Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 18:22   #1

Insurance claim query

We were anchored in NSW Australia and a motor boat that was attempting to anchor nearby smashed into our portside hull. I presumed that we could make a claim on the motor boats insurance and he provided details and admitted liability to us. However our insurance company advised us to claim through our insurance.

They said that we would have all our expenses covered and that it would not affect our no claim history, then at the end of the phone call said that we would still have to pay the excess! ($3,500) I questioned this and asked wouldn't they be making a claim through the motor boats insurance. They said they would try but seemed half hearted about it and the claim form they sent gives no section for naming other parties at fault.

Any advice re who to best claim from? - Our insurance (Topsail) their insurance (Pantaenius)
Redfred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:01   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Insurance claim query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfred1 View Post
We were anchored in NSW Australia and a motor boat that was attempting to anchor nearby smashed into our portside hull. I presumed that we could make a claim on the motor boats insurance and he provided details and admitted liability to us. However our insurance company advised us to claim through our insurance.

They said that we would have all our expenses covered and that it would not affect our no claim history, then at the end of the phone call said that we would still have to pay the excess! ($3,500) I questioned this and asked wouldn't they be making a claim through the motor boats insurance. They said they would try but seemed half hearted about it and the claim form they sent gives no section for naming other parties at fault.

Any advice re who to best claim from? - Our insurance (Topsail) their insurance (Pantaenius)
Been there done that, the other party's insurance was Club Marine, tried the direct claim to them but basically the response was go **** yourself.
My insurance said sure you are covered, send the excess and we will arrange repairs but little to no likelihood of recovery from other party. Probably cheaper to affect repairs yourself and not have any increases in the next year, which is what I did. My insurance co was quite open about it and the advice ultimately saved me money.
God I hate Allianz aka Club Marine.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:38   #3

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Redfred,
sorry to hear of the mishap. My understanding is that you alwasy make a claim through your own insurance company with all the details. Same as your car. Unfortunatley you initially have to pay the excess but your insurance company then should go after the other party/insurance company for cost of repairs and excess which ultimatley should be refunded to you.
I hope you made a official report to police or water authority so there is a record of the incident.

Greg H

Lake Macquarie
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:27   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440

If you claim on yours kiss goodbye to your excess, I would send the other boats owner the bill and let him hand it to his insurance company
harvey hellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:58   #5

Boat: Privilege 435

Your claim is against the guy that hit you, not your insurance company or his. You claim against him and if he chooses to enter a claim to his insurance company then that is his decision. If he is reasonable and you explain this, hopefully things will get sorted for you without you being out of pocket.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ranger 25 Tug

Absolutely correct!

Make sure to report the incident to your insurer as just a Report of An Incident as well as to his, as a Claim.

If his insurer turns you down, THEN upgrade your report of the incident to a claim with your insurer.

Tags
insurance