Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 13:14   #16

Re: Is this price correct for new sails?

Or just go to the salvation army and buy a used sail.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 13:28   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Or just go to the salvation army and buy a used sail.
Now there's a helpful reply!
SailorGerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 13:36   #18

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Bknham View Post
I found this on another thread.
I'm looking at 65 foot Cat.
65' is a huge cat. Those huge prices for sails sound ballpark.

Why are you looking at such a big cat?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 14:19   #19

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

There use to be an old addage that says 'for each 3ft you add to boat length the running costs double' seams pretty accurate in my experience. So if a 40ft costs 10k per year to run a 50 will be 60k and a 60 will be about 1/2 million.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 15:47   #20

Boat: Lots of boats.

Remind me not to buy a 70' cat. :-)
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 15:57   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Is this price correct for new sails?

You can find many screaming deals on big power boats too, reason is upkeep is just outrageous, and people that have that kind of money, usually want new.
Many big boats are White Elephants

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/white-elephant

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:42   #22

About a week ago the OP started another thread entitled "I need a living room with a mast in it, an Ocean view, fresh air & a party place". Among his comments was that he'd prolly never leave sight of Fort Lauderdale and her resident chickiebirds. Or was it lobsters?

One wonders if this thread is meant to be serious, and whether sails are really required for the OP's purposes :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:53   #23

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
About a week ago the OP started another thread entitled "I need a living room with a mast in it, an Ocean view, fresh air & a party place". Among his comments was that he'd prolly never leave sight of Fort Lauderdale and her resident chickiebirds. Or was it lobsters?

One wonders if this thread is meant to be serious, and whether sails are really required for the OP's purposes :-)

TrentePieds
I got the impression the OP was one of those guys that my Granny use to describe as "having more money than sense". Many years ago I recall going to the docks at Apalachicola to view a home built Piver 42 that the owner wanted to sell as he had given up his original dream of cruising. What shocked me most was the mast, boom, and sail on the boat; it was from a wrecked Hobie 16.

The OP has several threads that most folks with experience with boats, sail boats, multihulls, or just being around the water would view as containing topics resulting from not knowing much about boats.

What I would point out is that I have seen lots of threads at CF started by folks who were seeking very basic information. The difference between those threads and the threads started by the OP is amount of 'tude.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:51   #24

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

Quality sails are expensive, but good sailmakers are few. Contact Fred at Atlantic Sail Traders in Sarasota, he just built a cruising main for us we could not be happier, great price as well, 60% of Doyle and North quotes.

Atlantic Sail Traders 941-351-6023 or atlanticsailtraders.com
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 09:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Bknham View Post
I found this on another thread.
I'm looking at 65 foot Cat.
There is really no such thing as a 65 foot Cat. There is such a thing as a Fountaine Pajot Galathea 65 as an example of a production catamaran that is 65 feet long. There are also other cats in that size range, some production and some one off.

This makes it hard to say what the cost of a mainsail, or any sail, on a boat that size would be. Is the main a pin head, fat head, big roach, square top, or some other configuration. As a rule a basic dacron pin head might well cost 1/10 what a high tec composite fat head on a performance boat would cost.
Old 04-01-2016, 22:38   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Looking at a FP Victoria 67 the mainsail area is 1270sqft
Dacron 2ply sail would likely start at 12-15k with battens
The old 80ft maxi's had to use dacron. The 70ft clipper race boats still do and they have 1326sqft mainsail area. With enough plying it can work okay but its going to be very heavy..
I have seen a 70ft cat with a single ply dacron main, the shape just turns into a S curve as the cloth can't take it - but you get what you pay for.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:18   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

We would quote a 1280 sq. ft. main for a 65 ft cat, with 6 full battens and 3 reefs, starting around $16,000. This would be for full two ply in a 7 or 8 oz high modulus dacron. (Total weights around 13.5 oz. to 16 oz.)
Of course for Hydra Net, Spectra Cruise, Carbon Cruise, the prices would go up but not to $50,000!
We specialize in multihulls and have more experience in these types of sails than other Florida Sailmakers
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecalvert View Post
SNIP

Of course for Hydra Net, Spectra Cruise, Carbon Cruise, the prices would go up but not to $50,000!

SNIP
When I had a new working jib made for my Seawind I contacted Calvert but had some issues with phone contact as Dave seems to be in the Bahamas. Still he does get good reviews.

I had Mack Sails build the jib. When I spoke to them on the phone I mentioned Hydra Net and was told it was basically twice the cost of dacron and might last not quite twice as long. So you could get two dacron jibs for the price of one Hydra Net and half way through the life of a Hydra Net sail you would wind up with a brand new sail, not a sail that had been some what stretched for half its expected life.

For someone who is racing the extra speed of high tec sails may be worth it but for someone like me it seemed to make more sense to buy two dacron sails every 6-10 years as opposed to one Hydra Net sail every 6-10 years.

Not saying the 6-10 years is the expected life for everyone. But I have been accused of being too careful about weather windows and never going out in heavy weather.

Funny, I thought that was the idea.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:29   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

[QUOTE=tomfl;2007019]When I had a new working jib made for my Seawind I contacted Calvert but had some issues with phone contact as Dave seems to be in the Bahamas. Still he does get good reviews.

I had Mack Sails build the jib. When I spoke to them on the phone I mentioned Hydra Net and was told it was basically twice the cost of dacron and might last not quite twice as long. So you could get two dacron jibs for the price of one Hydra Net and half way through the life of a Hydra Net sail you would wind up with a brand new sail, not a sail that had been some what stretched for half its expected life.

Sorry to hear there were phone issues when calling Calvert Sails. I do live in the Bahamas more than half the year but, am easily reached by e mail and phone and sit at my desk during full business hours as company designer.

I tell clients there are two lifes to a sail, life of the material and the "performance life" This is how long a sail will maintain it's designed shape.
It is true the Hydra Net and Cruise Carbon sails will be about twice the cost of dacron but, will have a much longer performance life. On the smaller multihulls, dacron can be fine. On a 65 ft cat, higher tech materials have a place.

Dave Calvert
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:29   #30

[QUOTE=davecalvert;2007033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
SNIP

It is true the Hydra Net and Cruise Carbon sails will be about twice the cost of dacron but, will have a much longer performance life. On the smaller multihulls, dacron can be fine. On a 65 ft cat, higher tech materials have a place.

Dave Calvert
Hi Dave,

Sail life is always hard to determine. I had a good friend blow out his new Genoa right after he bought it in a 40 knot blow. On the other hand I have never had my screecher up in more than 15 knots, have a good sun strip on it and take it down when I am laid up. As for the screecher I tend to roll it up past the mast when I tack or jibe so it does not touch the mast, spreaders, or stays.

You were definitely in the running for my new sails. But when I called your office we discussed building the sail and I was told to measure the sail and send in the specs. Mack has built screechers, jibs, and mains (both square top and big roach) for Seawind and basically said forget me sending the specs they already knew what they were and gave me the name of other Seawind owners who had had Mack build their sails. Funny thing was some of the names were Seawind owners I knew who had recommend Mack.

Which brings up an interesting point. Asking the cost of sails may well result in a different estimate if one loft has build several sails for a particular brand of boat and another loft is building those sails for the first time. My fboat friends speak very highly of Calvert and if I was still sailing an fboat your loft would most likely be my first choice.

I have no idea what goes into building sails or how the cost is determined. I do have a high school classmate who works for Doyle and he has indicated Doyle would cost more than Calvert or Mack, but he claims for pure racing Doyle makes a better sail.

YMMV

Tags
price, sail, sails