Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Isara Catamarans

This new catamaran line was just recently brought to my attention. I did not see any mention of it here on the forums, but when I googled it I came up with a number of sites,...a few:
Roel de Groot Design - Isara 50 catamaran

ISARA YACHTS - Luxury Sailing

New Isara 50 catamaran. For private pleasure or charter.Luxury meets practicality
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isara 50, ps.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	39528  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:29   #2

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...
Re: Isara Catamarans

Built by Tayana?

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Video Presentation

Old 05-04-2012, 07:40   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
Built by Tayana?

Cheers,
JJ
I suspect so as this friend of mine, Robert Noyce is involved in some manner....likely connecting that boat yard with the design group.
Noyce Yachts (Annapolis, MD)
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:03   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Have they launched any yet? All I have seen are artist renderings.
mbuckely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

I got some notice that it might be at the new spring show in Annapolis MD. I'll have to see if that's true. If so I may go down and have a look as there is an old friend sailmaker I want to talk to as well.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:46   #7

Boat: Still Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
I got some notice that it might be at the new spring show in Annapolis MD. I'll have to see if that's true. If so I may go down and have a look as there is an old friend sailmaker I want to talk to as well.

You are correct. There is one scheduled to be at the spring boat show.

Guy
guyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01   #8

Boat: too many

I have noticed on the most recent offerings of modern sailing cats, no more propane. On this cat use of induction cook top and electric BBQ. Somewhere on this forum a year ago, I stated my next refit would include the dumping of all propane appliances for electric. I wonder if this cat will be powered for propulsion by a hybrid diesel-electric drive system? Electric galley goes hand in hand with diesel-electric drive.

The way of the future if both concepts are employed together IMHO. And of course, a electric powered dinghy.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17   #9

This is all I can find on the first one......

Looks like it is going to need some custom designed davits for the dink.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Where is it made?
Old 06-04-2012, 13:20   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Where is it made?
Taiwan
Ta Jang Yacht Building
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 13:40   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver View Post
You are correct. There is one scheduled to be at the spring boat show.

Guy
I've emailed them directly to ask....just to confirm their latest plans.

I used to be in the multihull business in Annapolis,...in fact one of the very first such (Chesapeake Catamaran, Inc), and I still live reasonable close by. We were the original importer of the Fountain/Pajot catamarans that have now grown so popular, and that this company Bayside Yachts now deals with. But that was a number of years ago 1978-1990

Now I'm just trying to do a little designing and consulting on cruising/exploration/liveaboard vessels,.... ...even looking at monohulls again
Old 06-04-2012, 13:53   #13
Marine Service Provider

Outdoor Cooking, and not all-electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I have noticed on the most recent offerings of modern sailing cats, no more propane. On this cat use of induction cook top and electric BBQ. Somewhere on this forum a year ago, I stated my next refit would include the dumping of all propane appliances for electric.
By this do you mean an electric cooktop embedded into the counter...like many household units?? I would ask that you give serious thought to this. Propane is not really that bad, and its available everywhere in the world.

And you are not requiring a generator to be running to cook a little something. Besides ask any 'chef' in this world if he would cook with electric....just not a controllable 'flame'.

I might suggest one makes accomodations for 'outdoor cooking', like on this power cat. There are many times you don't want to smell up the whole vessel with cooking indoors.

Name:	IMG_7544.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	39584

Name:	IMG_7547.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	39585

Quote:
I wonder if this cat will be powered for propulsion by a hybrid diesel-electric drive system? Electric galley goes hand in hand with diesel-electric drive.

The way of the future if both concepts are employed together IMHO. And of course, a electric powered dinghy.
There was a time I was very big on these diesel electric concepts (and I still harbor the desire to see them perfected), but there are a number of horror stories associated with early deployment of these systems. BEWARE, do lots of reading on the subject.
Old 06-04-2012, 14:59   #14

Re: Outdoor Cooking, and not all-electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
By this do you mean an electric cooktop embedded into the counter...like many household units?? I would ask that you give serious thought to this. Propane is not really that bad, and its available everywhere in the world.

And you are not requiring a generator to be running to cook a little something. Besides ask any 'chef' in this world if he would cook with electric....just not a controllable 'flame'.

I might suggest one makes accomodations for 'outdoor cooking', like on this power cat. There are many times you don't want to smell up the whole vessel with cooking indoors.

Attachment 39584

Attachment 39585

There was a time I was very big on these diesel electric concepts (and I still harbor the desire to see them perfected), but there are a number of horror stories associated with early deployment of these systems. BEWARE, do lots of reading on the subject.
I have been doing a lot of research, even devoted a section of my forum for the collection of experiences and links. Integration of systems

I have designed and built electric vehicles and firmly feel the hybrid diesel-electric propulsion system complimented by a stout 48 volt propulsion/house bank of batteries is the way of the future. The BBQ on the railing will be a common, insulated, 1500 watt unit, and yes, induction cook tops. They bring water to boil faster than calrod or gas, and are very controllable. You ever notice the cooking segments on TV, they all use the induction type hot plate. So easy to clean up as the cooking surface doesn't get hot, the only drawback is your glass/pyrex cookware won't work. Plus, energy efficient. With a large capacity 48 volt battery bank you can do all your electric galley work without running a gen set, and since it is 48 volts, the amperage draw on the DC side of the inverter is 1/4 of what it would be at 12 volts. If solar isn't enough for daily needs, that is where the light and efficient DC diesel charging gen-set earns it keep, being able to be fully loaded during run times, pumping 52 volts at 350 amps into the propulsion/house battery bank. No need for a partial loaded, heavy AC gen-set since with an inverter that would be redundant.
Old 29-04-2012, 17:30   #15

I saw this yacht at the Annapolis Sail boat show this weekend and it is a game changing design. The sense of space and light was amazing - they have used a different method with an arch which has opened up the space and it has the best views of any catamaran I have been on.

The finish was high end, with the feel of a luxury apartment. The appliances were Miele and I was envious of the kitchen - you could not call it a galley. It was more like a New York apartment than a boat.

The model was 4 cabin with each cabin feeling spacious with its own bathroom. They customize each catamaran and you can have 1, 2, or 3 cabins in each hull.

This was an impressive catamaran.