Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 20:12   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
Its that time of year, thinking about haul out locations.

Just planning ahead so we are looking to find any haul out locations that aren't on the list below.

We have a 25’ beam so we are always looking for options on the east coast. Last year we were hauled out at this one that is not on the list.

St Augustine Marine Center, FL
https://mywindward.com/staugustine-marine/
They have a lift and a hydraulic trailer so they can handle beamy cats
You can do most DIY projects but not bottom jobs
** the tide rips through here so they only haul large cats at slack high tide.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...6&d=1377171686
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 03:48   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Its that time of year, thinking about haul out locations.

Can you narrow down to a smaller range of interest?
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 04:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
Can you narrow down to a smaller range of interest?
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...3&d=1377091366

This is the list for the US east coast. Honestly I can do anywhere on the East Coast that can haul a 25ft beam. But this is more about updating the list than my particular needs.
Old 20-04-2020, 05:37   #4

Are you/can you manage the list?

If so, I can add some.

https://www.zimmermanmarine.com/location/2/cardinal-va

Zimmerman has a trailer, but their ramp restricts to 23 feet. Had planned to increase last winter, so check.

Chesapeake Yachts, Chesapeake VA 757-487-9100 had a travelift/slipway of maybe 24' 8"

Cape Charles Yacht Center Chesapeake Bay Marina & Boatyard in Cape Charles, Virginia has a travelift of about 25 feet

Bluewater Yachts, Hampton VA https://bluewateryachtsales.com/serv...rvice-repairs/ used to have a 24'4" travelift, and I assume still does
Old 20-04-2020, 06:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
Are you/can you manage the list?

If so, I can add some.

https://www.zimmermanmarine.com/location/2/cardinal-va

Zimmerman has a trailer, but their ramp restricts to 23 feet. Had planned to increase last winter, so check.

Chesapeake Yachts, Chesapeake VA 757-487-9100 had a travelift/slipway of maybe 24' 8"

Cape Charles Yacht Center Chesapeake Bay Marina & Boatyard in Cape Charles, Virginia has a travelift of about 25 feet

Bluewater Yachts, Hampton VA https://bluewateryachtsales.com/serv...rvice-repairs/ used to have a 24'4" travelift, and I assume still does

I will reach out to the original creator of the list but if he is no longer active I will update it myself.
Old 20-04-2020, 08:49   #6

Boat: Lagoon, 52

Thanks for the list. In the Caribbean, you're missing Clarkes Court Marina. They have a big travel lift, and they lift our Lagoon 52 catamaran with ease- Our beam is 28'8".
LagunaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 13:31   #7

Virginia Boat and Yacht Service, Portsmouth VA 757-673-7167
Used to haul previous cat (20'beam left little to spare) there when under previous management.

Severn Yacht Center, Mobjack Bay VA, https://severnyc.com
Travelift 23 or 24 feet

Cobbs Marina, Norfolk VA https://cobbsmarina.com Travelift in excess of 20 feet, I think
Old 20-04-2020, 14:35   #8

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Port Canaveral Marine can haul out to 29'10" in beam and have storage.

Will you be updating the list in the linked location? I'd love to get an updated copy!
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 08:19   #9

I have reached out to Cotemar to see how he wants to proceed with updates. It was his list originally so we will see what his preference is.
Old 22-04-2020, 12:16   #10

This would be a noble effort. Thanks!

Perhaps people can assist by volunteering information on boatyards near them. I've furnished some info on the facilities I know of near me. If you want help, I can confirm details.

Regarding some already on the list:

Jarratt Bay near Beaufort NC. I believe their big travelift (they have two) can handle up to 30 feet, not 25 feet as is on the list

GunBoats, Wanchese NC, is I think no longer there. I see a Bayliss Boatworks, and it looks like their travelift might be 30 feet, so may be the old GB yard.
Old 24-04-2020, 07:10   #11

Newbie here, as it pertains to haul out and hurricane season storage.

Referencing: https://spiceislandmarine.com/rates/

For round numbers lets use a 50 ft cat. Am I reading this right?

Haul out/launch = 50ft x $7 = $350 (does this double for launch?)
Long term storage 6 months = 50ft x .65/ft x 30days x 6mos = $5850

What additional items if we live aboard 6 mos and on the hard the other 6?
I understand there would be annual items. Anyone quickly break these down for me?

Thank you in advance.
SillyCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 07:21   #12

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.

Hello C's

It is not clear from your question if you mean to live aboard 6 months or 12. I don't think you mean 12 but in case you do very few yards will let you live on the boat while hauled. If you look further at Spice Island's rate sheet you will see they have a 5$/person/day live aboard fee and a maximum live aboard stay of 5 days.

Other items include:
  • ongoing maintenance - a general rule of thumb is 10% of the boat value per year
  • Insurance - this is getting a lot more expensive depending on where the boat is during hurricane season. A lot of insureres don't care if it is in or out of the water, just how far north or south it is.
  • Provisioning cost while aboard
  • Fuel - can be a little or a lot depending on your cruising style. If you want to go where you want when you want then you will be forced to burn fuel sometimes.

There is a variety of other stuff that can add up as well depending on what you do. Airfare, depending on where you are when not on the boat. Rental cars - we tend to get a car for a week when going back to the boat to run around provisioning etc. Entertainment.
Old 26-04-2020, 17:18   #13

ah that could use a little clarity. I keep swinging back to the idea of living 6 mos in the mountains and 6 mos on a live aboard cat. Trying to gauge costs of hard storage for 6 months while we are in the mountains. We would not live aboard on the hard other than maybe a few days of prep prior to launch.

With regard to the storage only, do these facilities charge for storage blocks or is this included with the storage fee? Do they typically charge for haul out and then launch as two separate line items?... or is it understood, if you need one you likely need the other and it is one charge?

Insurance is a good side note topic and likely answered elsewhere but I'll ask here anyway if there is a quick response someone can shoot. How low (lat) do most insurance companies like you to go in the Caribbean? Is Grenada low enough for an owner/operator policy? Also, may be too broad of an ask here as well. Maybe a better question is... who absolutely loves and trusts their insurance agent? ... and please share who that is so I can reach out and learn a bit directly.

Thank you again.

- Coy
SillyCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 17:34   #14

Policies vary by yard but often haul out and launch are separate line items. Blocking is usually included in haul out but if your blocks need reset, due to bottom painting for example, that will be an extra charge.

Insurance requirements have seen a massive change in the last 12 months. The only way to get a real answer is to get a quotation. In general I believe you can still get a policy where Grenada is acceptable for hurricane season.

Tags
haul out