism and Im better than my neighbours syndrome
I fully agree with you!
Still there will always a constant need for replacing really old, scrappy things (e.g. this cat will be a great 2nd hand yacht in 10 yrs time). This is also because you can't change the entire population within a day.
We need famous people to demonstrate to the public what is possible and how you can re-think things - and that is what happens here.
If we start today to build products which use less fossil fuel over the lifetime or none at all (and as far as possible certainly less resources in production), then this means we improve the fleet over time.
With cars this this is much more important than with boats because cars consume much, much more fuel over the lifetime. And yes, with boats one should consider if the little diesel consumed over the lifetime is worth the manufacturing effort. (with cars it is a very clear case)
Old 10-02-2020, 09:35   #10

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Another great publicity for Outremer, first Vagabond and now Cornell. However they got involved in this project it's great advertising.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:59   #11
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

Quote:

No, not well said at all. We all need to do what we can to reduce our carbon footprints, no? Yes! Unless of course you one of these people who thinks it's all a big hoax to create a better world for nothing.

Sorry, but everything we build and do has a carbon footprint. No one is stupid enough to think that we can eliminate our carbon footprint completely. Emissions from production of his boat STOP completely upon completion and that boat will never emit more. If you can't see the benefit of that, you're just not thinking.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:10   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

Another virtue signalling celebrity.

If you are looking for admirable, low impact cruisers it's hard to beat Lynn and Larry Pardy. Self built wooden boats without any engines.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:15   #13

Boat: 2004 Carolina Skiff 2180; Hobie 16, Laser, Club 420

🥰 love it!
btexpres85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:31   #14

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
No one will buy a ZERO FOSSIL FUELS yacht if they are smart. Like the Silent 55, any practical electric yacht will need to be equipped with a backup propulsion system in order to sell to the knowledgeable mariner. They will need to have a diesel, LPG or LNG backup generators to charge batteries at night or in bad weather, as well as to take over directly powering the main electric motors in a pinch.

Sorry to disagree here. With a sufficiently large batt bank a boat can use some of it for propulsion and still have enough energy to run the onboard for a few days.

For longer stretches of bad weather (overcast, yet no wind) one would like to have a fuel cell, I'd have to admit
Yet, the technology for the latter is evolving rapidly, too.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:35   #15

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
Another great publicity for Outremer, first Vagabond and now Cornell. However they got involved in this project it's great advertising.
That was my first thought, too

Nevertheless, good on him to spend (my) money (yes, I have his atlas in my book store) on a new boat that sets an example for generations to come! And that's the point, IMHO.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, grass