Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2010, 05:57   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Insurance for Old Wooden Tri ?

Is it possible to get insurance for something like a 1983 Crowther Impala cold molded with ply decks? If so what would be a ball park figure? What companies might I try contacting?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 11:26   #2

Boat: Islander 34
depends on what kind of insurance.

I just got liability-only for my Searunner 37 trimaran from a company specializing in offshore liability insurance. It cost me $800 for the year - no other company around would even consider my boat for some reason, they all said that trimarans weren't allowed according to their underwriters...
Old 21-06-2010, 14:51   #3
cruiser

I want full comprehensive insurance. I went to look at a searunner 40 and the guy who owned it had full comprehensive for $1200 a year, but he said it wouldn't be likely he would be able to transfer it. The boat was only 10 years old when he started the policy.
Old 22-06-2010, 16:38   #4
cruiser

Not much response to this question. Does this mean no one insures their tri?
Old 27-06-2010, 18:08   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Allstate. It costs me about $400 per year. Meets my yacht club requirement for liability. By full comprehensive, I assume you mean that if anything happens to it, you can collect some money? Not likely, given this economy and the large number of folks who would otherwise buy old wooden boats and have sudden, mysterious accidents. Would you insure an old wooden boat for full comprehensive? My boat is plywood epoxy, 30-some years old. I have a reasonable policy that covers me for $50,000 hull loss, large deductible, significant medical and liability, provides me with discounts for my captain's license, safety equipment, and long history with no claims.

Why do you need full comprehensive? Actually, I don't want to know. It seems odd.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 18:44   #6
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Try Heritage Marine Insurance. They insure a lot of woodies.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 18:55   #7

Haggerty Insurance in Michigan, I think? They do older wooden boats and othe special boats. Just google them, I'm sure you'll find their contact info.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 19:07   #8
cruiser

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Why do you need full comprehensive? Actually, I don't want to know. It seems odd.
Are you for real? Its because its a lot of money and I am going half shares with a mate and if one of us is at fault causing the loss of the boat (which will be sailed for thousands of miles not just around the bay) it will solve a lot of problems later.

Anyhow the tri I was looking at turned out to be a lemon.
Old 27-06-2010, 20:51   #9

So, it seems that the insurance issue has now progressed to cruising insurance? I think there are a number of previous threads discussing the substantial costs of taking out an international policy, and comprehensive at that, it becomes amazingly expensive.

An option for those with less extensive resources is often to spend the money on safety and nav gear, and to maintain the vessel in top condition, then carry the minimum you would need for your own personal concerns.

The part I find most disturbing is the last comment you made, regarding "fault" on the part of partners, leading to the loss of the boat. This could be the source for some rich discussion, far beyond the simple economics of risk management.
Old 27-06-2010, 21:14   #10
cruiser

**** happens mate. No matter how many precautions you take. I was just trying to find out what others have been paying so I could get an idea as I hear this kind of boat is very difficult to insure. I wasn't expecting to have my motives questioned.

The same day I looked at the Crowther Impala I also looked at a 41 foot mono. The owner of the mono is only paying 560usd a year for comprehensive insurance which includes 200 mile radius around NZ and Australia. When he made the trip from NZ to AU he got a temp extension for $200 to cover that trip until he got here. Those prices seem reasonable on a 75K yacht.

A few weeks ago I actually looked at a Searunner 40. 1990 built. Nice boat. The owner has comprehensive insurance for about 900usd, but it is not international. He says although he has got the insurance it would be much harder for me to get it since he has had the insurance for 10 years and its just an old plywood boat now.
Old 28-06-2010, 07:51   #11

Sorry, Dennis, I intended no disrespect. Good luck on your search for a good tri and may you find the insurances you desire.