Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 11:34   #16

Re: ISO Cat for Two. One Off's, Non Production, Little Known?

No, never sailed one, but I've heard good things about them. Seems like an interesting boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:55   #17

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

My two cents. It is important to get a boat designed for what you are going to do with it, not what you think you are going to do with it. SMJ has a nice PDQ 36 that would be great for the Bahamas or Caribbean but would not be my first choice for a circumnavigation. In fact a shoal draft boat ideal for the tropics is often not the best choice for long blue water passages. There is also the issue of getting a condomaran verses more of a performance boat, both have advantages depending on what you want.

My advice is to refine your cruising plans more to help narrow your boat selection process.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 20:36   #18

Boat: PDQ Capella 36
ISO Cat for Two. One Off's, Non Production, Little Known?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalName View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been keeping an eye on the PDQ36. I can't seem to find info on headroom though. Maybe I ican find an owner to ask.
:

I'm an owner and 6'1. It's fine. Occasionally I can brush my head on the ceiling if I'm feeling bouncy. I've just gotten acclimated with the one or two spots I may have to slouch a bit.

I second the view that you can trade up if you want to start making crossings.

Catalac, MaineCat come to mind.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 21:00   #19

Boat: Desk & Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
My two cents. It is important to get a boat designed for what you are going to do with it, not what you think you are going to do with it. SMJ has a nice PDQ 36 that would be great for the Bahamas or Caribbean but would not be my first choice for a circumnavigation. In fact a shoal draft boat ideal for the tropics is often not the best choice for long blue water passages. There is also the issue of getting a condomaran verses more of a performance boat, both have advantages depending on what you want.

My advice is to refine your cruising plans more to help narrow your boat selection process.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Agreed Tom. This points back to my rule number 1.

i'm currently trying to just do Carib and Mexico; but am afraid the bug will bite and i'll end up in the canal moving west. thats the entire reason I created this thread. Any fool can pick a sub $200k cat and sail the Carib. I'm against the odds here trying to find a boat I plan to only do the Carib in, but is capable of getting more accomplished.

You say the PDQ 36 would not be your first choice for a circumnavigation. Would it be a choice at all? In my limited research I have not found anyone doing so in a PDQ. Then again before the risk taken by the Bumfuzzle's no one did it in a Wildcat either.

F-me. Why can't life be backwards? Born with knowledge, wisdom and money. Live like crazy, then get poor and stupid...
NormalName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 21:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
I'm an owner and 6'1. It's fine. Occasionally I can brush my head on the ceiling if I'm feeling bouncy. I've just gotten acclimated with the one or two spots I may have to slouch a bit.

I second the view that you can trade up if you want to start making crossings.

Catalac, MaineCat come to mind.
Thanks much for the info. I've recently been discussing the idea of later trading up with the wife as a last resort. Most likely that is the reality of our situation. No one really makes passages safely on a cat in my price range.

Unless like Monte suggested, you built it.
Old 04-04-2015, 21:15   #21

Quote:
Agreed Tom. This points back to my rule number 1.

i'm currently trying to just do Carib and Mexico; but am afraid the bug will bite and i'll end up in the canal moving west. thats the entire reason I created this thread. Any fool can pick a sub $200k cat and sail the Carib. I'm against the odds here trying to find a boat I plan to only do the Carib in, but is capable of getting more accomplished.

You say the PDQ 36 would not be your first choice for a circumnavigation. Would it be a choice at all? In my limited research I have not found anyone doing so in a PDQ. Then again before the risk taken by the Bumfuzzle's no one did it in a Wildcat either.

F-me. Why can't life be backwards? Born with knowledge, wisdom and money. Live like crazy, then get poor and stupid...
Take his advice. If you really get the bug to do an around the world, you will be much better prepared to buy the next boat once you have a couple years under your belt. (not to mention, most of the boats discussed have safely done ocean crossings and since 90% of cruising is hanging out in a harbor, buying the ultimate offshore battle wagon, isn't necessary in most cases)

If you play the odds, you will be much better off buying the boat you need for your current plans, rather than the one you might, possibly, could, maybe, if the stars align, etc... need.

Would you buy a Jeep with 36" mud tires, a 12" lift, lockers all around, etc..., because some day you might decide to go mud bogging but for the foreseeable future you need a vehicle to commute 30miles to work?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 21:26   #22

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

36 Pdqs have done crossings to Europe. They would be ideal for fla, Bahamas and such. We have one and love it. I agree with earlier posters find out what you want as you learn
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:04   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Thanks much for the info. I've recently been discussing the idea of later trading up with the wife as a last resort. Most likely that is the reality of our situation. No one really makes passages safely on a cat in my price range.

Unless like Monte suggested, you built it.

I'm sure there have been countless ocean passages and circumnavigation's done in cats that sold for less than 200k. Older Prout 37's have probably as many blue water miles as any other cat and they can be had for under 100k. How about Wharrams? Very seaworthy and well under 100k. A couple of Heavenly Twins have circumnavigated and you can find them for 20k. This list could go on and on.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:18   #24

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Quote:

As for the Seawind 1160. I like the mechanism used for raising and lowering the motors a lot. Can't say i'm a fan of the tiny saloon or the small fortune people are asking for them.
Seawind 1160 has diesel engines. The brand new 1160 Lite has outboards. The 1000 and 1000XL has outboards.

Based on your comments, you have looked at a 1000 or 1000XL. The 1160 is twice the practical size of the 1000.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:57   #25
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I don't really agree with one cat suitable for Mexico and the Caribbean but not for round the world. Any vessel should be safe and seaworthy and prepared for the worst when sailing offshore. The only downside of smaller cats is payload capacity and liveable space, but that effects you whether you are sailing anywhere. Cats and monos under 30' have successfully and safely sailed around the world. Most cats follow the downwind trades across oceans and the passages more likely to test you and the boat would be closer to shore, upwind, upswell, up current passages such as panama to the Eastern Caribbean or panama to California.
There's really nothing onboard our boat that is specifically for crossing oceans, except maybe the sat phone for weather info. All the rest I would want island hopping the Caribbean as well or living aboard anywhere. A watermaker is a must to keep weight down and for convenience of never having to visit marinas, as is a decent amount of solar to keep things charged and they can be comfortably fitted on any 30' + cat.
There's some good blogs on rtw trips on Seawind 1000's, geminis and bumfuzzles wildcat of course. I like the wildcat design. Katikat has a good detailed blog on their Seawind 1000 adventures as well.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:00   #26
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I don't really agree with one cat suitable for Mexico and the Caribbean but not for round the world. Any vessel should be safe and seaworthy and prepared for the worst when sailing offshore. The only downside of smaller cats is payload capacity and liveable space, but that effects you whether you are sailing anywhere. Cats and monos under 30' have successfully and safely sailed around the world. Most cats follow the downwind trades across oceans and the passages more likely to test you and the boat would be closer to shore, upwind, upswell, up current passages such as panama to the Eastern Caribbean or panama to California.
There's really nothing onboard our boat that is specifically for crossing oceans, except maybe the sat phone for weather info. All the rest I would want island hopping the Caribbean as well or living aboard anywhere. A watermaker is a must to keep weight down and for convenience of never having to visit marinas, as is a decent amount of solar to keep things charged and they can be comfortably fitted on any 30' + cat.
There's some good blogs on rtw trips on Seawind 1000's, geminis and bumfuzzles wildcat of course. I like the wildcat design. Katikat has a good detailed blog on their Seawind 1000 adventures as well.

Great post Monte!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I'm sure there have been countless ocean passages and circumnavigation's done in cats that sold for less than 200k. Older Prout 37's have probably as many blue water miles as any other cat and they can be had for under 100k. How about Wharrams? Very seaworthy and well under 100k. A couple of Heavenly Twins have circumnavigated and you can find them for 20k. This list could go on and on.

Thanks,

I'll research those models as well. I'm only in a rush to learn, no rush to purchase.

The older twin engine Prout has been on my short list for a while, thanks for reaffirming it.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post

Thanks for the input Monte.

I'd much rather one boat for both purposes and fit the budget.
Prior to making this thread my short list was pretty short.

Lagoon 380
Prout Snowgoose Elite (older twin engine model, Quite rare it seems.)

Both have things I dislike, so I reached out for help.
Thanks to you guys I have some new interesting ideas.
I'd absolutely love to have a walk through a PDQ36. If anyone has one on the west coast, or in the Texas Gulf area I'll donate beers for a tour.

The Seawind 1160 lite is intriguing. Admittedly I dislike the Salon, but the rest of the boat seems a dream come true until I reach the price and outfitting cost. Anyone wan tto buy a new one, outfit it, sail it for 3 years then sell it to me at a deep discount? I know, I know, I ain't that charming.